Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used one of these ? I stumbled across a similar one at Sears the other day and was thinking it would be a pretty useful lightweight addition to the recovery gear. They run about $30 at amazon.... but if they're crap, I'll steer clear.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have quite a few Fiskar products (loppers, pruners, etc). They are all quality made. I would have to actually hold the Ax though before buying. Stop by Home Depot, they sell Fiskar and might have one.

·
on line
807 Posts
I have that same one and I love it. Fiskars makes great products. If you are used to a heavy wooden axe this will be a bit different as it is sooo lightweight, but it works great.

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! The only axes I've ever used had wooden handles, but their use has been so seldom, I'd hardly say I'm "used to it". I'll give this one a shot.

mcampana said:
yeah I was eyeing that too.. I like the idea, but as you mentioned in your max ax/ebay post, I'm not crazy about the handle either.

·
on line
294 Posts
yeah, the fiskars one is sweet. i sell 'em at lowe's too, altho the price is about the same. crazy lightweight, great for the truck.

·
on line
809 Posts
I have the estwing camper axe and it works quite well. Nice sharp and safe with the sheath.

The axe, a short handled shovel, 4 way lug wrench, some rope, and come-a-long all fit nicely in the rear underfloor storage area.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
pretty sure the Fiskars and the Gerber are the same thing.
Affirmative.
The handles are ballistic nylon w/ a kevlar slip or some chit like that.. You can drive your truck over it and it won't crack. Tough as nails, and the Gerber axes may be cheaper too, look around. I have the hatchet in my recovery gear, and a camp axe for when I hit the sundress sales at the mall I like to strap to the roof. Looks good.

·
on line
106 Posts
I have the fiskars hatchet i got back in 04' before hurricane #1 hit here. And, I used it to cut some tree branches and stuff as it worked great for me.I also have the highlift package stuff in the bag but havent used it yet.

·
on line
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stopped by Lowes on the way home and it seemed they had every Fiskars tool except the axe, so I ordered it from amazon along with a 3D LED maglite I've been meaning to pick up.

Taking this off on a tangent...
How do you guys usually secure your axes? Anyone mounting it with Xtowers on the factory rack? Anybody keep it inside (if so, what do you use to secure it?)

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Hell MC, if I carried my AX under my rear seat, along with my HiLift jack, my Winchester '94 and my PLAYBOY magazines, I'd HAVE to give up something ???

mcampana said:
Put it under your back seat when going on a trail ride. I dont think ya need it in there 24 7.

Personally, i wave mine out the window so dbax knows where im at.
-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts