Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

For the Love of God (Lift Kit Install Woes) - Now w/Pics

6K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Rescue119 
#1 · (Edited)
We put our Nisstec Ultimate lift kit (+OME HD leaf pack) today - it took over 6 hours despite using a car lift, air tools and 2-4 people working on it at times. The biggest problems?

1) couldn't find the lug nut key (!$@# you, Discount Tire for not putting it back)
2) couldn't get lower front shock bolt off on passenger side
3) couldn't get 2/4 shackle bolts off on the rear

On the front, we put a breaker bar to it and rounded the nut, and ended up having to drill it out. Found a spare bolt & nut, which I promptly broke trying to apply 155 ft. lbs. Luckily someone was able to get the right grade bolt & nut from a tractor supply store. The rear bolts required a heat gun, pipe wrench and breaker bar. And the lug nuts we took off by bashing a 3/4 socket onto them with a steel mallet and ratcheting off.

Lots of other minor difficulties, but those were the worst. So $&!# you too, Nissan for literally *coating* the bolts in some loctite like compound - and by coating, instead of one drop I mean 3-4 inches of the bolt was covered in this stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

See less See more
#5 ·
Definitely. I hit everything up with some Valvoline lubricant I had the night before, and it didn't seem to help a ton.

#10 ·
Gravedgr,

Probably not what you want to hear but so far my 2011 has disassembled very nicely. I've changed out both bumpers and front and rear springs. I'll make a recommendation based on reading about your rounding bolts and using pipe wrenches and cheater bars. If you don't have a 2 sets (1 deep & 1 reg. length) of 6-pt 1/2" dr. impact sockets you should pick them up. 6-pts rarely round heads and work well with breaker or cheater bars. Good luck on your future mods. I will be knocking on wood now :icon_smile:

Scott

#25 ·
We rounded it the first time with a 6-pt deep 1/2" drive impact wrench. Adding the breaker bar and cheater extension just rounded it all the way off. :(
Are you ****ing kidding me!?!?!? Mine's a '12 and has about 22k on the clock
My daily drive is 4 miles round trip (daycare and back). ;)

I had one car, back when I drove more, that I traded after 6 months with 27k miles. Now, I don't commute any more and I also put some time in the 911.
Well lets see what the green machine looks like with the lift installed!
@ Disney World w/kids so I'll have to get some when I get back. A friend is watching house while we're gone, so folks in the area might spot him in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
Well, let's be honest....this TORO fella....well, he's the stuff of legends...

I heard once he swapped coilovers on a friends rig WITHOUT TAKING THE WHEELS OFF....

Rumor has it he sleeps 2min a night.....and installs cargo racks blindfolded with just his left foot!!!

#28 ·
Just got home from Disney World. I will grab some pics tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

#29 ·
Here are a few I snapped from the street after moving the truck.

Posted via Mobile Device

#31 ·
The Nisstec kit comes w/Bilstein 5100s and Eibach adjustable coils. I got the 600 lb springs.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.