Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, yes I know there are a bunch of threads on this and a few youtube videos. However, I apparently have stupid eyes because for the life of me I cannot see clearly in any of the photos people have posted where to do the poor man's flush from. So I would rather ask and get some help rather than risk messing up my truck, scold me for asking if you want.
Before anyone warns me: I have not done the bypass (and won't) but my trans pan is rusting through so I HAVE to change it. Yes, I am changing the gasket, washer, and filter while I'm at it. Yes, I have ordered 12qts of matic-s.

Question: Should I do the PMF through the line at the front marked with a blue arrow and question mark in the picture?

If not, then where from?

Shrock works bumper, picture of the passenger side front view from inside the bumper.

I really really appreciate anyone who takes a second to comment and help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I THINK that the hose the arrow points to is the exit from the trans cooler. it should go from trans into the top of the trans cooler, flow through the cooler from top to bottom and then go out that hose you pointed to back to the trans.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
SMOD not a factor
Drain and fill from the pan.
Repeat in 6months to a year depending on mileage and or abuse.
Happy transmission :)

Reactions: idn88

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
This is just for me to understand. Red_X mentioned that he has not done the bypass. I thought installing the external cooler is the bypass. Appreciate if someone can explain this to me. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
This is just for me to understand. Red_X mentioned that he has not done the bypass. I thought installing the external cooler is the bypass. Appreciate if someone can explain this to me. Thanks.

All Xterras with automatic transmission come from the factory with an external ATF cooler. There is also an ATF cooling tube inside the radiator.

The "bypass" being discussed takes the internal tube in the radiator out of the cooling circuit in order to prevent the possibility of the internal tube failing and mixing ATF and coolant which in turn results in "SMOD." The "bypass" does not impact the operation of the factory external cooler in any way.

Some people add a second aftermarket external cooler in addition to the factory external cooler when the ATF cooling tube in the radiator is bypassed. Some add just an extra electric fan. Some people add a second cooler and a fan. One or more of these is necessary to restore the ATF cooling capacity of the system after bypassing the cooling tube in the radiator.

In my opinion, biting the bullet and replacing a suspect radiator rather than doing the "bypass" is the proper way to address SMOD prevention. Tthe "bypass" is a band-aid and one can spend nearly as much on extra oil coolers and other parts that still won't restore the factory cooling system to its full operating capacity. Better to do it right the first time and be done with it. [Says the voice of experience now running an unbypassed Koyo radiator with the factory external ATF cooler.]

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
All Xterras with automatic transmission come from the factory with an external ATF cooler. There is also an ATF cooling tube inside the radiator.

The "bypass" being discussed takes the internal tube in the radiator out of the cooling circuit in order to prevent the possibility of the internal tube failing and mixing ATF and coolant which in turn results in "SMOD." The "bypass" does not impact the operation of the factory external cooler in any way.

Some people add a second aftermarket external cooler in addition to the factory external cooler when the ATF cooling tube in the radiator is bypassed. Some add just an extra electric fan. Some people add a second cooler and a fan. One or more of these is necessary to restore the ATF cooling capacity of the system after bypassing the cooling tube in the radiator.

In my opinion, biting the bullet and replacing a suspect radiator rather than doing the "bypass" is the proper way to address SMOD prevention. Tthe "bypass" is a band-aid and one can spend nearly as much on extra oil coolers and other parts that still won't restore the factory cooling system to its full operating capacity. Better to do it right the first time and be done with it. [Says the voice of experience now running an unbypassed Koyo radiator with the factory external ATF cooler.]
Mr. Bills, thanks a lot!

·
on line
2,877 Posts
redx-

change your radiator if you have not AND you have a 2005-2010 xterra with automatic.

as far as the flush,t he way i did it was this:

1) drain and fill tranny- i dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets, used a new gasket, didn't touch the screen aka filter as it's just a rock catcher.
added 4 quarts to tranny fill tube.

2) under the truck in front, near the oil filter, there are two rubber hoses that connect to the steel trans lines. one of them routes to the bottom of the radiator. The other is receiving fluid from the xternal cooler and runs back to the trans pan. I used that line. Undid the hose and put into a 5 gallon jug by using a clear xtension hose.

3) i ran the truck until 1 quart came out, in park, then shut off and added a quart of new fluid. i repeated this until i saw clear/red trans fluid coming out of the hose feeding into the 5 gallon jug. as i recall, that was about 13-14 quarts. yes, i started truck, ran for a few seocnds, shifted into a gear and back into park, then shutoff multiple times- i had someone start/stop the truck for me while i watched the jug get to the next quart.

good luck!!

Reactions: Leonard4X4
1 - 8 of 8 Posts