Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is for everyone who wants to know if removing the rear sway bar makes much difference to your rear flex. I know that everyone knows that it DOES make a difference, but there are always those who feel like they need to see the results before they remove it.

this is before. 100% stock.

this is after just the removal of the rear sway bar only

I hope this helps.

here are the links to the photos if you can't see them.

before:

http://s876.photobucket.com/user/2011XTERROR/media/xterra1_zps7dabd36f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

after:

http://s876.photobucket.com/user/2011XTERROR/media/photo1_zpsf3084a33.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you get before and after measurements? Or just the photos?
just the photos. I should have done measurements, but I didn't think about it until after I took it off. and I really wasn't willing to put it back on to measure to take it off again. sorry though.

the bright side is, that in the photo of it being removed, the rear tire is on the ground still and it's very noticeable! ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
man I need to get rid of my sway bar......... on my snowmobile. sucks I trailer a ton or it'd be gone on the truck too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pardon the dumb question but how does this help? Is it just to get you some extra wheel travel when 4 wheeling? How does it affect your highway handling? Towing?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Pardon the dumb question but how does this help? Is it just to get you some extra wheel travel when 4 wheeling? How does it affect your highway handling? Towing?
Thanks,
Bill
Yup extra travel and the ability for the wheel to travel in opposite directions. handling will be affected by what springs you have and the amount of lift. I have light springs and a lot of lift so its quite a ride on the highway... towing seems ok though.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Iv had ppl who told me after they took the sway bars off the truck....welll...sways alot...esp on curvy highwayroads..entrance ramps
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iv had ppl who told me after they took the sway bars off the truck....welll...sways alot...esp on curvy highwayroads..entrance ramps
Posted via Mobile Device
you hardly notice a difference. only if you brake and turn, but if you drive like a normal person anyway, you won't hardly notice a difference. people that drive my truck for the first time don't ever complain about body roll.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
most of the roll control on the road comes from the front bar, especially when braking and turning at the same time, like when you're trying to make that left turn arrow before it changes.

I pulled my rear sway a while back when i did my lift, but i've since put it back on and removed the front sway. I have a thread in the suspension section about it.

Here's mine with just the rear bar. I'm thinking about pulling the rear sway off again and running with no sways.

lifted with front sway only:

lifted with both swaybars:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been hesitant to removing my rear sway bar, as I'm usually pretty sensitive to changes in a vehicles behavior. But people aren't lying about it, almost no difference. Only time it's noticeable is when I'm driving it like I used to drive my miata. Even then almost no difference. If you hit trails, ever, like even once a year, it is worth it to remove it IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts