Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some fog lights in my X, right now they're set up so you can turn them on whenever you want (even when the x isnt on).

I want to only be able to run them when the main headlights are on, can i do this by grounding the relay to the ground coming off of the headlamps instead of grounding them to the battery directly?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
some how you have to tie them in like you are saying to the headlights, I am not sure exactly how but by having them tie straight to the battery they are getting power whenever you flip the switch.

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i guess my question is:

is the ground for the headlights/anything that only runs when the car is on only grounded when the car is on, or is it always going to be grounded even if the key isnt in the ignition?

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i changed my mind and only want them to be on if the key is in the ON position

i'm new to car electronics/relays/switches and whatnot, so bare with me

is there any ignition power behind the steering column that i can use?

there are three leads on the switch, i assume one is for ground, one is for illuminiation and one is for power, which of these would i need to connect to ignition power for this to work?

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm trying to avoid having to remove the dash around the head unit again as that was a pain in the ass. is there any ignition power around the steering column, maybe for the power mirror switch?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
To be honest, I don't know.

I wonder how the outlets come out, you might be able to remove the outlet from the dash without removing the dash.

I have my lights hooked up to the marker/parking lights. I tapped into the front drivers side marker light hot lead. If I flip my Hella's on without having the marker lights on, they will not turn on. I figure there is problably never a time I would want the driving lights without having at least the marker lights on. This allows me to have the lights on without the key, but the likelyhood of leving them on and getting out of the car is slim as it will "bing" at me letting me know the lights are on.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
There are a number of easily accessible wires behind the kick panel. Ones that turn on with the first click of the ignition and ones that turn on with the second click of ignition. If you are using a relay. You wire terminals 85 and 86. Ground one terminal. Other terminal wire to a positive wire that turns on with the ignition. This is only for the coil. It's not the actual power source for the fogs which should be terminals 87 or 30 connected to the battery, i believe.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have my lights hooked up to the marker/parking lights. I tapped into the front drivers side marker light hot lead. If I flip my Hella's on without having the marker lights on, they will not turn on. I figure there is problably never a time I would want the driving lights without having at least the marker lights on. This allows me to have the lights on without the key, but the likelyhood of leving them on and getting out of the car is slim as it will "bing" at me letting me know the lights are on.
X2, for the same reasons, except on the passenger side.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
norshor said:
Muzikman said:
X2, for the same reasons, except on the passenger side.
X3 but i did it with my roof lights

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
x4, thats what i ended up doing with the fogs i was talking about in this thread

1 - 12 of 12 Posts