Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a spin-off of the hub centric vs. lug centric & ProComp 7089 threads( http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6441&start=75 and http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6638 )...though despite the pending issues w/ those wheels, are you guys having any issues (besides the wheel well rubbing mod) when you upgraded? I had some major drive vibrations first couple days after install, got about %70-75 better after alignment yesterday. MCAmpana suggested taking them back for re-balancing, did you all have to get them balanced more than once? What wheels are you running w/ them? THANKS!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I had a huge problem with my procomp At's when I got them first...You need to get them rebalanced by somebody who knows what they are doing. Some shops are not used to seeing big tires like that.

·
on line
166 Posts
Most shops machines aren't calibrated often enough to because completely true... and smaller 4x4 shops are even less likely to have their machine calibrated often...

Best bet is to go to a large shop that mounts and balances a lot of tires, like discount tire or tire kingdom. They mount so many they can't financially afford for every customer to bring back all of their work...

·
on line
807 Posts
Find a shop that uses a Hunter GSP9700 roadforce balancer. Even if they don't use the roadforce feature (which can take several hours to balance a set of tires correctly) the regular spin-balance is more accurate than other machines.

·
on line
191 Posts
I had the aame issuse with the xtreme mud terrains for the first 50 miles; I found out that discount tire had filled them up to their max tire pressure (like 60 psi)! They felt really bad, aired them down to 38 psi, and they feel great!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
hybridpower said:
I had the aame issuse with the xtreme mud terrains for the first 50 miles; I found out that discount tire had filled them up to their max tire pressure (like 60 psi)! They felt really bad, aired them down to 38 psi, and they feel great!
This is HUGE!! I almost always get tires back at or close to max, as if tire places don't understand that these tires are very versatile and work on light and heavy vehicles, etc. I recently got a set of Toyo MTs back with 80 psi in them! (I'm running them at 26 on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and they're perfect, Load Range E).

Once I got my 285 75 16 BFG MTs balanced properly on my X, it runs almost as smooth as stock.

·
on line
68 Posts
After working at les schwab for a few years. Often poeple who owned the bfg mt would come in and complain of vibrations right after they purchased them. Every time we would take em off and rebalance them. Most of the time we could get them perfect or just close enough where they wouldn't cause problems only if they were on the rear. Sometimes they would come in and the tire itself would just oddly shaped. If your looking for a great tire that will zero out and roll like your stocks, any size toyo will do it for you. Only one time did we ever have to send a toyo mt back cause it wouldn't balance. Spendy, I know but in these you get what you pay for. trust me.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I will 2nd you on the Toyo's nightrider. Have had them for 2 months an they are awesome. Great in the rain, great in the snow, and they look f*%#@ng awesome!!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
yes they do, but when I looked at the AT they looked very.........uh.......how do I put it......not very manly. They are not near as aggresive looking as even the BFG AT.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The Toyos in the ATs aren't just about looks. They're really not designed for wheeling, whereas the BFG ATs are.

Now the Toyo MTs are one beefy tire. Strong--and heavy. The 285 75 16s (33s) are Load Range E, and 68 lbs each (the comparable BFG MTs are more than ten pounds lighter). I run the BFGs on my X because I just didn't think the drivetrain needed all that extra weight, but I kinda regret not taking the plunge. I like the BFGs--but I have the Toyos on my Jeep (265 75 16s, 58 lbs each) and they are fantastic. Stiff, yes. But they air down great, and you can take them low. And the looks...nothing like them, IMO.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I had a bunch of balancing problems, you can't beat the Hunter Force balance. But in a regular shop the problem is they won't have the part that fits our center correctly, so, when they use the closest match, it don't hold the rim to the machine centered. My guy realized this, he's and expert, and he looked the problem up and found a adapter kit that uses the lugs and has a center that does fit the machine, he sprung for it, we re balanced them and wha la!
Our center is an Odd size and the adapter I am talking about in this case came in a kit designed for custom wheel balancing. It was expensive but he does custom wheels all day long and said he can use it.
I did take pictures and posted them but it all got lost in that last crash, and since then I had a crash on my own and there went the pictures.
But in short, a normal balancing machine will work if it has the adaptor that holds the rim centered to the machine, it was an odd size, so he had to use the adaptor that utilized the Lugs and a normal sized center.
Yes I said that three ways, hope everyone understands it.
MC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts