Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are thinking of getting a tandem bike, so I went and rented one so we could try it out. The problem was that it needed to make it to the house. With no tandem bike rack handy, I did the next best thing and mounted it to my exclusive Old Army ThulYakmia interior bike rack. And guess what? It fits. The limit seems to be about 72" wheelbase with 26" tires on the bike. Go to 700C tires and it might be an inch or so less.

·
on line
400 Posts
very interesting looks like its limited to your and your wife

·
on line
400 Posts
Old Army said:
lostboy said:
I take it your wife is going to sit behind you?
That's the down side. I call it riding Saudi style.

-Old Army
hey but look at the bright side you and your wife can spend some quality time together

·
on line
564 Posts
Dude...I hope my wife doesn't see that! She wants me to get us a tandem, but I keep saying "Honey, it won't fit!" So, if she found out that a tandem would fit, I'd have to buy a tandem BEFORE I could even think about shrock stuff, tires, lights....

Rob

·
on line
564 Posts
Spicoli said:
Yakima makes a killer rake for Tandems. It swings down and everything to make it easier to get the bike up there. They are pretty expensive, but if you're going get a tandem and lug it around from time to time, it is well worth it.

Edit:
Here it is:
Link: http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=15
Wow...that thing is expensive. I've seen them mounted on regular hitch racks, with the wheels removed.

Rob

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spicoli said:
Yakima makes a killer rake for Tandems. It swings down and everything to make it easier to get the bike up there. They are pretty expensive, but if you're going get a tandem and lug it around from time to time, it is well worth it.
Yep I've seen it. We have to decide whether we get the bike first. My wife is a bit wishy washy on the subject, even though it was her idea to start with.

We've ridden this rented thing twice and its utter cheapness has made itself apparent (its a bottom rung KHS), but she seems to like it. She doesn't like the seat (easily fixed) and she hates riding on the nearby crowded bike paths much less the streets (can be fixed with a bike rack).

Lastly she doesn't want to spend a ton of money on it (agreed, but a decent tandem starts at $1600). So I am going to get a Cannondale Street Tandem. Its a decent frame and priced right with average componentry that can be easily upgraded if the need arises.

We'll see.

-Old Army

·
on line
6 Posts
First off, congrats on not killing yourself with that monster.

RockyMounts does a respectable tandem mount, as well.

(Check out Co-Motion Cycles tandems as well; they're a bit pricey, but they know their stuff.)

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mcampana said:
I want to see a photo of you two riding that thing.

I have another option......................buy TWO regular bikes?
We actually only need one additional bike. But I've tried the two bike formation riding with her and she has nearly killed my trying to stay withing speaking distance while riding her bike and sightseeing all at the same time.

This way she only has to pedal and only if she really wants to.

Besides, I would want to buy myself another mountain bike and let her have mine. But that would be more expensive than the tandem. :icon_smile:

-Old Army

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Bikes are as addictive as modding the X. We currently have 7 in our garage: Four are mine two the wife's and one frame I have to deliver to a store today (I rep for LOOK Cycles)

I think a tandem could lead to a divorce in my family :geek: NO, I WANT TO BE IN FRONT!!! :blackeye:

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much of an issue about who rides in front. She simply barks commands from the stoker position...
"slow down"
"turn right"

And my personal favorite:
Her: "AHHHHHHHH!!!!"
Me: "What is it?! A car? A cliff?" while trying to figure out which direction imminent death is coming from.
Her: "No its a dead bird over there in that driveway."
Me; "oh."

She does that to my while I'm driving too. :icon_smile:

-Old Army

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Old Army said:
Not much of an issue about who rides in front. She simply barks commands from the stoker position...
"slow down"
"turn right"

And my personal favorite:
Her: "AHHHHHHHH!!!!"
Me: "What is it?! A car? A cliff?" while trying to figure out which direction imminent death is coming from.
Her: "No its a dead bird over there in that driveway."
Me; "oh."

She does that to my while I'm driving too. :icon_smile:

-Old Army
I think that stuff is taught to women when we were all in grade school and separated for sex ed class. My wife does the same thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts