Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

so my manual off-road is hitting about 70000 miles. Going to do a full fluids change. Will probably do it over a few months; money and time reasons.

just wondering which fluids I should keep OEM, and which I can get away with with non-oem.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I put OEM in the transmission and Transfer case. Transmission is picky about that I hear, and mine shifts great on the Nissan fluid, so why mess with what works.

The manual is pretty particular about warning the use of Nissan fluid in the Transfer case. Not sure why, but again, it's not so expensive considering you don't change it that often.

Any brand you prefer is good for the axles. I use Mobil 1. I actually used the same fluid in both, 75w-90 I believe. The front calls for 80w-90, but I just stock up on 75w-90. I use that in my Broncos, so I buy it like 6qts at a time. Get it from advance auto, find a coupon code and order online, I got like $20 off (basically 2 quarts free) that way.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
FWIW 80k on my truck now and no issues with the T-Case.. As a matter of fact after replacing the OEM T-case fluid shifting out of 4wd became much more immediate.. long term.. guess we'll have to see..

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'll probably be condemned for this but I use Mobil 1 ATF, 1 year and 11K later I'm doing fine.

here's what Amsoil is saying about their Tranny fluid.

Applications
AMSOIL OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications:

Ford MERCON® LV; GM DEXRON® VI; Aisin-Warner AW-1; Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426; Honda DW-1®; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR; JASO 1-A; JWS 3324; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J2; Nissan Matic-S; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volkswagen G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; Volvo 97342; Mercedes Benz 236.12, 236.14
I'm sure they'd do their due diligence before claiming things like that.
If it would mess up your tranny, they would be liable.

·
on line
111 Posts
A few years ago I changed all drive train fluids to Amsoil. Everything ran a touch smoother. 50k+ miles later and everything is still running good. I've been running Amsoil in the engine since my first oil change.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Aaaaaand here we go into another Amsoil love thread...

You should love Amsoil. The stuff is the store is no good. You should just forget all the other brands and buy Amsoil. Amsoil amsoil amsoil amsoil amsoil.

But seriously... I would recommend any quality oil brand you like in the proper weight and type for each gear box. Only exception is the auto tranny, which should run Nissan Matic S (what others have said notwithstanding).

And yes, Amsoil is fine! I just can't be bothered to spend more to mail order it when there are perfectly good oil brands in the store around the corner.

·
on line
111 Posts
Could be that the old fluid was simply old versus fresh. There's lab tests that can answer that. But Amsoil in my transmission has been running just fine for a couple summers in Vegas and a large number of single-digit temperature nights in the Sierras.

I'm curious how some can think and claim that things run "smoother" with Amsoil. What exactly is "smoother" and how can you tell?

Sounds like a placebo effect to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
111 Posts
What has always blown my mind these past few years with these transmission fluid topics a number of people quickly jump up and say only use Matic-whatever because Nissan says so. But then Nissan has a history, on this forum, for not standing by their product when it comes to the integrity of the front diff, transmission/radiator failure, timing chains, air bag deployments, etc. I'm sorry but I will not simply take Nissan's word for anything.

Years back when I called up Amsoil and asked them about the compatibility of their transmission fluid with my Xterra they said it will work, they warranty it, and pointed me to their warranty to replace the fluid and components damaged by their product. Mobil 1 provides the same.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I'm now at 187K on the clock, and since the day I got it I've been using full synthetic everywhere... Engine, tranny, t-case, diffs, washer fluid if it would help... :drunken:

I don't care what the brand is that the shop uses as long as it's high quality and the correct weight. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, I don't care, it's all the same ****.

187K and my X still shifts smooth as the first time I drove it, shifts in and out of 2HI-4HI without hesitation or coaching, and same with 4HI->4LO and back.

Get some synthetic in there and don't worry about the brand, as long as it's a well known one and not "Wal-mart" brand...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
But then Nissan has a history, on this forum, for not standing by their product when it comes to the integrity of the front diff, transmission/radiator failure, timing chains, air bag deployments, etc. I'm sorry but I will not simply take Nissan's word for anything.
What do you mean they don't stand by their product? The smod issue is well known in which nissan is well aware of and fixes under warranty. They even extended the factory warranty to cover this when it happens. They also fixed the issue in later model years. They also are well aware of the timing chain issue, they warranty that, and have a redesigned set of chains and guides that go in during the warranty work.

I've had both the timing chains, and the trans/radiator replaced on my truck, by nissan, under warranty. I didn't pay a dime, and I was given a rental to use while my truck was in the shop.

Moral of the story, is I would continue to use the correct nissan fluid in your trans and transfer case. I am. As for the diffs, I use synthetic or part synthetic name brand gear oil from the local parts store. It has worked just fine. I remember when I first changed all my fluids after a few months of owning my x, it felt worlds smoother. Screw that over priced amsoil. Just put good fluid in it and change it at the recommended intervals. Simple as that.

·
on line
652 Posts
190000 on mine Amsoil every 50,000 in trans, transfercase and diffs
Just did the timing chains at 179,000

Castrol 5/30 jug and OEM filter every 5000

The last 2 oil changes I have ran Castrol 5/40 and seen a 2 mpg increase

I had a extra change set up from my R32 so I used the oil in the Xterra

Use whatever the hell you want. I know what works for me

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The SMOD fix with a pro rated benefit is pathetic IMO. They created a bad design or speced inferior materials. They should have fixed all affected regardless of age

What do you mean they don't stand by their product? The smod issue is well known in which nissan is well aware of and fixes under warranty. They even extended the factory warranty to cover this when it happens. They also fixed the issue in later model years. They also are well aware of the timing chain issue, they warranty that, and have a redesigned set of chains and guides that go in during the warranty work.

I've had both the timing chains, and the trans/radiator replaced on my truck, by nissan, under warranty. I didn't pay a dime, and I was given a rental to use while my truck was in the shop.

Moral of the story, is I would continue to use the correct nissan fluid in your trans and transfer case. I am. As for the diffs, I use synthetic or part synthetic name brand gear oil from the local parts store. It has worked just fine. I remember when I first changed all my fluids after a few months of owning my x, it felt worlds smoother. Screw that over priced amsoil. Just put good fluid in it and change it at the recommended intervals. Simple as that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts