Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of flasher our X's have? I've been semi-scouring the net and I can't find nuthin. I want to go LED conversion, and I'll post up some how-to's etc, but I need to know what flasher we use! or where it is and how to access it and I'll figger it out myself.

thx.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I can only guess it is a 3 prong electronic. If it is not. It should be at least an electronic. You may have to use resistors to get the LED's to flash on the X they sell a kit at autozone for like $16? They might have just one due to low demand. Look at it and then go to a radio shack and buy same thing for $1.79 for two. Or you can wire a license plate bulb into the circuit and that will kick the flasher also. I did this conversion on something else and no luck with LED friendly flashers. More info go to Webelectric.com by the way the flashing brake light is really cool that he sells, he lives near me. I also do the sequential turn signals on cars with 2 - 3 tail lamps like Caddy's.

You master that Mod do a good write up people will need it for sure.

MC

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I found the flashers/relays they're under the hood by the battery. there's one per side (LH turn and RH turn) and they're 4 prong. I took a few pics. MC (or anyone) do you know what to replace them with to make them LED friendly? :) thanks!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
dragonplay YOU'VE Done it! By Gosh you are The man! YES! If what hey say is true Order it! I looked under flashers and they list a few and it says they will work with any LED regular bulb combo, I ope they also mean LED alone However, , considering that the front will remain incandescent, it should work anyways if they are on same circuit, in that case any electronic flasher will work. BUT for the price, I'd order that flasher and do the test, Take that flasher and note polarity of LED, an LED only works when + is on Pos side and Neg is on Neg side, Incandescent bulb it does not matter. Keep this in mind those of you working with LED's. Now, go bulb to neg, pos to flasher pole, and other flasher pole to + batt. If it flashes you have found the cure for all LED applications! First though, test it with a test light or regular bulb and get that to flash then hook LED respecting polarity. Remember one prong, normally the odd one out is just an indicator flip that trips the light on your dash when a bulb burns out. So don't use that one in the test. I use little jumper wires with alligator clips for this test. MC

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's what I'm trying to figure out though, how the heck do i wire it? none of the ones shown are 4 prong, I have a multimeter, what would I use to find out what does what and what I need?

thx!!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
There I go getting all excited and I don't even know what the 4th prong is for. I have to check it out. All I can figure is they split it so that two are for the truck and two are for the trailer. This is the weirdest system I have ever seen. (Left and right split) Hang in there, when I get home I'll try to test it out and see what does what. Right now it's got me fooled. Unless it's wired like I said, but in that case we are out of luck unless we buy the LED flashers and wire them in with jumpers to flash just the installed LED lights and use the factory flashers with jumpers on the other two terminals to flash what is left. Not hard to do, plenty of room in there for all that. I'm thinking the EP27 they list would work.... But we have to make sure what prong does what.

Maybe it's a front to back left and right split?
Like two prongs on left flash Rear and.... other two prongs on left flash the front. Or... Two prongs on left flash Xterra F&R and other two on left Flash Trailer harness. I know Nissan Isolated the system from the trailer for some reason, maybe has to do with the way they did the traction control, ABS or VDC or even Locker that they had to isolate it.

Ya know, if you loose your trailer lights and you try to fix, there is two fuses 10 amp under the steering column that go to trailer lights only.
This is what gets my suspicion up.

When checking it out, you can use jumpers and remove one and see what don't work. The Flashers will click when working, you can hear it and feel it to the touch even on electronic ones. This is bugging me, I'm going to walk out into the parking lot of this Hotel and See if someone will let me tear into their wire harness with a test light! Be right back! JK!

Feel free to test away with this info. I'm out on a trip right now. MC

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hrm... what I'm wondering is if that's acutally the flasher for the turns, and not just the flasher for the trailer lights? That's what someone said on the LED forums. oops dinner is ready, we'll figure this out soon MC!

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so I just went downstairs and turned on the turn signal, then went under the hood and pulled the flasher relay thing whilest it was clicking. it stopped clicking but the turn signal kept chugging away... where is the darn flasher???

·
on line
3,484 Posts
That might make sense that those might be the relay's for the turns signals. Be a good reason why there would be four prongs. Turn on turn signal and listen for the flash go to the clicking sound wherever it is, normally under the dash! Could be by glove box maybe? MC

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MC i'm almost 95% sure its IN the gauge cluster, I unscrewed it and turned the turn signal on and put my ear up to the back of it and it sounded like it was coming from inside the gauge cluster. this is killing me... it's either in the gauge cluster or directly behind it (which is really hard to access)

·
on line
210 Posts
You should look at the Service Manual page LT-56 for the components location and operation. The "flasher click" may come from the BCM next to the gaz pedal...

Regards

·
on line
210 Posts
BCM = Body Control Module:

Service Manual BCS-3 said:
BCM has a combination switch reading functionfor reading the operation of the combination switch (light, wiper, washer, turn signal) in addition to the function for controlling the operation of various electrical equipments.
Also, it functions as an interface that receives signals from the AC control unit, and send signals to the ECM using the CAN communication.
Again, open the Service Manual...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
If that is true, that would suck. It's a Nissan! They don't break who buys a service Manuel? :cheers: :cheers: Thanks for the info. Maybe when it gets real old I will subscribe to one online. Dealer lets me play with his it has cool pictures and is on the net! MC

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok I just bought a cd copy of the service manual online, it should be here by saturday. if anyone on the board wants a copy, find a place to host the file and let me know!

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I also know a guy that has a pdf of the whole manual. PM me if you are curious about it. :cheers:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Man I can vaguely recall looking at the Manuel on line way back. Seems there was a small fee. But I did it. Can't remember how. That would be cool if we could legally host it for the site. But I am a user, not a PC brainiac.... My brother is , I just use the help line. Something tells me the almighty dollar will have to be involved. MC

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I'm trying to send it but it is freaking big! I need a free filesharing thingy...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts