Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on using an RV type fold down spare tire carrier bolted through the stock rear bumper? Something similar to this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...07131/p-2007131/N-111+10207+600012448/c-10107

I would not use the U-Bolts, but rather bolt directly though my rear bumper and use a 3/16 steel backing plate to spread out the load.

I know, I know...shrockworks rear bumper and swing away. That is definetly on my list, but for the RIGHT NOW I can have this for under $40 if it is safe.

I currently have my spare mounted in my load warrior, but I cannot put into words the kind of suck involved with getting it up and down from there now that I have a +6" lift.

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad...yeah, I can't squeeze the 295/70R17 in there...and one downside to the body lift is that now the handcrank hole in the bumper does not line up with the winching mechanism to raise or lower the tire.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I question if the ears on the stock bumper can hold the weight of a tire and also if that mount would hold a large tire. It doesn't give any specs, but I can see it buckling under the weight.

It would also make it a PITA to get in the back. I have seen guys with Cherokee's with the fold down carriers and they are always trying to climb over them to get stuff in and out of the back.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, if you got one like THAT--Where would you put it???

--Can't really put it in the middle, because of the license plate recess and electric light--

--Can't really put it on either semi-flat (angle) side, because it will block most of the tail light and making it vertical could be tough--

--JUST FAGITTABOUTIT---

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking I would have to mount it just off of the tag area, but as close as possible....my concern would be it buckling under the weight and my tire flying into someone's windshield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts