Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under my X attempting to install the gas skid and notice a small amount of either grease or gas splattered around the rear driveshaft U-Joint. It was on the corner of the gas tank and the E-brake line coming out of the drivers compartment.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Could it be gear oil? Your pinion seal might be bad. That happened to one of the guys with an 05 in the local WPAXC club.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is on the other end. Near the output of the T-Case.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, question still applies, could it be gear oil. :)

Does it look like it's coming from behind the yoke on the TC? I will be quite honest, I have not looked at the TC that close.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Can you smell it? If it stinks to high heaven, then it's probably gear oil.

Clean the area thoroughly. No go out for a drive to get the fluids nice and warm. After the truck has set for a while (15 mins.), go back and see if you're leaking fluids. Perhaps now you can trace the source.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is weird as the little rubber gasket that goes around the yoke has no fluid. It seems to be from the middle of the joint.

There is not a lot of fluid but it is just wet.

Edit:
I am also surprised at how much the yoke is pulled out because of just the shackle lift.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the SM and it doesn't appear to be.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I didn't think anything on our trucks are greaseable, but it was a thought. Hmm, take a look at the TC in the SM and look to see what the seals look like. You said it is a slip yoke? Maybe the center of the yoke is hollow.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
splike yoke is the wrong term. I cannot think of the term to describe the piece. Tail shaft?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts