Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
The write-up is under the how-to section. Just swapped mine out with the Koyo this weekend. It has a brass cooler. The Denso has a brass cooler as well. The write-up is excellent. You need three hands installing the new one. Lol. The Koyo was $125 from an independent parts house. They had it for me in one day. Fits perfectly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2005 Xterra with an Automatic Transmission and just went over 100k miles. I'm running Matic-S, but still have one of the first radiators (21460 EA265). I haven't done the bypass and I've been running fine thus far, thankfully, but I'm going to change out the radiator just to be safe. I've been spending the past few days and a lot of hours researching all the threads scattered around this site.

The only two options for replacement are to go OEM or aftermarket. After calling Nissan and working through a buddy, dealer cost on the "fixed" radiator (21460 9CA2E) would be $480.88. If I go aftermarket, Koyo or Spectra seem to be the way to go for around $150-$180, or going to Discount Auto and getting one of theirs with a 2 year warranty. I really am one to err on the side of caution and usually replace with all OEM stuff, but after speaking with my mechanic, it seems that the extra money spent on OEM stuff isn't necessary.

That brings me to where I am now. While I've found countless people saying they've replaced theirs, I haven't found many updates as to how they've been working out since then. So here goes:

1. What brand did you go with?

2. Who did you buy it through?

3. Did you install it yourself, or have a mechanic do it?

4. How many miles have you driven since replacing?

5. What has been your experience thus far?

6. Any complaints, concerns, or insight? (Hindsight is always 20/20 ;))
I've been checking with Nissan dealers in the Salt Lake City area and the OEM replacement radiator is about $265. Labor runs between $210 and $270.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 2010 was produced in September 2009. My radiator had the 21460-Z11A part number. Just replaced ATF and coolant, and put in an aftermarket oem-style radiator at 140k miles - ToughOne from Advance Auto/Carquest. Paid under $150 after online 20% discount and using speedperks coupons. No SMOD for 140k miles, but I was living on borrowed time. Still using Matic S and Nissan blue longlife Coolant. Replaced radiator caps with correct Stant 42 and 16 psi parts, and replaced upper and lower hoses. No problems with install. No leaks. So far, only a thousand miles logged, but all good so far.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
My 2010 was produced in September 2009. My radiator had the 21460-Z11A part number. Just replaced ATF and coolant, and put in an aftermarket oem-style radiator at 140k miles - ToughOne from Advance Auto/Carquest. Paid under $150 after online 20% discount and using speedperks coupons. No SMOD for 140k miles, but I was living on borrowed time. Still using Matic S and Nissan blue longlife Coolant. Replaced radiator caps with correct Stant 42 and 16 psi parts, and replaced upper and lower hoses. No problems with install. No leaks. So far, only a thousand miles logged, but all good so far.
Sounds like you did everything right! Enjoy!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,242 Posts
Just finished a 3+ week, 4100+ mile overlanding trip to Cabo San Lucas with a relatively new Koyo P/N A2807 radiator.

No issues whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
4,242 Posts
. . . Why does there seem to be a preference for koyo? For example, the spectra is $70. . . .
Koyo radiators are high quality, direct fit replacements for OEM.

Spectra designs and manufactures for a lower price point which necessarily means thinner gauge materials and cheaper alloys.

It's alright to go with the spectra, yeah?
A Spectra radiator is probably is just fine if what you need is an inexpensive radiator for a used car that will last a year or two or until the vehicle can be sold or traded in.

However, if you use your Xterra offroad in extreme conditions and depend upon your radiator to get you back to civilization safely and without incident you might want to consider whether you would bet your life on a $70 chinese radiator.

I wouldn't.

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Xterra S RWD
62 Posts
Fair enough. Point taken.

Looks like that carid site has the cheapest prices for a koyo at 97~ something, but they are 'out of stock', and I assume won't be back in stock. $140 on amazon is cheapest I see I think. There are other koyo model numbers I see pop up when searching for a koyo radiator that fits a 2010 xterra; it has to be A2807, right? There aren't other viable models?

·
Veteran
593 Posts
From what I've heard Griffin is top notch (and the price reflects that.)

I thought you had some issues with the Koyo leaking? No?

I was one of the first to go with the Griffin as I started the conversation with Griffin and got Benji to move forward with the project. I know a few other guys helped as well and got them a radiator to build from. That being said, I have a CSF now as the Griffin went Tango Uniform after 4 years. the joint where the fin connects to the tank on the bottom is not welded. it is bonded with adhesive. This makes it a disposable radiator. I am looking to switch now to a custom Ron Davis or possibly a Be Cool and possibly, another Griffin (unlikely)

Griffin still builds their radiators this way.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
that's why go with a mainstream radiator.... spectra for example. I swapped mine out back in 2011 and it's still perfect.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts