Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages or disadvantages of having the sliders angled up vs having them come straight out?

I'm leaning toward flat for two reasons: 1) Old wounds from my Marine Corps days make it difficult for me to reach items in the top rack without a step. 2) I travel with a golden retriever service dog and have some concerns about his paws slipping between the outer tubing and the rocker panel, so was planning on going the diamond plate cover route.

I'm not a hardcore offroad type; more of a backroads exploring/camping off the grid type. It seems like flat would give me a more stable platform with the diamond plate protecting my dog, but does that style offer less protection..? In searching the topic it seems like most of the opinions offered are based on aesthetics rather than function.

Pete

·
TNX Veteran
4,094 Posts
The main goal of sliders is to keep rocks away from your rocker panels. Sure, with flat you lose a slight amount of protection (something could come over the slider and poke your door). Where you also lose is ground clearance - the flat ones will hang down a bit more and be slightly wider.

However, I think both of the things above require very specific scenarios which will usually probably happen only in hardcore offroad situations. Also, I do a lot of hardcore offroading, and I would be hard-pressed to be able to recall a specific scenario where I would say "oh man, if my slider was flat I would have never made it!"

I definitely recommend flat for you and totally cover the gap with diamond plate. That gap is scary even for a human foot - if you try to step on it and it's wet and you slip through, you could break your foot or ankle. With flat sliders, you will still get plenty of protection. Also, pick up some anti-slip tape. Makes a HUGE difference when it is wet! Here's pic of my angled white-knuckle sliders for reference:

·
TNX Veteran
4,094 Posts
Also, I do a lot of hardcore offroading, and I would be hard-pressed to be able to recall a specific scenario where I would say "oh man, if my slider was flat I would have never made it!"
Ok, I'm eating my own words. Here it would have made a difference. But in this situation I still had to winch and also this trail sucked. So unless you plan to do really stupid stuff like this, I'm thinking you are good to go with flat :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got some P&P level IV sliders, and they're awesome. I had the whole thing covered with dimpled plating and its nice to be able to access the roof rack without having to open the door. Having that sharp angle upwards seems to be nice for better coverage, but not super necessary if your off-roading isn't hardcore. I covered mine with rustoleum bed-liner and the grip is nice and if it ever chips its easy to touch up. Go flat for sure

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
We do a lot of off pavement travel but don't go looking for rocks to crawl over. While I have scraped my skid plates I have never actually dragged the sliders on anything. But, they make great steps for accessing the roof, and for my short wife to get into the Xterra.

Another vote for flat, with some type of tread plate and a textured coating for grip.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, here's another take, sometimes I wish for the angled for more bottom clearance, but my Shrock saved me on a SIDE slide once, into a tall boulder. Good thing that horizontal profile saved my doors, it was close! So, yes it depends the terrain you'll most likely encounter. I use my sliders all the time to reach my rack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered the level 2 from P&P about an hour ago and I was back and forth on this very question for a week. I went kicked up, and I am still not sure if I made the right choice. The main reason I went with that is because I really didn't want something sticking way out from the side. The last off-roading trip I went on resulted in my factory steps getting trashed (I knew it was a 90% probability) but the kicked up slides would have been awesome on some of the tight turns. I think the flat would have hit stuff that I didn't need to hit.

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I vote angled. Looks a lot better IMO
The question wasn’t about looks. I need a stable platform to stand on without risking injury to my dog as he ages. How big a gap do your angled sliders have? Could a dog paw slip through?

·
Registered
546 Posts
The question wasn’t about looks. I need a stable platform to stand on without risking injury to my dog as he ages. How big a gap do your angled sliders have? Could a dog paw slip through?
I custom fabbed mine, it's basically square tubing under the pinch weld, then it follows the body, and then a piece of square (flat side up) right close to the body.

Flat or angled I think you have enough space to fit a dog paw in between the body and the tubing either way. Sliders flex when your rig falls on it, most manufacturers leave enough of a gap to allow for that flex without damaging the body.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thing before answering the first time. I can use mine as a step since the top is parallel with the ground, but it's almost at the same height as the interior floor.

To really answer your first post though

• If used mainly as steps, flat is probably more useful
  • if used mainly for rock protection, the angled ones theoretically give better clearance and protect the sides a little better from stuff sticking out.

As far as using a hi-lift, if the angled version sticks out far enough I don't see an issue with them for that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went with Shrockworks flat. It’s a very stable step for getting in(short womenfolk), standing on to reach on top or even setting your foot on with door open. It may not look as streamlined as the angled but it works for our use.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the design here on Thnewx. If you do a
Google search for CAD drawings sliders thenewx you will come across the plans.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, here's another take, sometimes I wish for the angled for more bottom clearance, but my Shrock saved me on a SIDE slide once, into a tall boulder. Good thing that horizontal profile saved my doors, it was close! So, yes it depends the terrain you'll most likely encounter. I use my sliders all the time to reach my rack.
Actually my Shrocks are slightly angled maybe 20-30 deg, not straight out. This is the non-BL version. Makes great jacking points too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts