Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a shop to install my Shrock front bumper and winch, which should be arriving this week.

I'm in Oviedo....home of the next #1 NFL draft pick, Blake Bortels, just east of Orlando.

If I don't get any recommendations, I'll likely take it to Jeeper's Den. However, there's something sacrilegious about taking an X to a Jeep place.

Looking for recommendations....thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It is not that hard of an install. The hardest part of the install is figuring out how/where to mount the winch control box. I did mine solo and helped install another a few weeks ago. If you can get your X, bumper and winch to St. Pete on a weekend we can knock it out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not that hard of an install. The hardest part of the install is figuring out how/where to mount the winch control box. I did mine solo and helped install another a few weeks ago. If you can get your X, bumper and winch to St. Pete on a weekend we can knock it out.
After all the urges, I'm tempted to give it a shot myself over the weekend. The only concern I have is being able to lift the bumper up. I don't have any rafters in the garage, from some of the pictures I've seen.

I'm thinking I might be able to use 2 floor jacks, a couple of jack stands, and pieces from the shipping pallet to jack it in place. Any other ideas there?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. Where did you end up mounting the winch control box?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a Superwinch TS 9500 winch and control box mounted in my bumper. All I had to do was move the control plug in to the top of the bumper. The bumper/winch combo that I helped install had an Engo winch. The owner decided to mount the control box under the hood. We did not actually get to install the control box the day the bumper was mounted. The owner had to buy extended cables to do the install.

There was no one around to help me when I installed my bumper and winch. I had to figure out a way to do the job solo. I put the bumper front side down on the old piece of carpet to protect the paint. On the bottom of the bumper there are 3 bolt holes where the skid plate will mount. I cut a piece of a 4X4 post a little wider then the skid plate bolt holes. Then I took the cup out of my floor jack out of the jack drilled two holes in it and used two long lag bolts to bolt the jack cup to the center of the 4X4 post. After that I held the 4X4 post to the bumper to mark the 3 skid plate bolt holes. I drilled pilot holes in the 4X4 post then used 3 smaller lag bolts to bolt the post to the bumper. I mounted my winch when the bumper was on the carpet. After that all I had to do was grap the tubing on the bumper a roll the jack cup into the jack. Once you get the cup into the jack you can safely maneuver the bumper/winch around.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Superwinch TS 9500 winch and control box mounted in my bumper. All I had to do was move the control plug in to the top of the bumper. The bumper/winch combo that I helped install had an Engo winch. The owner decided to mount the control box under the hood. We did not actually get to install the control box the day the bumper was mounted. The owner had to buy extended cables to do the install.

There was no one around to help me when I installed my bumper and winch. I had to figure out a way to do the job solo. I put the bumper front side down on the old piece of carpet to protect the paint. On the bottom of the bumper there are 3 bolt holes where the skid plate will mount. I cut a piece of a 4X4 post a little wider then the skid plate bolt holes. Then I took the cup out of my floor jack out of the jack drilled two holes in it and used two long lag bolts to bolt the jack cup to the center of the 4X4 post. After that I held the 4X4 post to the bumper to mark the 3 skid plate bolt holes. I drilled pilot holes in the 4X4 post then used 3 smaller lag bolts to bolt the post to the bumper. I mounted my winch when the bumper was on the carpet. After that all I had to do was grap the tubing on the bumper a roll the jack cup into the jack. Once you get the cup into the jack you can safely maneuver the bumper/winch around.
Sounds plausible. I'm planning to give it a shot on Friday night, and see how I make out. Thanks for the tips/tricks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a little update - got everything off and the bumper all set to go on, but don't have the tools or muscle to put the bad boy up on the truck. So now I have my X with a naked front end, and a shrock bumper sitting in front of it.

EPIC FAIL :)

Going to see if I can recruit some manpower to assist with the mounting.

At least I have the wife's CJ to drive in the meantime.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Success with the assistance of the brother-in-law!!!! Scratched a little bit of the powder coat when it slipped off the jack stand, but nothing too bad.

Although, I think I mounted the winch solenoid on the wrong side of the bumper, since I can't plug in to it. Guess I'll have to reverse this over the weekend.

No 4x4 shop needed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
4 Wheel drive Supply west Colonial drive.

Just past Pine Hills Road before Ocoee. I use to be supplier those guys when I was a vender. They do good work in Phoenix. A pricy, but good work and they have been there awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts