Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, the fuel level sending unit went out and the dealership quoted me $400 to fix. Frankly I am just tired of paying dealership prices.

Can any one recommend a good mechanic shop that can work on the X?

Anywhere around ABQ would be great.

Thanks for your help.

- Dom

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Did they break down the cost for you? Parts, labor, etc?

Because if they did, I would see how much they charged you for the part. Then if the labor isn't bad, get the part else where. (That I can help you with if you like)

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They broke it out verbally. The pary was a little under $200.

This is a noobie question, but what do i do once I get the part? I don't have the tool or skill to drop the tank and do this repair.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
No, you wouldn't have the tool. But you could take it to the dealership and have them put the one you provide in. See if they will provide a written quote for you. That way if you walk in with the part you need and you only paid $100 then you did okay.

I will tell you that I think you're bending over and taking one for the team. My fuel sending unit went last month and I got it done for about $250 at my local dealership, that included parts and labor.

But my dealership is also the main sponsor for our club, so they give me crazy discounts. Most dealerships will rip you off in parts prices. I'll check tomorrow and see what I can get it for. There can be a HUGE play in the price of a part if the dealership wants.

Also, once the parts have been replaced you're still going to get terrible gas millage for a tank or two after, so don't be shocked.

·
on line
207 Posts
Sorry the following dumb question . . . .

What exactly does the fuel level sending unit do? If it goes out does is throw a "check engine" code?

Reason I ask I have recenlty, over the past few months, noticed a decrease in my gas mileage. I do live in MN so the weather has been cold and I am assuming we have "winter gas" in most stations but the decrease I have been seeing seems to me to be greater than just that caused by the cold weather and witner gas. Thanks for any help.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I've got a call in, he said he's slammed at the moment and will call me back in a bit.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A guy in my local club got his sending unit replaced by our club sponsor dealership and it cost him $500 to get it replaced.

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input!!

cjm, as far as i understand the fuel level sending unit mainly controls the gas gauge. In other words your gauge will not show the correct level. Yes, it does give a code and the check engine light comes on.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I have to pass an emissions inspection inorder to get the X registered each year and if there are any check engine codes active it will automatically fail.

cornick, thanks again for the help. Let me know what you find out.

·
on line
628 Posts
cjm_specv said:
Sorry the following dumb question . . . .

What exactly does the fuel level sending unit do? If it goes out does is throw a "check engine" code?

Reason I ask I have recenlty, over the past few months, noticed a decrease in my gas mileage. I do live in MN so the weather has been cold and I am assuming we have "winter gas" in most stations but the decrease I have been seeing seems to me to be greater than just that caused by the cold weather and witner gas. Thanks for any help.
Fuel sending unit failure will not cause poor gas mileage. It is a simply mechanical device that measures the amount of fuel in your tank.

It will "throw a code, but it will not activate your SES light. Having said that, I have a scangauge II and it does not pick up a code for the fuel sending unit, but the dealers machine will pick it up. I am on my fourth sending unit and it is also bad, but I am sick of going back to the dealer for it. I just gauge myself based on the miles driven and off of my scangauge II. I'll get it fixed again one day.

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.. hang on a minute.

The fuel sending unit will NOT activate the SES light?????? :dontknow: :scratch:

My SES light came on and when I went to Autozone they said it was the fuel level sending unit. Do you think I am over looking a more serious problem????

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Dom, did they tell you specifically what part was wrong with it? I went and got the print out from the dealership and you can replace the whole thing or just certain parts.

Can you get a part number from them?

·
on line
207 Posts
r_climber & usArmyX,

Thanks guys, from the name of the unit that's what i figured we were talking about. I just got thrown off a little bit when Cornick mentioned poor gas mileage even after the part has been replaced in his post.

I hope my poor gas mileage this witner is just due to the single digit temps we had for the last few weeks (current temp in Mpls . . . . a whopping 5 degrees.) Tomorrow is going to get in the low teens. Should be a great day on the lake ice fishing!

·
on line
2,459 Posts
cjm_specv said:
I just got thrown off a little bit when Cornick mentioned poor gas mileage even after the part has been replaced in his post.
I'm telling you man, even after it's replaced your truck will still report bad millage for a tank or two.

I've seen it happen to several people in my local club, including myself.

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff, they didn't give me a part number but I will try to get down there today and ask.

I have a feeling they may say that I have to do the diagnostics for 85 bucks. That might be worth it just to find out.

Thanks Jeff, I'll let you know.

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeff, I stopped by the dealership today, but they were closed. I'll check into the part number next week.

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeff, the dealership just said they would replace the whole unit. They didn't run a diagnostic, so thats all they gave me.

What do you recommend from here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts