Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there here is the situation. I have a 2005 Nissan 4wd Xterra with
110,000 miles on it no other previous issues. It recently was having trouble starting so I had to get it jump started about three times. I decided to take the factory battery to Autozone to get it charged and I figured since it was so old of a battery to get a new one anyway so I bought a Duralast one there along with new battery terminals since mine had some corrosion on them. I installed the new battery terminals and battery and it still wouldn't start.I inspected the wiring harness and it seems fine no exposed wiring. I took the starter to Autozone and had them test it a couple of times to be on the safe side and they stated it's a good starter. It's getting power to run all the dashboard electrics,headlights,radio,etc... but whenever I turn the key all I hear is a couple of clicks.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hello and welcome.

When you did the terminals you may have not gotten the connections all back together well, and that would cause your starter not to engage. That may not be the problem, but it's where I would start given the information you provided.

Most people don't do battery terminals properly. I'm guilty of this and it's bitten me a few times. Ideally you want a good quality connector that allows you to solder the connections into it, then cover with heat shrink.

While that is ideal, you can get by with other types, but they will be more prone to fail.

I've had decent luck with these:

Avoid these, they are junk:

These are probably best, sodier these onto the cables and attach to a good post clamp:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Agreed, the nissan terminals are crap. I had to use a big fat nut to make the negative terminal compress enough where I couldn't move it with my hand. I ended up going with these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ei=DGKnUpr2NcP3oASlrYDoCg&ved=0CMICEPMCMAo4KA

I like the soft metal that is able to be cranked down easily and get a good grip on the terminal, but as airmapper said I do not like the middle ones that he listed as they do not have a tight enough connection between the terminal and wire. Those 2 bolts strip easily!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Airmapper and N.Y.X I will try that. I unfortunately did buy the red and black ones pictured above at Autozone. I will head out and get some new ones and try that. Much appreciated from one Xterra owner to another.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Agreed, the nissan terminals are crap. I had to use a big fat nut to make the negative terminal compress enough where I couldn't move it with my hand. I ended up going with these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ei=DGKnUpr2NcP3oASlrYDoCg&ved=0CMICEPMCMAo4KA

I like the soft metal that is able to be cranked down easily and get a good grip on the terminal, but as airmapper said I do not like the middle ones that he listed as they do not have a tight enough connection between the terminal and wire. Those 2 bolts strip easily!
I just posted a thread about terminals the other day and didn't get far. I'll buy those you posted. I need room to hook up junk to the battery instead of the stock terminals which have no additional posts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I just posted a thread about terminals the other day and didn't get far. I'll buy those you posted. I need room to hook up junk to the battery instead of the stock terminals which have no additional posts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Excellent man, glad they'll work for you! I researched some fancier ones that had multiple connection points but these seemed to be more than enough and beefier for my fuse box P/G wires as well as adding a winch!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning to all. A quick update from my thread. I went and bought new terminals and they fit nice and tight. I still got nothing after several attempts. I remembered I had read some random thread about shaking the car to start it. I went under the Xterra and tinkered with the starter for a bit. I then got back in my car put it in Neutral and shook it back and forth moved it a bit fwd and then attempted to start it and bam it worked. I drove it around the block a few times turned it off and on several times and all seems good right now. I'm just not sure if it's a quick fix. Any suggestions or advice as to what may have happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts