Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theirs been countless threads about regular engine oil vs synthetic but for you full synthetic users which brand do you use and why? I personally use Mobil 1 High Mileage cause its at Walmart and at a good price. I've noticed a lot of Mobil 1 users on the board. Are their any other board members using different brands?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I use Amsoil because I like to support a fellow forum member named Motorcop that is an amsoil dealer. Other than that, I'd use Mobile One as it is available locally.
Amsoil is great stuff though and Motorcop is a great vendor so I continue to support buy buying more of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mobil 1

I start my x maybe once every 2 weeks. Long ago I read that synthetics might bind to metals a bit better so maybe less dry start. I don't if it's true as I never really wear out my vehicles. Maybe easier starting in the winter and a tiny bit better gas mileage.

Its the only synthetics my dealer stocks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I use Amsoil because I like to support a fellow forum member named Motorcop that is an amsoil dealer. Other than that, I'd use Mobile One as it is available locally.
Amsoil is great stuff though and Motorcop is a great vendor so I continue to support buy buying more of it.
Same deal for me. I support Steve at Code 3 synthetics due to his support for our local club (NeXterra).

Most people I talk to, I push them to him due to his support.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
951 Posts
Mobil 1 or Amsoil, depending on which one I can get my hands on when I need it. Both are great oils, but my local Amsoil dealer didn't renew, so I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Plus, I use Amsoil in the sleds too.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've always ran Valvoline Syn Power. When I was a kid my dad was a crew chief on a Southwest Tour race team. They were losing a lot of motors till they made the change. I have used it in my own rides till this day. I have yet to have a engine problem, and I've owned a lot of cars. I also had zero issues with my 06 X's original timing chain guides, 84k hard miles and it still sounded/ran like new:salute:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I start my x maybe once every 2 weeks. Long ago I read that synthetics might bind to metals a bit better so maybe less dry start. I don't if it's true as I never really wear out my vehicles. Maybe easier starting in the winter and a tiny bit better gas mileage.

Its the only synthetics my dealer stocks
This makes me sad to read

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
467 Posts
Schaeffer Oil | Synthetic Motor Oils

I like Schaeffer Synthetic Motor Oils because I can buy a case, 12 Quarts, for $70, . That is $35 in oil cost per oil change. I do a $10 oil analysis when its the normal oil change time to determine when to change the oil and keep track of the engine's health. I also use Purolator full synthetic oil filter.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
my oil changes/tire rotations/ free.... are over at the dealer. so friday i stopped at MONROE. (had a $20 off $50 or more card). it was time to switch to synthetic. they use syn power. and always rotate tires for free. i always ran synthetic in all my vehicles.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Amsoil in everything (front diff, rear diff, transfer case, power steering, transmission & engine). No problems with these parts at 145k and going strong. I too support a local who supports us.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
After working in a big diesel shop that had a fleet of Cat engines and some Cummins and Duramax, we finally determined that modern synth oils are so damn good, that we couldn't find any difference after 12k, bumped it 20k between changes and prolly could keep pushing it, but decided to leave it there. Ran it through a magnetic and chemistry test and it was remarkably clean. Between new engine designs and the quality of modern fluids, I no longer am a fanboy. Use what you got, it's probably way better than you think.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use and sell Amsoil. I have it everywhere but the tranny.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Mobil 1: Extended performance.

Been a few years, but I remember reading an analysis on synthetic oils from "Bob is the Oil Guy". Mobil 1 was top marks for friction modifiers and additives lasting the longest, with its extended performance line (as the name implies) lasting even longer.

The price difference between Mobil 1 and Extended Performance is nominal (like $5 more for a 5qt jug at Wallyworld) so I run the Extended version. Its labeled to be run up to 15,000 miles - but I only do 7,500. Which still is a nice long interval.

Oh, and on filters - again "Bob the oil guy" had a write up on them. Basically FRAM is crap. Mobil 1 filters got top marks. I use K&N which is a Mobil 1 filter re-branded and a nut welded on for easier removal.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Oh, and on filters - again "Bob the oil guy" had a write up on them. Basically FRAM is crap. Mobil 1 filters got top marks. I use K&N which is a Mobil 1 filter re-branded and a nut welded on for easier removal.
Not all Frams are bad. The Fram Extended Guard synthetic filter actually has gotten many great reviews on Bob is the Oil Guy. Its a WAY different filter than your dads old Frams that everyone loves to slam on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
+1 I run one of those or Purolators. FWIW Amsoil Signature is 25K interval. I change once a year on 6 vehicles. Easy peasy.
@10K they get a filter change and top-up.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts