Totaled?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

Flooded Xterra = Totaled?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Tlrtucker 
#1 ·
So the area I live in is currently flooded.
My Xterra is in the garage, haven't seen it yet.
Went back yesterday in a boat to recover important documents and a server backup drive from the farm. It was approx 1.2m (4ft) deep.
What are the chances that my truck survives this? It's parked beside my brother's BMW M2 (his weekend car).
I positive the BMW is totaled, and I'm 99% certain my truck is as well, but wondering if anyone has gone through something similar?

The water came up 4 days ago and they are still working on fixing the dike/levee and pumping, but it'll take at least another week before I can see the truck.
All in all the truck is the least of my concern (all farm implements and tractors are also in the same water, plus all our winter crops are destroyed). We have flood insurance, but I don't think I'll likely find another 6spd Xterra in as good condition as mine for sale since they are discontinued. I just rolled over 100,000 km and the truck was a stock Pro4X.
Some picture of the outside of the building.
Water Sky Water resources Building Architecture

Xterra is behind this door (plus a BMW and 5 motorbikes)
Wood Shade Interior design Rectangle Floor

See less See more
#5 ·
Prayers sent.

Ive known insurance companies to make some screwy decisions.
A few years back, a coworkers Porsche Speedster was flooded.
River silt contaminated every crack and crevice of this car.
The insurance company would not total it.

#7 ·
Nasty. Was the X insured by provincial insurer ICBC? I would expect ICBC to treat you well.

As for finding a replacement manual shift 'younger' PRO-X...... that could be tough. Prices could be more friendly once overnight rates and 10 year US bond yields go up in the latter half of 2022.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.
Yes it's in Sumas Prairie, yup insured by ICBC.
Already started the claim process, but will need to wait until the water has been pumped out before I can tow it to a shop for them to assess.

All in all its one of the lower concerns. Like I said all our farm tractors and vehicles are in the same water and while those are also insured, lead times were already long the last 2 years, so going to be a tough next few years if everything needs to be replaced...

Just saw a similar mileage Pro4X for sale, 6sp, in Surrey... They are asking more than what I paid for my truck brand new :confused:

#10 ·
Members.

Please share any tips which can help this gentleman receive the best possible payment for his xterra.

#12 ·
I recommend trying to have your X declared a total loss. Hopefully you can they buy your X back for salvage value (less than $500.00 American). Then dry it out and see what happens.

#13 ·
Man, I have some friends that have been affected by these floods. A buddy and his family were minutes away from being swept away in a mud slide on the 7. He got stuck in Hope for a few days.

Sucks to hear about your truck. Hopefully, if it's totaled, you can find a suitable replacement.

#15 ·
Ive had water in cab before.. the only computer that is lower than the dash is the airbag module which is below the cup holders.... I fried it with the water awhile back. Kept the truck from running.. replaced it and truck works like i never had water in it. Now my water intrusion was from being a Dumb a**, but its possible to save it... Water hight depending... if it was mine, I would buy it back and dry her out. It will probably b a fight for a while. Replace all fluids no matter what b4 starting it. Hearts out to yall.

#16 ·
The only flooded vehicles I've heard of making a recovery were never the same. And those were rigs that had water flood the interior and then immediately drain out. Water sitting in there for days - forget about it, unfortunately.

It'll be interesting to see how your insurance company treats a total loss with used vehicle values being what they are currently. Hopefully they treat you right. When my '07 Xterra was totaled in 2018 they gave me more than I could have sold it for pre-crash. I was actually in the process of trying to sell it for $6k and was not getting any interest, Progressive gave me $8200, so you never know - they're not all out to screw you over. Another friend was trying to sell his '06 Excursion for $15k when an electrical fire burned the thing to the ground and his insurance paid him $21k. I hope you're just as lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.