Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first time offroading in the Xterra, first time offroading with a manual transmission, and first time offroading since moving away from Colorado. It was a blast! The Xterra impressed me, and the rear locker makes obstacles so easy it feels like cheating. The terrain was rocky and reminded me of the shelf roads back in CO (except for the surrounding jungle).

Started pouring rain right after I aired down, which made it a bit more slick, but it eased up by the time I got to the really rough stuff and mostly stopped by the time I got to the top. That probably kept people home, because I pretty much had the place to myself.

Hate how pictures flatten terrain out, but here is the top of the first obstacle:
Plant Tree Natural landscape Road surface Wood

Looking up from the same obstacle:
Plant Tire Plant community Wheel Automotive tire

Second obstacle, which also looks tame in pictures:
Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle

There were a couple more tough spots and a total of 4 or 5 spots where I engaged the locker. Would have made it through without it, but it just walked up with no drama with the locker. There was also some optional harder stuff that I bypassed this time since it was slick and didn't have a spotter. Can't wait to go back.

Lots of water crossings.
Plant Tree Natural environment Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

At Flagpole Knob:
Cloud Tire Car Land vehicle Sky

View from the top:
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Took Switzer Lake road back down. It was a much easier route with no obstacles, but it was senic. Several more water crossings.
Water Plant Ecoregion Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

Ended at Switzer Lake and aired back up.
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Plant

Had one part fail on the way back down the hill: the driver's window switch or motor. Luckily I found this post and it worked after I gave it the Fonzie whack. Otherwise it would have been a long drive home.

Other than that the X was great, and I'm looking forward to the next trip!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looks nice, and within a day trip for me. I haven't done any off-road driving since I moved to the DC area from out west. I'm not that big into "wheeling for wheeling's sake", rather, I like having an Xterra to get me to cool places to do and see cool things. So something like this looks ideal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks nice, and within a day trip for me. I haven't done any off-road driving since I moved to the DC area from out west. I'm not that big into "wheeling for wheeling's sake", rather, I like having an Xterra to get me to cool places to do and see cool things. So something like this looks ideal.
Havent tried this trail yet. Looks amazing, thanks for sharing. I'm in the DC area too, always up an outing if your interested.
Cool, I'm in the DC area, too. We'll have to get a group together next time. I've been wanting to go with the Capitol Off Road Enthusiasts club, but the schedule hasn't worked out for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts