Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was looking at that round plastic cap that is in the place of the 4wd selector.....and i started thinking that an aftermarket gauge might fit in quite nicely.

I busted out my tape measure and sure enough, that hole is 2" in diameter which is the size a lot of aftermarket gauges come with....

has anyone else here has tried this? I guess i need to check out how much clearance behind the panel there is....

I want to add a more accurate voltmeter to my X since I plan on adding a fairly large audio/video system later on.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
There was a guy awhile back who put an air/fuel gauge in there. I've been
looking but since the X uses wide band O2 sensors, the A/F gauge costs
WAY more.

I've thought about putting in a separate narrow band O2 sensor but hasn't
happened yet.

·
on line
844 Posts
I was going to put a little plexiglass tank and a Betta fish in there. It seemed like the most logical choice.

For real though, I'm going to put my center channel speaker there so I'll have 5.1 surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnndddddddd sound!!!

·
on line
1,361 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
... so I'll have 5.1 surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnndddddddd sound!!!
yeah boy, ya heard. :geek:

Sorry that is what popped into my head.

Wouldn't you want the center channel speaker higher or are you aiming it up? I have no clue but thought ear level is better for the center channel.

·
on line
844 Posts
lostboy said:
Wouldn't you want the center channel speaker higher or are you aiming it up? I have no clue but thought ear level is better for the center channel.
You're right, but there's no ear level empty panel that isn't being used :)

·
on line
191 Posts
I would install a fun meter.

·
on line
22 Posts
a compound inclinometer would be cool there - a round analog one like the one in the FJ Cruiser (guage farthest to the right in the pic...) I've searched around a bit but can't find one.

·
on line
187 Posts
that meter in the FJ is more the $400....i asked the dealer right when the fj came out.....long time ago....but for an inclinometer a compass and themometer.....thats a rediculous price....even though it looks really cool and those three meters are what the X's really lack

·
on line
22 Posts
I understand - I'm not saying that guage cluster, just an inclinometer similar to the one pictured. Or an exterior thermometer would be great too.

·
on line
82 Posts
Exterior thermometer can be done easily by adding an after market mirror. I got mine off e-bay with exterior temp, compass and homelink. Love it.

·
on line
266 Posts
it's an altimeter -- tells you your elevation

·
on line
278 Posts
cookX said:
this one looks like it will mesh with the x a little better looks-wise

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180114634020&rd=1&rd=1
I just bought this one. Not from this guy, but from another guy on EvilBay. It looks pretty bad-ass, however, it is just a tad bit bigger than the little cubby that is on the dash (I am assuming that all trims of the 05+ have the same dash cubby.) I am a little concerned as to how to go about mounting it. It is appearing at this present point in time that I will have to do a little dashboard cutting in order to get it to fit attractively. That panel that sits in the direct middle of the dash is pretty darn easy to get out. Now I just have to figure out what the hell I am doing when it comes to mounting the thing. *sigh*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts