Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a POS Craftsman floor jack just over a year ago. Have rotated tires 4 times and done a couple lift installs and the seals blow on the jack. Sears say tough...

Ergo I need a decsent floor jack that does not cost too much, and will last more than a year. A little help please :blackeye:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A good craftsman jack will last many years. I still have the same Craftsman jack that I bought in Highschool at my fathers and it's still going strong.

So that being said, I would still look at a 3ton Craftsman.

I know Sams club has a cheap 3ton, but I have a similar model that broke in less than 6 months.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
muzikman said:
A good craftsman jack will last many years. I still have the same Craftsman jack that I bought in Highschool at my fathers and it's still going strong.
Good being the operative word. I should have gone to Sears' web site first. Now I see about 24 reviews all saying the same thing--jack blows up afte 4 or 5 uses...

I've lost faith in Craftsman--they used to rock, now they suck.

·
on line
589 Posts
I saw the same thing about most of the craftsmen floor jacks on Sears website, there was one on the website I saw that did get decent reviews and that is the one I ended up picking up. I have been happy with it so far...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I got one of them speedy 6 pumps to lift aluminum jacks, And about 3 more floor jacks of different sizes and 20 bottle jacks of different sizes. But the new Aluminum one is my Fav, It can jack a lifted X with no blocks or shims. Harbor freight like $140. If I had to buy one, that would be the one. MC

·
on line
358 Posts
I have an old Craftsman 2.5 ton, all steel. Great jack. The problem with the new craftsman is that K-Mart bought them a few years ago and since, the tools and service has gone down hill FAST!

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Harbor Freight 2 1/4 ton floor jack. About $40, but not a bad jack for the cost. I've hand it for 5+ years, and aside from the handle sticking occassionally (you turn it to lower it... hasn't happened lately, but nothing a little grease wouldn't solve I'm sure), it works great. My buddy had a 3 ton Powerbuilt from Checker that seemed really smooth, but I think they run about $100. The aluminum quick pumps/race jacks are sweet, but spendy.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
usmc xterra said:
I got one of them speedy 6 pumps to lift aluminum jacks, And about 3 more floor jacks of different sizes and 20 bottle jacks of different sizes. But the new Aluminum one is my Fav, It can jack a lifted X with no blocks or shims. Harbor freight like $140. If I had to buy one, that would be the one. MC
What capacity and lift height?

This one here?:::
US General BLUE RAPID PUMP(TM) 3000 LB. CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM RACING JACK $134.99
* Minimum saddle height: 3-1/2''
* Maximum saddle height: 17-1/2''
* Hydraulic lift: 14''
* Handle overall length: 47-1/4''
* Two piece knurled aluminum handle prevents slipping
* Overall dimensions: 23.62'' L x 11.81''W x 6.1''H
* Tool weight: 35.40 lbs.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
RogueClimber said:
usmc xterra said:
What capacity and lift height?

This one here?:::
US General BLUE RAPID PUMP(TM) 3000 LB. CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM RACING JACK $134.99
* Minimum saddle height: 3-1/2''
* Maximum saddle height: 17-1/2''
* Hydraulic lift: 14''
* Handle overall length: 47-1/4''
* Two piece knurled aluminum handle prevents slipping
* Overall dimensions: 23.62'' L x 11.81''W x 6.1''H
* Tool weight: 35.40 lbs.
Yea that looks like it by the specs. I have used it like every day and have found no hang ups with it. Best part is the weight of it. I also like how high and low it goes. Smooth operator.

Anyone knows that been to my shop, I have like unlimited tool budget, and so much crap I can't remember what I have, and if I do, I have to look for it most of the time, but, I know I got it, I have 1 of everything a more of some. MC

·
on line
400 Posts

·
on line
143 Posts

·
on line
57 Posts
Yeah, I think it's one of those "your mileage may vary" type of things.

·
on line
14 Posts
I have one of the bigger Aluminum Harbor Freight jacks that started developing a "self lowering" feature after a year of using it. I also have the smaller aluminum jack that they sell, which is great for lowered cars, and that one hasn't had any issues.

YMMV

Albert

·
on line
358 Posts
"Self Lowering" is NOT a good feature. IMO

·
on line
14 Posts
Yeah - I agree. That jack is now in the basement. I have not been impressed with the quality of the Harbor Freight jacks.

Jacks are one of those things that you get what you pay for ...

Albert

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Man I been buying jacks at discount stores for like 30 years, never had a jack fail, period. There are maintenance things you do to jacks and better ways to store them and all, maybe read the instructions? Buy a set of Jack stands same time you buy a Jack, use a jack to jack the car up, not to hold it up and maybe have some better luck. I should take a picture of my working discount store Jack collection some day. MC

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bought this today at Harbor Freight:

RAPID PUMPâ„¢ 4000 LB CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT LOW PROFILE ALUMINUM RACING JACK

Followed the directions, bled the system per said directions and 20 pumps later the X was still on the ground and the jack maxed out at 15 in. According to the box supposed to hit 18.25in........ :bounce:

Headed back to HF tomorrow

·
on line
204 Posts
get a snap-on if you have the money. i know a few people who have had problems with craftsman jacks, on the other hand i have my grandpas old craftsman and it works fine. when i get a new one ( pretty soon) i'm going to check out Harbor freight

1 - 20 of 21 Posts