Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 OR has had regular, annual oil and filer changes since purchased new. My question is how often do you flush and replace power steering and brake fluid? The Xterra has 36,000 original highway miles. I am about to install a Koyo A2807 rad so the cooling fluid will be replaced then.

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
306 Posts
Nissan says every 2 years for brake fluid, and they have no comment for power steering.

I fully flush my brake fluid every time I service the brakes. Or when I'm bored.
Power steering... I'd suggest 5 yr / 50,000. If your paying to have it done, go 10 yr / 50K
I'd also suggest you drain and drop the transmission pan, clean the pan and the magnet in there, and add new fluid.
If you haven't done so, drain the lube from the front and rear axles, and the transfer case and add new lube to each.

Why are you changing the radiator?

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The '06 Calsonic rad on the '06 is susceptible to SMOD. I didn't want to do a bypass, but fix it right. As the X has only 36,000 highway miles, I cannot see any service records that say the brake fluid or power steering fluid were ever changed, so I assume they haven't..

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The '06 Calsonic rad on the '06 is susceptible to SMOD. I didn't want to do a bypass, but fix it right. As the X has only 36,000 highway miles, I cannot see any service records that say the brake fluid or power steering fluid were ever changed, so I assume they haven't..
Sorry, this was a reply to Ramtest on Fluid Change Intervals.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Changing fluid in the power steering is part of my yearly maintenance.
It dont get much easier than sucking out the old fluid with a Turkey baster and refilling afterwards.

The first time I changed my fluid n my power steering, I removed the fluid from the reservoir, refilled afterwards, turned my wheels back and fourth a few times, performed another swap of the fluid in my reservoir and put it on a routine schedule.

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changing fluid in the power steering is part of my yearly maintenance.
It dont get much easier than sucking out the old fluid with a Turkey baster and refilling afterwards.

The first time I changed my fluid n my power steering, I removed the fluid from the reservoir, refilled afterwards, turned my wheels back and fourth a few times, performed another swap of the fluid in my reservoir and put it on a routine schedule.
Thanks. Interesting how Nissan does not say anything in the owner's manual about frequency of power steering fluid intervals? Do you use genuine Nissan PS fluid?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I came across some Royal Purple power steering fluid on sale and picked up several bottles.
If purchased at regular price, your looking at apx $7.50 per bottle.

I would be comfortable with most any power steering fluid recommended for our vehicle .
Amsoil, Lucas, Valvoline etc etc etc.

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I came across some Royal Purple power steering fluid on sale and picked up several bottles.
If purchased at regular price, your looking at apx $7.50 per bottle.

I would be comfortable with most any power steering fluid recommended for our vehicle .
Amsoil, Lucas, Valvoline etc etc etc.
Thanks and sorry for asking dumb questions. It's my first X. I want to keep it a long time. Is it smart to put in synthetic PS fluid?? Synthetic brake fluid? I just don't know with certainty if those 2 fluids have ever been changed since brand new (16 years with little mileage) or just keep going with OEM stuff. I think by reading this forum, some fluids have actually changed. Automatic trans fluid for one...J vs. S??

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
In regards to Royal Purple Max Ez power steering fluid.

From Royal Purples website. Max EZ is compatible and can be mixed with any OEM or stock replacement power steering fluid and has excellent seal compatibility.

Yes, I would choose the "S" compatible trans fluid.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I've not heard about the need to change the PS fluid on any car. Never had any issues.
Some vehicles may recommend servicing the fluid in your power steering at given intervals where as others go totally unmentioned. I've seen recommendations which ranged from servicing at 30K -100K miles and others that left it to the owners discretion.

The simple truth is power steering fluid can become contaminated over time and this fluid is circulating through your pump and on your o-rings under pressure. Generally speaking a yearly service with a Turkey baster takes less than 5 minutes and apx $7 for the fluid. I consider this a small price to pay compared to the cost of replacing a power steering pump.

I suspect some manufacturers dont include this service as recommended as their aware the vehicle will be well out of warranty prior to having a problem.

·
Registered
2011 Xterra Pro-4X - Red Brick
115 Posts
Some vehicles may recommend servicing the fluid in your power steering at given intervals where as others go totally unmentioned. I've seen recommendations which ranged from servicing at 30K -100K miles and others that left it to the owners discretion.

The simple truth is power steering fluid can become contaminated over time and this fluid is circulating through your pump and on your o-rings under pressure. Generally speaking a yearly service with a Turkey baster takes less than 5 minutes and apx $7 for the fluid. I consider this a small price to pay compared to the cost of replacing a power steering pump.

I suspect some manufacturers dont include this service as recommended as their aware the vehicle will be well out of warranty prior to having a problem.
Had an '88 S-10 Blazer with 272K miles - never had a problem with the PS pump - or steering box.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Had an '88 S-10 Blazer with 272K miles - never had a problem with the PS pump - or steering box.
There are probably individuals among us which have never changed the power steering, transmission, transfer case or differential fluids over the life of their vehicles.

Poor maintenance will not guarantee a failure, but your stacking the odds against you.

Reactions: MikeD
1 - 13 of 13 Posts