Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I purchased some fog lights today at AutoZone. They were fairly cheap (I dont need nice ones for my plans with them!!!) and when I opened the box, I noticed they did not come with a relay. I dont exactly need one because these lights will be used very very occasionally. They are going to be my rear rock crawling lights... If you remember a while back I installed some rock crawling lights on my Shrock front bumper, these things are going to compliment them by providing light to the undercarrage/rear tire area.

My qustions are:

1. Do I really need a relay since I will only use them a couple of times a year (I dont plan on doing night wheeling but im sure I might need them sometime)?

2. If 'yes' to the previous question: what relay do I buy, where do I buy it, and are all relays basically generic?

·
on line
339 Posts
1) if you're wiring them directly off a switch and not tying them into your factory lights, you don't need relays as long as you use a sufficient gauge wire.

most automotive toggle/rocker switches can handle 30-40 amps of current.

i'd suggest using 12 guage.

2) there a few different types of relays but yes, the ones we're all familiar with are bosch styled relays.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'd use a realy, really, OR in this case, just tap into the backup lamps as in the how to I posted a while back. (You hit it at the triler wire harness) If it's less than a 55 watt Bulb X's 2 and that is my guess, you'll be good to go, they will come on with the reverse lights.

The reason for a relay is to use a smaller, cheaper switch and wire. The heavy wire goes onlly from the Power source to the relay and on to the Load (Lights) then that long wire going to the switch can be real light wire, 14 Awg is fine, (And Normal) Being this light kit does not have a relay, I doubt it's all that heavy a load.

You can wire it this way, OR use the heavy power wire in the harness in rear, use a relay and bring a wire to Pass area to trip it. All relays are about the same, you only would need a 4 post, a 5 can be used in place of a 4. They are pretty much the same. Use a 30 or 40 Amp in this case. You have my Number and ya know how to use it! LOL

MC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts