Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, our names are Anton & Snow. We currently live in Arizona and own two dogs. We used to own a 2004 Xterra before we rolled it in an accident in 2010. We are looking into a newer vehicle and thought of the Xterra again. It looks like the 2014's are coming out at the end of the month, and we were looking at getting one if anybody could give us any insight. We love the outdoors and would like to get the Pro-4X. Again any info on the Pro-4X or new models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and look forward to hearing any and all responses.

Anton & Snow
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of info are you looking for?
I guess just some insight maybe into the second gens or the pro-4x model. Is the pro-4x worth it? Do you like your second gen if that's what you own? What's the difference from the first to the second gens. We owned an 2wd 04 and loved it. Just maybe basic knowledge questions like that. Thanks for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The first gen Xterras were crude and smaller. The second gens are larger and a bit more evolved. If you enjoyed a 2wd why not get a crossover with awd or something like the Outback. More room than the X and better mpgs. IMO Pro 4x isnt worth it except maybe the stereo. For the same money you get a Wrangler Unlimited S with a comparable stereo, more room, more features and a removable top.

I guess just some insight maybe into the second gens or the pro-4x model. Is the pro-4x worth it? Do you like your second gen if that's what you own? What's the difference from the first to the second gens. We owned an 2wd 04 and loved it. Just maybe basic knowledge questions like that. Thanks for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
308 Posts
The question of being worth it really depends on how you intend to use it. I have both a first and second generation model and each has its advantages. If I were using it as an everyday vehicle and not doing any tough off roaring I'd use a non Pro 4X second gen. Better power, mileage, and comfort.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question of being worth it really depends on how you intend to use it. I have both a first and second generation model and each has its advantages. If I were using it as an everyday vehicle and not doing any tough off roaring I'd use a non Pro 4X second gen. Better power, mileage, and comfort.

We'd like to do some medium to possibly heavy off roading (just no rock crawling or extreme stuff). We'd also like to join the azxc. We enjoyed the club at the event we attended along time ago with our previous X but back then our X was only 2wd so we have to have 4wd this time. I would like to put better kc lights on it and I've read dump the bumper and plastic flaps. Again any feedback would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If there is any chance you are going to get into off roading the pro4x is worth it. The other features are nice too.

The first gen Xterras were crude and smaller. The second gens are larger and a bit more evolved. If you enjoyed a 2wd why not get a crossover with awd or something like the Outback. More room than the X and better mpgs. IMO Pro 4x isnt worth it except maybe the stereo. For the same money you get a Wrangler Unlimited S with a comparable stereo, more room, more features and a removable top.
Sure.. Subaru if you like lack luster performance and wrangler is great for death wobble, wind noise, and leaks.

Maybe I am biased. I love my X.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Biggest difference between the 1st and 2nd gens is power - 2gens have nearly double the pull over even a supercharged 1st gen. That said, 1st gens have lower gear ratios (better for rock crawling) than the PRO-4X. I've also heard that they're easier to SAS than a 2gen if that is in your plans. Last time I went wheeling, the 1st gen in front of me feathered down a hill in first gear while I had to ride my brakes (also in first) for much of the descent. My X is an SE with 3.13 gears and a nonlocking C200k rear and even with stock tires I could do some moderate trails without many issues. The locker just makes things easier; if you're rolling with a group then there might not be much reason to use it.

2ng gen is a bit bigger (and heavier), and has better thought-out storage areas. The side steps in the rear bumper are also an excellent upgrade.

All that in consideration, I would say to look into a lightly used 2012. There have been many tales of shoddy quality in the trucks coming out of the Canton, MS line (2013+) and if the rumors are true there won't be a 2015 X.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The first gen is tons easier to put a solid axle under. But that doesn't sound like it's in your future. I think you could benefit from the Pro 4x model. I'd start by pulling any side steps and mudflapa off and invest in a set of sliders. Use it like that and decide if you feel you need more capability. Upgrading your tires is optional but highly recommended.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the leather package worth it. I've heard you get better tires, rims, and suspension. I would have to get the navigation as well, does anybody know how well it is, or just how well the over all stereo is. I would be playing a lot of stuff from my iPhone (Internet radio, podcasts, iTunes music & what have you). Thank you all for your help and input so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
There are two trims that come with leather either standard or as an option.

The SE trim (available up until 2010) features leather and usually a "tech package" which includes Bluetooth funcionality on later years, as well as an upgraded Rockford-Fosgate radio. The SE rims are 17" which can limit future tire options, either in the form of four large spokes (05-08) or an eight-pronged "snowflake" (which is a remodeled version of a 1st gen rim). Everything else on the SE is unchanged from the S trim.

The other trim, Off-Road/PRO-4X, does the same. Additionally, the leather seats have contrast stitching (color changes depending on the model year) and, on recent models, the PRO-4X logo. The rims for this package are painted (05-08) or polished (09+) six-spoke rims in 16". The Off-Road or PRO-4X models also come with upgraded Bilstein suspension and slightly larger tires, in addition to the bells and whistles in the transmission. Adding leather to the PRO-4X does not change the rim.

Both trims were combined into what is now the PRO-4X.

The most recent Xterra models come with iPod functionality, though most with Rockford-Fosgate systems have audio jacks that will work with anything. As to navigation, look up member ratmyr and his experience with his new 2013 - he's not a complete fan of it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I went the cheap route and bought a 2 year old used "X" model and just built it up for cheaper (plus its more fun). Paid 18.8K for it. It doesnt have a locking rear and the options stink, but whatevs! I got away with a low monthly payment that I can use for mods

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So without the leather package on the Pro-4x you don't get the upgraded tires, rims and suspension, correct? What about the upgraded stereo, is that standard in the Pro-4x? We wouldn't really want the leather seats but if it gets you the other stuff good for taking it off road, I would get the package. Thanks to everybody to all their input. We'll have to check one out when they are available.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
So without the leather package on the Pro-4x you don't get the upgraded tires, rims and suspension, correct? What about the upgraded stereo, is that standard in the Pro-4x? We wouldn't really want the leather seats but if it gets you the other stuff good for taking it off road, I would get the package. Thanks to everybody to all their input. We'll have to check one out when they are available.
The PRO-4X always has upgraded tires, suspension, drivetrain, 6-spoke rims, and Rockford-Fosgate stereo as standard equipment. Leather is just a standalone option and has no bearing on the other accessories, with the exception of the fold-flat passenger seat (which does not fold in leather).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The PRO-4X always has upgraded tires, suspension, drivetrain, 6-spoke rims, and Rockford-Fosgate stereo as standard equipment. Leather is just a standalone option and has no bearing on the other accessories, with the exception of the fold-flat passenger seat (which does not fold in leather).
So the leather upgrade, is just leather seats and nothing else right? When we get a pro-4x what should we change or upgrade. We also have a cb and a scanner we'd like to install. Thanks for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
So the leather upgrade, is just leather seats and nothing else right?
You are correct. As I said, you won't get a fold-flat passenger seat with the leather package, so if you want one make sure to find one with cloth seats.

When we get a pro-4x what should we change or upgrade. We also have a cb and a scanner we'd like to install. Thanks for your help.
Common first mods include removal of stock step rails and mud flaps, they typically get in the way when going offroad and could even cause damage to the body if you hit them the right way. Also look into the rear differential breather extension - it'll save you the potential headache of the stock breather getting stuck open and allowing water into the diff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any good places we would be able to put a cb radio and scanner. I can't remember if there was room in our first gen. We loved our X but were considering a 4runner. Once we thought about the X again, we knew. We loved our X before and would probably still have it if we didn't roll it. We would also be pulling a travel trailer. We currently have a 2003 Dodge diesel 2500 to pull our 34' fifth wheel. We're just looking to down size and loved the size and no frills of the xterra. Like they say everything you need and nothing you don't
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Some smaller CBs can fit inside the center console. Otherwise, there's a little cubby right in front of the shifter that you can jam a CB into. If you don't mind something up high, you can use the dash cubby as well. Some guys have even done a single-DIN conversion and put CBs in the head unit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts