Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
First, I know this topic has been hashed and posted a bazzilion times... I'm Sorry! But I am looking for specific advice that I might be better off looking this way... searching forums becomes dizzying...

I have a 2012 Pro 4x with about 50K. White, avalanche that came with Rock Sliders (level II I believe they are called).

My scenario = I have convinced my wife, we should try the X with a small cargo trailer instead of our Minivan for our next trip to the mountains.... :)

Our Trip? A month-long stay in the Gunnison/Crested Butte area, repeating yearly. Plus other odd and ends in the northland of Minnesota/Wisconsin (mostly BWCA and Superior Nat'l Forest)

My Question: I am looking at a modest 2" lift, maybe wheel spacer, a skid plate two, Fender/Bumper upgrade.
Is any of this going to functionally help cruising up the roads in/around CB? Part of it is me going all-in on a vehicle I was thinking of selling... and committing to.
I have driven it stock up to the Crystal Mill out of Marble, there was no issues aside from one or two underbelly bumps that are a bit nerve racking...
With our minivan, we are unable to access even the most trivial trailheads for biking and hiking - having this vehicle would open up our access quite a bit especially for the 3 kids... oh - I forgot to mention we will make that trip as a family of 5 + a dog ;-) hence the cargo trailer need.

Ok, I look forward to replies, especially about high speed driving across i80/70 from MN to CO with the mods, product suggestions and any links would be awesome!! I have a local body shop willing to put on whatever I order so I'm hoping to keep cost down and functional... and a little fun for looks...

Thanks!!!!
Andrew

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have no comment right now cuz I'm about to go have lunch but can we get a side view of the truck and closer look of the rims? That's one fine simple lookin' rig ya got there :p

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a stock 11 p4x with sliders and a rear diff cover. I have a few isolated dents in the skid plates, but had no issues with crystal mill. I've gone up much worse in CO (and elsewhere) without issue as well

anything you do to lift the vehicle will make it less pleasant on I80 in 40mph crosswinds.....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
it sounds like some of those mods may not be necessary to get to where you want to go. my concerns would be interior space, and weight capacity. the xterra is a medium to small sized suv. putting 5 people and a dog inside is pretty much going to take up all the usable interior space, and still feel pretty cramped. how often do you drive around your town with a full load of kiddo's + dog? i think youll quickly realize that is not going to be fun on a long road trip.

that said a small travel trailer could help alleviate that issue, but with the weight of the people + trailer, your likely going to want to add some weight capacity to the rear suspension.

hope your trips goes well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no comment right now cuz I'm about to go have lunch but can we get a side view of the truck and closer look of the rims? That's one fine simple lookin' rig ya got there :p
I've got a sandblasting buddy that could probably spruce up the sliders for me

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ok, I look forward to replies, especially about high speed driving across i80/70 from MN to CO with the mods, product suggestions and any links would be awesome!! I have a local body shop willing to put on whatever I order so I'm hoping to keep cost down and functional... and a little fun for looks...
OK... in an Xterra there is no suvch thing as "a high speed run". The sweet spot is right around 70mph for the best fuel mileage on the highway. Now, as for mods, if you look at my build you will see that I added a 1" spacer up front to the coils (actual thickness of the spacer is 1/2") and I had an extra leaf installed when I had the rear springs re-arched. Then I put on a set of adjustable shackles. I went to Crystal Mill totally stock before doing any mods and didn't have any problems at all. Now with a bit more lift, about 2 inches, I have no problems with many of the trails I run and on the highway I still get about 20+mpg.

Final thought.... save your money until you actually figure out what you need, probably nothing, and then buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I've been driving it for 5 years and thought it'd be fun to add some "spruce", BUT - if it isn't somewhat functional and a total waste of money I can manage to pass. This is coming from a guy who spends A LOT of money on very small single digit gram savings for really cool carbon parts for his mountain bike :)

I have certainly never gotten 20+ MPG on the hwy and certainly don't expect to... I'll have a huge yakima cargo box on top too. The dog? she's going on 15 so if she's around for next years 1 month stay she gets the whole back to herself with a big ole cushy memory foam dog bed. She's earned it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have certainly never gotten 20+ MPG on the hwy and certainly don't expect to... I'll have a huge yakima cargo box on top too.
You have a P4 and I have an S.... different gearing, but still the sweet spot is right around 2000-2300 rpm.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
If you’re not selling and want something like a 2” rear lift to avoid bottoming out, like I did, go for it.
Read a lot (aka measure twice) and buy once.

I hesitated with a rear lift mostly because of 6” tall rack on top that I needed, but then got a drop in rack and got 1” lift from Old Man Emu leaf springs, but they were too stiff for me and 2” adjustable shackles softened it up.

i like the lift, don’t think about bottoming out anymore...115k on Pro 4X was when I did that...130k now

·
Registered
641 Posts
one thing i did do was add the timbren bumpstops........keeps the back from bottoming like it used to and rides very well with a full load now

·
Registered
433 Posts
Interesting...What is this process? And I assume it just rejuvenates the springs?
It’s pretty much exactly as you would imagine. They bend the springs back using a fancy hydraulic press. Spring shops were once pretty common but are now largely going the ways of the dodo bird. Large truck repair facilities are likely the only places that would offer this kind of service now (I’m hypothesizing here).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it sounds like some of those mods may not be necessary to get to where you want to go. my concerns would be interior space, and weight capacity. the xterra is a medium to small sized suv. putting 5 people and a dog inside is pretty much going to take up all the usable interior space, and still feel pretty cramped. how often do you drive around your town with a full load of kiddo's + dog? i think youll quickly realize that is not going to be fun on a long road trip.

that said a small travel trailer could help alleviate that issue, but with the weight of the people + trailer, your likely going to want to add some weight capacity to the rear suspension.

hope your trips goes well!
Thanks for the thoughts, five is pretty small for us as of now - my three kids come in a a whopping combined weight of about 95 lbs. at the moment :)
A lot of this is about how I might make the vehicle more of a fun toy as I've commited to sticking with it. We were going to sell and look for a wrangler 4 door but it doesn't make sense to go back to car payments.
I also want to impress my little kids with a sweet rig!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 1.5" lift and 33" tires is perfect for daily highway/city and occasional mountain use!
However, my roommate has a fully stock 06 with just 33" tires and he does the same trails as me without issue.
So do I need the lift? Obviously not. It was really just to fit the tires better :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love CB and Gunnison. Are you camping at Lake Irwin? There's good free camping at Oh be Joyful too.

In Gunnison make sure you check our Hartman Rocks for some camping and wheeling.

I'm also from MN and really miss the mountains.

Oh, good luck with any mods you choose to do too ;) !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love CB and Gunnison. Are you camping at Lake Irwin? There's good free camping at Oh be Joyful too.

In Gunnison make sure you check our Hartman Rocks for some camping and wheeling.

I'm also from MN and really miss the mountains.

Oh, good luck with any mods you choose to do too ;) !
back in the pre-kid day we used to camp wherever (for free!) but now we actually have a house rental (disclaimer, we save for, we have a crazy cheap deal and split with another family... not living on the big bucks! We're teachers....)
Anyway - the big thing is that our honda minivan can barely clear anything! so going up any of the jeep roads becomes impossible and unfortunately a lot of the mtn biking (like cement creek) has to be done via bike full loop.. IF, we had the X we could just drive up the vertical and let the kids rip down :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
back in the pre-kid day we used to camp wherever (for free!) but now we actually have a house rental (disclaimer, we save for, we have a crazy cheap deal and split with another family... not living on the big bucks! We're teachers....)
Anyway - the big thing is that our honda minivan can barely clear anything! so going up any of the jeep roads becomes impossible and unfortunately a lot of the mtn biking (like cement creek) has to be done via bike full loop.. IF, we had the X we could just drive up the vertical and let the kids rip down :)
And I fully understand the stock X can handle 99% of that - I kind of want to have a little fun with it.... w/o killing highway/mileage performance or making anything more unsafe for the family.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My 1.5" lift and 33" tires is perfect for daily highway/city and occasional mountain use!
However, my roommate has a fully stock 06 with just 33" tires and he does the same trails as me without issue.
So do I need the lift? Obviously not. It was really just to fit the tires better :p
one day there will be that one rock or break over that is 1 inch too high for his rig and not yours!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts