Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. Gobi sent me a replcement bracket because a bolt was messed up. Well, the replacement is still messed up. Looks like someone put a clamp on the bolt and smashed a thread. I think that if i took a file too it or something i could fix it myself. Gobi told me it would be three weeks before they could possibly send a new one.

Any suggestions? Or am i on the right track?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A good tap and die set is any where from $60 to a couple hundred. Depends on the number of taps and dies.

Honestly, run to the local hardware store and pick up just the correct sized die. I have found having a kit doesn't help when it doen't have the sizes you need.

You might also be able to use a grade 8 (or a grade 10.9 if metric) nut to clean up the threads, It really depends on the grade of bolt and how bad the threads are messed up.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
File the thread until it looks like the rest. If the damage wasn't that bad it wont make a difference and shouldn't compromise the bolt strength or thread strength enough to matter. Just file it with a triangular file until the nut goes on easily. I don't see the point in buying a die set for it. If you have one available its def a better route but it really shouldn't matter.

·
on line
429 Posts
A die is the way to go. Try NAPA also. There's a tool called a thread chaser too that resembles a 4 sided file with a variety of thread pitches on it. I'd go with the die though.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
IMO File it! It's no different then fixing the thread on the end of a piece of cut threaded rod. Save your time and money.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I have a hardware store that specializes in bolts and stuff like that. Assuming you can find the same thing there, you could also probably replace the bolt, like Muzikman said.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bolt is welded to the bracket. No chance replacing thebolt unless i just cut it off, and drill out the rest of it. Its not the WHOLE bolt that is messed up, just like one thread that i can see. And last time, the thread was screwed up the bolt went on ok, but stripped it all when it came off. I dont want to force anything. I think i may go with trying to get just the one dool that i would need instead of a kit. If i cant find anything localy that comes individually ill go with a file. If that doesnt work. Gobi can send me yet another one in three weeks.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you would have thought i discovered fire in my kitchen tonight.

Exterock posted the harbor frieght link, you kick ass. I was at work waiting for my last apt and saw you posted it. So i clicked on it, and looked for a local store. I never knew there was one ten miles from my house. So i went there, and got TWO Tap and Die sets. One 40 piece standard set, and one 40 piece metric set. They were only ten bucks each! So im thinking, buy both fool, dont get caught with out somethign you may need sometime.

So i got home, went to the kitchen, got the jacked up bolt, and turned the little die on it and now it works frigging perfectly. I was smiling like i got a pony for christmas. Thanks for the help guys.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Right on man, good to hear. You gotta love the Harbor Freight.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
mcampana said:
Well you would have thought i discovered fire in my kitchen tonight.

Exterock posted the harbor frieght link, you kick ass. I was at work waiting for my last apt and saw you posted it. So i clicked on it, and looked for a local store. I never knew there was one ten miles from my house. So i went there, and got TWO Tap and Die sets. One 40 piece standard set, and one 40 piece metric set. They were only ten bucks each! So im thinking, buy both fool, dont get caught with out somethign you may need sometime.

So i got home, went to the kitchen, got the jacked up bolt, and turned the little die on it and now it works frigging perfectly. I was smiling like i got a pony for christmas. Thanks for the help guys.
Tools are like crack. Once you start...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
mcampana said:
Exterock posted the harbor frieght link, you kick ass. I was at work waiting for my last apt and saw you posted it. So i clicked on it, and looked for a local store. I never knew there was one ten miles from my house.
thenewx connected me with Harbor Freight for the first time as well--only 8 miles away! It's saved my butt (and a load of cash) over and over already.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Gotta love that place. Feel like a kid in a candy store. Everything's so cheap. Of course tools can't compete on the level of the name brand ones, but for me their stuff has gotten the job done. And they've got a very liberal exchange/return policy.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
xterrock said:
Of course tools can't compete on the level of the name brand ones, but for me their stuff has gotten the job done
As suggested to me in an old thread by Muzikman, I buy my sockets and torque wrenches and stuff like that at Sears (I've also got some top of the line pliers by Knipex from Expedition Exchange that are pricey and amazing and a few random Snap-on tools). But then I've bought tons of stuff at Harbor Freight, from zip ties to breaker bars that have saved me a bundle and are all I need. For the amount of times I'm gonna use a snap ring pliers, the ones from H F are fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts