Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cloud White Xterra S
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m new to this forum and all things Xterra so apologies if this has already been covered.

I have a 2007 Xterra S without fog lights. I know that the wiring is already there and that I can just buy a new turn stalk, but I can’t afford the OEM turn stalk. I decided to go with a package that includes the lights and wires/switch (I’ll link it below). As I have little to no experience with car electrics, I was wondering if there was any post in this forum that would help. Ideally I’d have it so that I can turn the lights on/off independent of everything else, although it would be nice to have it turn off when the car is off.
-Tyler

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
646 Posts
I'd return that kit and buy an amazon one with the stalk. It's far cheaper than oem stalk and works just fine. I've had it for years now.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
646 Posts

I actually bought mine off of ebay, it turns out. Headlight Turn Signal fog light Steering Column Switch fit for Nissan Frontier | eBay

Off ebay, the foglights and switch are under $80 shipped.

Reactions: HanCholo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the quality and of the switch? I’ve heard they feel very different compared to the OEM stalks.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
646 Posts
It works. It feels like a column switch. It was stiffer to move for the blinkers then my used one. It does the same job for a fraction of OEM cost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a good option, but I don't know if I want to sacrifice the fluidity of the turn stalk. It could be a cool project and learning opportunity to wire the lights. Please tell me if I'm crazy.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
646 Posts
Haha yes, you are crazy. If you want to wire up a new switch then go for it. I have a few switches wired in for aux lights. I wasn't about to do that for fog lights when I can just plug in a switch and use the wiring already there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a good point. And you haven’t encountered any issues with the switch? I’m sure I’d get used to the different feel.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
646 Posts
Not at all.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,237 Posts
Get the light kit that comes with the harness and dash switch and stuff. Save all that crap for when you buy a nice bright and shiney led lightbar, then you’ve already got it squirreled away waiting, with a nifty bonus dash switch as well.
Buy the darn aftermarket column stalk and swap em out. It’s cake. Like 4 screws if I remember right.
Enjoy the ease of using the wiring already there and not forgetting to turn them off killing your battery at the most inconvenient time because of the lame dash switch that you are going to use for that led lightbar anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The turn stalk came today. As you said, it’s a bit more rigid than the stock one but it’s well worth the cost difference. It didn’t click on top and bottom when I slid it in but everything seems to be working great and it feels secure. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed the fog lights today and for some reason they don’t work. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wrong light stalk?
That would be my guess also. There are two different ones.

Another idea, if you installed aftermarket led fogs, they are typically polarity sensitive. Any chance you wired backwards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.