Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been thinking about this for a while and havent really came to a conclusion.

wondering if you guys had any ideas....?

I have the procomp 7089's and because these rims required hub rings my centercaps wont fit. The cetercaps are push through form the back and need to put on before the lugs are tigtened...
I will post pics later showing you what I mean....

thanks

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Call 4 Wheel Parts, of course Pro Comp's #1 distributor. They may have some caps that fit up from the outside, with rubber o-rings to hold them in place. I know Pro Comp has a bunch of different caps that fit that way, just not sure about the 7089s.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone got a pic of procomps snap in center caps?...I have googled it and have comp up with nothing....a snap in center does exist(4wheelparts) but no pic.....I am gonna call them tommarrow and see what they say. They are pretty cheap

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
No hub centric wheels on any of my vehicles, and I do this nearly every day to my Titan. Never had a wheel come loose or a stud break. Xterra is the same way. Im not advocating takeing the spacers off, but just letting you know that your wheels will NOT fall off or have any balance issues if you dont run them.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes he is have you seen his xterra that thing is friggin sweet!
I have been hearing that alot latley about not worrying about the rings but I cant put myself in a situation which might or might not happen. My x is my daily driver and I got 2 kids that I transport everyday...so I have alot riding on those wheels.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so here is the update on the center caps....well there arent any....Sales at procomp basically couldnt understand why I put the hub rings on in the first place...he said because we have a 6 bolt pattern that all the bolts when tigtened will keep the wheel centered and if you Offroad your vehicle hard(which I dont) then if you break a lug the hub ring will not protect you in anyway your basically "SOL". He also said wheels have been around for years and for the longest time aftermarket rims where lug centric...

He makes sense, but I dont know if I will get rid of the hub rings...

any thoughts

also Greg @ Prg says its not necessary

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I'm glad to see Greg posting here. I have heard other vendors and experienced offroaders offer the same opinion as he is giving. Proper torque and frequent inspection (including grabbing the tire with the wheel in the air and checking for excess movement, and thus a bad bearing) are the keys to wheel safety.

I have Pro Comp wheels without rings, I hit stuff hard with them all the time, and have gone a year with no problems. That doesn't mean I'm home free, but if I keep a careful eye on things, I can spot an issue before it becomes a disaster.

And BTW, I do have push-in-from-the-outside caps which magically stay on with o-rings and work (and look) great.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
d-rap said:
And BTW, I do have push-in-from-the-outside caps which magically stay on with o-rings and work (and look) great.
maybe I need to give this a try first....I just figured they wouldnt fit, but its good to that other people are running lug centric rims without rings...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I got mine a 4 Wheel Parts about a year ago. You have to see what they have or what they can order that will fit your wheel. Their cap styles apparently change all the time, and they might have ones around that will fit. They have all kinds of stuff in their warehouses if you can get them to really look.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called them....they said they had nothing and because I live in Canada I cant actually go to their actual location. Someone who also has this issue who lives in the U.S want to take this on for me I would greatly appreciate it.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Why are you guys scared to use lug-centric wheels the way they were intended to be used? I know that some people on this site have posted "precautions" about lug-centric wheels, but is that the only reason?

How many of you have had (or seen) a stud break, or wheel fall off? And what percent of those studs have been with lug-centric wheels on them? And what percent of those studs have been proven broke because of the wheels. On top of that can you be sure that all the nuts were torqued properly, and in the right pattern?

As long as you do it right and have the right equipment, they are exactly the same as having hub-centric wheels.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts