Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I posted this here because I'm doing exterior and suspension mods, so multiple posts in those forums seemed redundant. Here we go (i think this will be a bit long...)

First, my other post starts the story ( http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2561 ) so I'll continue here...

These are the pics to go with the story:

Those were the mounts - nice and clean - Thanks to Shrockworks. 30 minutes for both sides.

Finished product looks like this:

Then it was on to the bump stops. Timbren in the rear before the AC Shackles:

Then after the shackles... I don't think I'll shim them down unless I don't like the ride.

And the Energy Suspension poly bumps on the front:

Then the AC Shackle kit:

Then the AC Rear Diff Armor:

Then the breather mod (Bioman style :alien: ) with the fish tank filter...

but notice that I got the tubing to run INSIDE the frame all the way to the back - best protection there is I think...

And then I took the flaps off... I agree with the masses - It's a much cleaner look.

And now I would like to add a bit of my own... I was psyching myself up for the shackle job. After reading Dan G's post from 2004 when he got stymied by the shackles - I thought "Can I really do this by myself?" So I though it out, and I studied the manual, yes RTFM... I know, I know. BUT what I mean is that this site is the *bleepin* manual. If you can't find it here - or linked here, then it ain't been done. Just look at this... I took USMC-X's idea and got my come-along out, got the big pry bar, took someone else's idea (sorry I forget who you are) about jacking the axle using the pumpkin...got the X's jack out to lower the springs, set out my other tools, and went to work...

I mean, I was ready. So to my surprise - it took 30 minutes to do both. Holy cow. 30 minutes. Let me say it again :bom: 30 minutes! :bom:

Also, I came up with a way to lever the springs down to the new shackle mount point: Just apply downward pressure and viola - slide the bolt in...

That's just a 3' pry bar and an old C-Clamp... :cheers:

Let me say it for EVERYONE lurking in the shadows like I was.

PREPARATION = SUCCESS - There is no substitute.

All of this work took me about 10 hours. I'm NOT a mechanic, but I can do things other people cannot. I am mechanically inclined - others are not - and I think we all understand that and will support you either way. I found these mods easy and extremely gratifying both in the substance of the labor (of love!) and change in performance. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this post helps whether you choose to do the mods yourself, or have someone do them - either way you and your X will benefit.

Mike

·
on line
551 Posts
Great Job! :cheers:
Come spring I'll be needing to see some of those pics again
Where did you get the rear diff armor?

·
on line
119 Posts
Glad to see that AC shipped you the second version of the diff skid. The original version that both Rinky and I received from them, hit the gas tank.

The front bump stops - are they the famous autozone ones ?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well that was cool to look at! I like your optional way to pull the spring down. Send me a PM with the link to that picture so I can show your way in the Timbren Bump stops thread so people who may not have a bottle jack have an additional way to do it. Cool!

MC

·
on line
641 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Send me a PM with the link to that picture so I can show your way in the Timbren Bump stops thread
No need to wait for a PM.
Using Firefox, right-click on the image, and use "Copy Image Location".
Or, use the "Quote" button, and you'll get the link in the quoted text.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Nice job~ I know that without the help of MC and a few other members my X would still be stock. The funny thing is that with the exception of my lift our X's are twins!

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to be of help!

MagicRat - That's the newer version of the rear diff armor from AC. I waited to order all of this stuff from AC until the rear armor was right. I've been monitoring a bunch of threads here for almost 6 months - just biding my time until it was the right time...

Scrabo - I didn't get my front stops from Autozone, but I think so. They are from Energy Suspension - I can get you the part# if needed. They took about 10 minutes to remove and isntall both sides. Really easy and I'm tickled to death how it cures the front-end roll/dive on hard turns. I haven't been off the pavement yet, but I might end up trimming a layer or two off of them to improve vertical travel.

USMC - PM on the way... glad to help in any way. That is what it's all about right?

B Slater - Excellent - great minds think a like? For now they might be twins but my plan is to add the rear AAL, stiffer front springs and the Shrock front bumper next year. I dont' need it to be much higher, just more durable!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Great job man.. you did go all the way with the mods.

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really...

Not all the way. I've still got a bunch more to do. But I have to wait on the coffers to fill again. $$$

Planning on bumpers/winch/lights/etc...

And maybe even a CarPC - that's my forte, and I've been watching another forum for that project. :hiding:

·
on line
189 Posts
:cheers:

Great job and awesome pics and write up..

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Can't help thinking that if Jim added a gusset in Red below to the sliders, it would make them way less likely to bend upwards. I've seen a few cases now of Shrock sliders on 1st Gen X's that have been pushed up into the area they are supposed to protect. I think I might have to pay a local fab shop to add that for me on mine.

Looks good dude.

·
on line
1,161 Posts
RiNkY said:
Can't help thinking that if Jim added a gusset in Red below to the sliders, it would make them way less likely to bend upwards. I've seen a few cases now of Shrock sliders on 1st Gen X's that have been pushed up into the area they are supposed to protect. I think I might have to pay a local fab shop to add that for me on mine.

Looks good dude.

i agree with rinky, good thinking :cheers:

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Wow, is that Shrock???

---------edit----------
Ah, now I see the ends are angled. So who's are those?

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to agree that the added bit would be good. I might have to fab that myself on the next project weekend. I didn't even think about it when I saw them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts