Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, This is my first time posting here but I was checking this forum for a easy fix for this clicking noise and I ended up finding my own fix and wanted to share.
First thing is to remove both of the glove boxes (top and bottom) so you can access the flap that's getting stuck. I've seen with some of the posts that the flap was stuck in the closed position and that the clicking was due to it trying to open. For my situation, the flap was freely able to move up and down it was just when it was closing it would attempt to close more than it should which was causing the clicking noise.
The fix I found for this situation was to remove the cover for the cabin air filter which is right next to the stuck flap. When the flap was in the closed position feel in the cabin air filter housing for the lip of the flap. Once you feel it just give it a push up. You should hear a click as it pops back into place. That was about it. Put the cover back on the cabin filter, reinstall the glove boxes and you're good to go.
I just did this fix about 15 minutes ago so I'm not sure how long it will last. But hopefully this helps anyone who has been having issues with this situation.

Happy Holidays :)

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Be careful doing this. You risk snapping the quite fragile tang at the end of the flap where it fits to the actuator. If this snaps, it can be a real bear to pull the whole dash apart and disassemble the heater core box. Along the lines of 8 hrs shop time. So, seriously beware!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
684 Posts
Awesome post, thanks for sharing.

I have a buddy in his newer pro4x titan with the same issue except it sounds closer to the driver foot-well. So I'll dig into that and see if it's something similar.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I know this was started back in November but still an awesome first post. I gave up months ago trying to figure out what this noise was but I may give this a try though, I figured it was just a leaf stuck near the blower motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the post; I just did the fix. Once you know what you are looking for, you don't need to pull out the upper glove box, unless you just can't see what you are doing.

This happened to me yesterday, when it was at the dealers getting the timing chain guide fix. I believe the issue is caused by the engine being shut down while the AC is on max and recirculate. That was the state my truck was in when I went to pick it up. I have always, and recommend, that you shut off the AC before shutting off a vehicle. Besides this issue, it is also harder on your starter to turn the engine over while also pulling on the AC compressor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts