Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to clutter Diode Dynamic's fog light thread with my questions so here we are.

I expected these to be more of a 100% plug-n-play part. I feel like they're, maybe, 75%-85%?

Unless I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully someone can help.

So first off, the pods don't offer easy adjustability. Once they're installed in the factory bumper ring, you can't access the adjustment screws with any tools other than maybe needle nose pliers. And that's not going to make adjustments easy. The factory ring blocks the screws so you'd have to completely remove the DD housing from the bumper ring, adjust them, then reinstall them in the ring and then back in the bumper. That's going to make minor adjustments incredibly time consuming and difficult to carry out.

Automotive lighting Wrist Personal protective equipment Audio equipment Water bottle

Hand Finger Automotive design Revolver Engineering

Secondly, I feel like once installed, there's actually no room FOR adjustments in vertical height. They're pressed up to the bumper so tightly that they wouldn't be able to tilt up or down even if you wanted to. Which I guess voids my complaint about not being able to easily adjust them. But I figured they should be able to be adjusted anyway. I know you're not supposed to cut the bumper for these to fit, but I've seen others do that. Is there a consensus on if that's actually required for some vehicles? Or like everything else aftermarket, is it really a "Some get lucky and others need to modify"?

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Headlamp

I feel like the issue is the indents in the fog ring. Those seem to be preventing the LED ring from actually being more free inside the housing. The outside perimeter of the LED pod is pressed up to the inside of those indents incredibly snuggly all the way around at the moment.
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive tire Wheel

So, is this pretty normal? A very snug fit and virtually no adjustment? They seem to be aimed alright as they are, more or less. Since they are so snug they really don't have any option to not aim perfectly straight forward. But I still feel like there should be some room for adjustment?

Obviously not bashing the product. The pods and the brackets are very well made and these suckers are BRIGHT. I'm just trying to figure out if this sort of install is normal for others since I just expected an easier fitment.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
when i installed mine, i test fit them first and in order to gain the most amount of vertical adjustment when installed, slide the pod as far back in the stock bracket as possible (i.e. your 2nd picture above). this will pull the lens of the light away from the bumper and allow you more room to adjust the beam up and down. 2nd trick, don't tighten the 2 mounting screws super tight and adjust after they are installed. if you do it correctly, you can install the bolts tight enough so the lights won't rotate on their own but loose enough so you can rotate the pod with moderate force. i agree this isn't ideal, but it was the only way i could align them without removing and reinstalling 10x.

and yes, they are SIGNIFICANTLY better than my stock fogs with osram +130% bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I know that this page was about the topic of fog lights but I can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for and hoping you can help out. First I have a 2014 Xterra Pro 4x and a rock hit my driver side off road lamp. I have looked everywhere to find just the lense part and I cannot find it. Do you guys know where I can find the part. Help will be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H11 or H9 bulbs?
I swapped to H9s a few years ago, and they are MUCH brighter than factory bulbs. (65W vs 55W).
Yes. I replaced my factory bulbs with yellow Optilux Hella H9s. Those were bright, for sure. Much better than the H11s.

But they don't even compare to these pods. Literal night and day difference.

when i installed mine, i test fit them first and in order to gain the most amount of vertical adjustment when installed, slide the pod as far back in the stock bracket as possible (i.e. your 2nd picture above). this will pull the lens of the light away from the bumper and allow you more room to adjust the beam up and down. 2nd trick, don't tighten the 2 mounting screws super tight and adjust after they are installed. if you do it correctly, you can install the bolts tight enough so the lights won't rotate on their own but loose enough so you can rotate the pod with moderate force. i agree this isn't ideal, but it was the only way i could align them without removing and reinstalling 10x.

and yes, they are SIGNIFICANTLY better than my stock fogs with osram +130% bulbs.
Thanks! So basically exactly my experience :p I did install them as far back on the bracket as possible. I did everything I could to get as much room as possible and this is still where I'm at. But, having just driven with them tonight, they seem to be aligned fine. So thankfully that's the case since there's no way I'm adjusting them with how they're installed.

Hi guys, I know that this page was about the topic of fog lights but I can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for and hoping you can help out. First I have a 2014 Xterra Pro 4x and a rock hit my driver side off road lamp. I have looked everywhere to find just the lense part and I cannot find it. Do you guys know where I can find the part. Help will be much appreciated!!!
You can't buy just the lens. You've gotta purchase the entire light assembly. Ebay might be a good start, since I'm not sure the dealership will sell just the light.
You might also get lucky and see them pop up here on the forums for sale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Got a used stock complete light on eBay. It was 50 bucks I think. There were plenty to choose from on there.

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
296 Posts
I didn't want to clutter Diode Dynamic's fog light thread with my questions so here we are.

I expected these to be more of a 100% plug-n-play part. I feel like they're, maybe, 75%-85%?

Unless I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully someone can help.

So first off, the pods don't offer easy adjustability. Once they're installed in the factory bumper ring, you can't access the adjustment screws with any tools other than maybe needle nose pliers. And that's not going to make adjustments easy. The factory ring blocks the screws so you'd have to completely remove the DD housing from the bumper ring, adjust them, then reinstall them in the ring and then back in the bumper. That's going to make minor adjustments incredibly time consuming and difficult to carry out.

View attachment 138948

View attachment 138949

Secondly, I feel like once installed, there's actually no room FOR adjustments in vertical height. They're pressed up to the bumper so tightly that they wouldn't be able to tilt up or down even if you wanted to. Which I guess voids my complaint about not being able to easily adjust them. But I figured they should be able to be adjusted anyway. I know you're not supposed to cut the bumper for these to fit, but I've seen others do that. Is there a consensus on if that's actually required for some vehicles? Or like everything else aftermarket, is it really a "Some get lucky and others need to modify"?

View attachment 138950 View attachment 138951

I feel like the issue is the indents in the fog ring. Those seem to be preventing the LED ring from actually being more free inside the housing. The outside perimeter of the LED pod is pressed up to the inside of those indents incredibly snuggly all the way around at the moment.
View attachment 138953

So, is this pretty normal? A very snug fit and virtually no adjustment? They seem to be aimed alright as they are, more or less. Since they are so snug they really don't have any option to not aim perfectly straight forward. But I still feel like there should be some room for adjustment?

Obviously not bashing the product. The pods and the brackets are very well made and these suckers are BRIGHT. I'm just trying to figure out if this sort of install is normal for others since I just expected an easier fitment.
Which ones did you go with? Sport, pro or max? My headlights are crap, and I’d like better forward lighting.
This seems like the best option for me and I like your choice there.

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
296 Posts
By the way, I just randomly typed “LABOR21” at checkout for diodedynamics, and I got 15% off. But then Shipping is $22 lol.
I see they have just a bulb upgrade for like $75. Might try that instead

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which ones did you go with? Sport, pro or max? My headlights are crap, and I’d like better forward lighting.
This seems like the best option for me and I like your choice there.
These are Pros. Didn't want to pony up for the Max but I wanted actual driving light performance and I heard the Sports don't do it that well compared to the Pros.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to know! I just went with what I had read from a couple members comparing them and figured if there was any time to pay extra for the Pros it was during the Labor Day sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok guys I took off the off-road lamp and now I’m tweeting to figure out how to take it off so I can replace it with something else. Here is where I think is the part #.
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fixture Gas
Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok guys I took off the off-road lamp and now I’m tweeting to figure out how to take it off so I can replace it with something else. Here is where I think is the part #. View attachment 138985 View attachment 138986
just buy the ss3 pro driving pods for the roof lights and buy the kit the guy on here sells for the off-road lights. He’s also a diode dynamic dealer so you can get it all from him. I did pros in fogs in fog pattern with yellow lens and driving beams on the roof also in pros with yellow lens couldn’t be happier

·
Registered
5 Posts
just buy the ss3 pro driving pods for the roof lights and buy the kit the guy on here sells for the off-road lights. He’s also a diode dynamic dealer so you can get it all from him. I did pros in fogs in fog pattern with yellow lens and driving beams on the roof also in pros with yellow lens couldn’t be happier
Ok. Who is this again?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts