Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know I own a heep that I use for offroading. Well I am going to hot springs this weekend for an event with my XJ club. I have decided to tow the XJ behind the X so that my wife and son can go into town while I am wheeling. I got everything set up tonight, hitch and receiver on the X, tow bar on the XJ and took it out for a spin. First impression is this is gonna be a long slow drive. I normally do 80 on the freeway but I am gonna have to keep my speeds at 65. As far as towing the X pulls the xj with ease. I know its back there but at the same time, taking off from a start it rolls very nicely. After next weekend I will have a full report on the 900 mile round trip tow.

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK well I just got back from my trip. Put nearly 1k miles of towing. I think I may have avareged around 14.5 mpg. Not for sure acurate but that what i averaged on one tank. As for the towing, I dont think I would do it again. Damn thing was squirly most of the time and the lack of brakes made fro interesting stops and starts. I was also at most times never able to mainain a speed of more then 55-60 mph. I like my X, but i think this is the one and only time I will tow my XJ behind it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, the XJ is a bit heavy and flat towing is always scary. I have given up on the idea of towing the Rubi with the X.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Thats why I got a --

----LIGHT TRAILER !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JIMBO said:

----LIGHT TRAILER !!!

What does that have to do with anythign. I had a reason for towing my Xj to Hot Springs. And it wasnt for extra room or a place to sleep.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Sorry to offend you BDC--

bigdaddychia said:
JIMBO said:

----LIGHT TRAILER !!!

What does that have to do with anythign. I had a reason for towing my Xj to Hot Springs. And it wasnt for extra room or a place to sleep.
--I was commenting om Muzik's post about Heavy--

·
on line
617 Posts
It's lighter and more squirrelly due to its short wheel base. But it has brakes when in tow which makes a huge difference...

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YEah and at the same time I am not gonna buy a bigger truck to tow with or a trailer. I towed for this one trip and have decided never to tow it again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts