Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running Fox 2.0 Performance Series coilovers and there's a few things I dislike about them.
1. The springs only have a spring rate of 400lbs.
2. My biggest dislike is that I need to remove the coilovers from the vehicle and use a spring compressor to make adjustments to the spring retainer by hand, which I've done a few times and is a huge pain. Additionally, there is no spanner wrench for making adjustments.

I currently have some P&P Engineering sliders and will be running a Coastal Offroad steel bumper with the radiator skid soon (126lbs combined). Instead of replacing the springs with some that have a higher spring rate, I was looking to maybe just replace the coilovers. That being said, can anyone running the MKIIs provide some feedback regarding what you like and don't like? How is the ride quality both on and off-road? My Xterra is used as a daily driver at the moment. Lastly, are the MKIIs rebuildable?

If I do end up getting the MKIIs, would anybody be interested in buying my Fox 2.0s? I bought them new and installed them on my Xterra on September 2, 2021 and they currently have 5,515 miles on them. The MKIIs have a 4-8 week lead time, so I would have to keep and drive with the Fox coilovers until I receive the Nisstec's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had the MKII on for a few thousand miles now and can say they handle amazing. I went on a limb purchasing them since there isn't a lot of information regarding them, but happy I did.

I have a very heavy fully built Xterra and went with 650lb springs that feel great. They handle great on road and off-road. I even accidentally got all four wheels off the ground and landed in what I thought was going to be a disaster, but they handled it like a champ without bottoming out. I just got them installed in the rear too but am yet to test them out.

Yes, they are rebuildable. I was coming from OME HD coils. They had a lot of miles on them and were sagging pretty bad. I tried running no sway bar on the old coils, and thought the truck handled horribly. I removed the sway bar on the MKIIs and it rides amazing, even on the highway doing 80+ mph.

I also just dealt with adjusting them. took me about 45min to do both coils, I didn't have to remove the tires, just lifted the front up. Wouldn't say it was the easiest thing, but not even comparable to other coilovers. IMO the Nisstec MKII are the best, unless you want to go the more budget route and get OME/Bilsteins. I really can't think of anything I don't like about them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the MKII on for a few thousand miles now and can say they handle amazing. I went on a limb purchasing them since there isn't a lot of information regarding them, but happy I did.

I have a very heavy fully built Xterra and went with 650lb springs that feel great. They handle great on road and off-road. I even accidentally got all four wheels of the ground and landed in what I thought was going to be a disaster, but they handled it like a champ without bottoming out. I just got them installed in the rear too but am yet to test them out.

Yes, they are rebuildable. I was coming from OME HD coils. They had a lot of miles on them and were sagging pretty bad. I tried running no sway bar on the old coils, and thought the truck handled horribly. I removed the sway bar on the MKIIs and it rides amazing, even on the highway doing 80+ mph.

I also just dealt with adjusting them. took me about 45min to do both coils, I didn't have to remove the tires, just lifted the front up. Wouldn't say it was the easiest thing, but not even comparable to other coilovers. IMO the Nisstec MKII are the best, unless you want to go the more budget route and get OME/Bilsteins. I really can't think of anything I don't like about them.
Do you have the extended travel MKII's? I'm pretty sure I would need to get extended brake lines to run the 3" lift. Also, how much did you end up paying for the rear shocks? I only see the rears available with the full lift kit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have the extended travel MKII's? I'm pretty sure I would need to get extended brake lines to run the 3" lift. Also, how much did you end up paying for the rear shocks? I only see the rears available with the full lift kit.
Yes, I have the extended travels with their smallest top plate spacer (comes with them). Nisstec says you need extended brake lines, PRG says you don't. I didn't get them and while they are near the end of their length, they seem fine. If you match that amount of lift in the rear, you will need extended brake lines or to do the bracket mod which raises the lines an inch or so. This is what I did.

Rear shocks were under $400 after tax and shipping. They're not on the site, but you can call and order them (just need to specify your lift height) If I remember correctly, they currently have the 3-4in lift shocks available with no lead times. Keep in mind you will also need UCA and to grind your coil bucket for 3in of lift upfront.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts