Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am at 115000 and not sure what all has been done fluid wise. Now I know there are lots of "what type / brand do you use" but it's been awhile and everyone should know more about how these fluids have worked out ect. So what do you guys have going on I am doing a complete fluid change assuming I get as good of a Friday check as I should lol :) any thoughts are welcome
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Anything after that is just preference. Many many sites have done independent research to determine what fluid brand is better.

Mobile 1
Amsoil
Royal Purple

I run RP just cause I can get it at the local Napa, and I've had good use of it in the past.

Just be sure to run Nissan ATF when required by the book.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Google Sheets with form. (Yeah Im kinda a nerd at heart)

I hated using other companies gas milage and maintanace apps because I coudn't do my own analysis. Plus I like my data.

Feel Free to check it out. A google web form goes with it that I access on my phone and fill out when ever I fill up.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERICdqAt3ndJ4p2Nd3y60bHj7BG7b6bzre4xU93QeSU/edit?usp=sharing
That's pretty awesome, although I'm not sure I'm that disciplined to track MPG's. I am mainly interested in the maintenance side. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I fill up and track how much it cost, How much I put in, the gas station and the Odometer. I just fill it out every time Im sitting there filling up.

This in turn gives me everything for fuel records and maintance. The maintanance updates automatically and tells me when the next time I need to do service.

This is the form.

If your interested in a simple maintanance sheet, just use something along the lines of this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1--D-LU9g6lmncZcfnxCssrajzLjaqvTD4vT3bZ_F-QA/edit?usp=sharing

Copy it and save it to your drive.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Cheers Ricel.

OP - sorry for the temporary derail. IIRC, Nissan specifies that fluid, with so substitute in the service manual. Here is what is says: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF or Matic J ATF will cause
deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not
covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
But so long as it is a good magic j it should be fine right ?? And how do I know which rear end I have
Posted via Mobile Device
Matic S in the transmission and Matic D in the transfer case.

Manual Xterra's and Off Road/Pro4x Models have m226 rear diffs, S,X,SE AT's have c200k. If you see 8 bolts on the cover it's a c200k, if there are 12 it's a M226.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks ricel for the nice maintenance schedule sheet. And to add, to the ATF debate, I've been using Mobil 1 ATF for 1yr/12,200 miles and it's still shifting smooth and a beautiful red color.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts