Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the other topic about paint sucking, I have a spot that got chipped and now has rust. It's pretty small, but since my wife has pointed it out, I can't stop seeing it. I have never done any touch up before, is this an easy fix? Since there is rust what steps do I need to do? And how do I get matching paint color? I searched some but not much.
Thanks

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you can use a brillo pad to scrub out the rust, or a rust remover, just becareful, most rust removers are not safe for the paint.

you can then use some touch-up paint, put a few layer on with time in between to allow each layer to dry

then wax to protect the new paint.

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds easy enough....so no primer for touch up spots? And how/where do I get paint to match my Night Armor?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
don't really know about a primer, i've never used it and haven't had any problems. best place to get paint would be the a body shop or the dealer...they can match the color code from the car. a body shop is likely to mix it a little differently to compensate for fade from UV, dealer likely won't....but i guess it depends how well you know the shop

·
on line
1,977 Posts
I`d be REAL CAREFUL with that Brillo pad.You could make a much worse mess.I bought this pen like thing a long while ago at an auto parts store.It had a small tip to get into tiny places to rub the rust out.Good luck.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
can some one verify that a cue-tip and wd40 will remove the rust. I heard that somewhere and thought that would be easy for small spots.

·
on line
2,570 Posts
WD40 would only stop a rust spot from getting worse. The downside is that the WD would need to be removed THOROUGHLY before attempting to touch up or paint the spot, and even still can seep into the metal and cause problems to the new paint.

can some one verify that a cue-tip and wd40 will remove the rust. I heard that somewhere and thought that would be easy for small spots.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
i would suggest one of these or sumthing similar to remove the rust

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MAC+150

then process with normal touch up procedures.
"Small detail prep pen tool" doesn't exactly sound like the way I would prefer to go abut removing rust from the entire undercarriage! I'm guessing a spray-on or roll-on product would be the most effective method - unless you have some experience w/ this pen and swear by it?

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Yea rust inhibtor spray neutralizes and turns into a primer. Either paint over or just leave as is. If you find new spots down the road just spray with that. I think I might have to do that myself.
Actually spray the bed liner stuff over the inhibitor it would seal it good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts