Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't make it as I"m out of town but if anyone is interested in helping out...

Many of you may be aware of the work that has been going on with the Meadow Creek bridge at the base of Camp Hill aka the Hill to Nowhere on Lost Knife trail. The old bridge was removed and the bridge from the now closed section of Meadow Creek trail was relocated there in its place. This past fall in conjunction with the Ghost Watershed Alliance (GWAS) and Cows and Fish we were able to get a couple of environmental engineers out to the bridge to assess it. They have provided a plan for "armouring" the bridge against erosion and to help it survive another flood event.

Part of the recommendation includes planting willows along the river banks to prevent further erosion. Fortunately we can take cuttings from other willows in the area and store them until we're ready to do the work in May. This coming Saturday (Feb. 22st) we will be going out to Waiparous with the environmental engineers and representatives from GWAS and Cows and Fish to take the cuttings but we need volunteers!

I apologize for the short notice, but I only just got confirmation of the details today. The plan is to meet out at 4 Mile Creek, just past the entrance to Lost Knife at 9:30am. Volunteers should dress appropriately for the weather conditions that day and bring work gloves, large hand pruners, and if you have any toboggans or sleds to bring the cuttings back to the trucks that would be handy. Safety glasses might not be a bad idea either.

Meeting at the Smitty's parking lot in Cochrane at 8am Saturday morning to lead people out at 8:30am sharp if they're unsure of the location.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So apparent;y they didn't get as many cutting as they would have liked but still didn't do bad. Here's some photos from the day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/burningchr0me/sets/72157635237785816/

The next date for the bridge repair work is the weekend of May 9th - 11th. Hopefully we can get a few people out to help. There is the suggestion of camping out there that weekend depending on conditions at the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts