Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving back home tonight, I hear this terrific racket from my rear driver side, like something rapidly banging against the body. At first I thought my Firestik mount had had it and it was dangling from the coax, but a side mirror check revealed it was still up there. I make it home, and of course the first thing I hear is a hissing noise coming from my month-old Duratrac.

Only thing that could have caused that noise was a longer keychain whacking on the fender (no other damage to note). So much hate.

Bonus: free replacement if Town Fair Tire can't fix it. Unbonus: gotta drive there on a 30.6" spare.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer. I'm guessing those are not load range E's... Also, why not have a matching spare?
Because I couldn't afford one when I got the four. I was actually expecting to put this week's paycheck into one. Looks like I'll be getting a random cheapo 33" spare while I'm at the tire shop...if they have anything for a 17" rim.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I left a bolt under a truck once and guess what happened, yep the customer had a blow out a mile down the road.

Sorry man.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as it turns out Duratracs are not covered under Town Fair Tire's road hazard warranty (not wholly unexpected), so all that scratch I was saving for a matching spare is now going toward a replacement.

I'm going to put this key on Craigslist and demand a fee for its return.

Now I'm going to spend what's left in my bank account on an lunch full of meats and bad carbs.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
That's a bad situation ... sorry to see it happen.

I'm going to put this key on Craigslist and demand a fee for its return.
Hope you can return it to its rightful owner.
At velocity.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
You think you picked that up off the road? Or someone "keyed" your tires?

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Duratracs aren't covered... wtf?!

what the hell would be covered then? Normal driving tires?
Exactly!

T did you pay for road hazard warranty? Something sounds off with this. I just checked the website and it said see store for details. Did they tell you upon purchase of the tires they wouldnt be covered, or was anything conspicuously posted saying they werent covered, or even mentioned in the fine print? It seems to me they can just make it up as they go along.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You think you picked that up off the road? Or someone "keyed" your tires?
Unless there is someone out there willing to stand on an active surface streetcar track in the middle of a busy street at night with sufficient strength to punch through a Duratrac sidewall moving at 30mph...or I ran over a mime. Since no one honked at me and there have been no police reports regarding a modified Xterra, I'm assuming someone dropped their keys into the tracks and I picked them up when I crossed over.

what the hell would be covered then? Normal driving tires?
I guess so. Same rationale as Firestone's allegedly not honoring lifetime alignments on lifted vehicles - potential abuse of the system by offroaders.

T did you pay for road hazard warranty? Something sounds off with this. I just checked the website and it said see store for details. Did they tell you upon purchase of the tires they wouldnt be covered, or was anything conspicuously posted saying they werent covered, or even mentioned in the fine print? It seems to me they can just make it up as they go along.
90 Day Road Hazard is supposed to be included with all tire purchases, so I'm looking for my receipt now to double check. The rep did look it up on his computer (he's an offroader himself and was the manager in charge when I made my first purchase) so, as stated above, I wouldn't be surprised if offroad tires weren't covered. Even Goodyear doesn't warranty Duratracs against road hazards.

Regardless, a new Duratrac needed to be ordered and I didn't put any money down today.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Unless there is someone out there willing to stand on an active surface streetcar track in the middle of a busy street at night with sufficient strength to punch through a Duratrac sidewall moving at 30mph...or I ran over a mime. Since no one honked at me and there have been no police reports regarding a modified Xterra, I'm assuming someone dropped their keys into the tracks and I picked them up when I crossed over.
Perhaps... OR perhaps it was a jaded Honda Pilot owner who saw your X, in all its glory and waited in the shadows with a mallet... using the only available item they had at hand to destroy what obviously were brand new Duratracs. Screw getting into my Pilot ever again - I'm taking out these Duratracs!

·
on line
515 Posts
Where's the rest of the Honda?

Usually when I run over a Prius, there at least is some other debris than the key...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts