Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've only had our X for a few months and haven't really made it out of town yet. Before the trip our X had just clicked over 5500 kms. We decided to drive from Calgary to Vancouver (almost exactly 1000 kms) to see the families for Xmas.

The drive down went well and the truck performed excellent. The road was ice and snow covered most of the way and in some spots was extremely sketchy and slippery. The anti-lock and VDC got a bit of a workout.

Have to say that I am warming up to the VDC more than I thought I would. Still find it horribly annoying at slow speeds but at highway speeds in slippery conditions it is a nice safety net to stop slides and wiggles getting out of control.

We saw 6 vehicles in the ditch along the way as testament to just how slippery the conditions were. Got a nice pic of a pickup upside down in the ditch and we also saw an 18 wheeler in the ditch.

In one 15 minute stretch we took at least three nice windshield dings from boulders being thrown up by the car in front. The next day one of those dings turned into an 8" crack in the windshield which is annoying. The weather has been so crap down here (constant rain) that I haven't had a chance to check out the front of the truck to see if there is any paint damage or other dings.

The X is excellent to drive for long distances and the seats are much more comfortable than our old Dakota. I love the power of the X compared to our old truck as well. Where the Dakota would struggle up big hills the X powers up and around slower traffic. Even with my lead foot that we averaged 18.4 mpg.

In 8 days we head home and will clock up another 1000 km day so hopefully we can avoid the windshield dings on that trip.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
The seats in the X were designed pretty well ive done the NJ to FL trip a couple times which is about 21 hours straight through and no complaints. The vdc I agree is nice about 20 mph but it gets annoying when your trying to get unstuck offroad. And safe travels getting back home.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just drove mine from Canton Ohio back to Tampa Fl. It did real well and I averaged 18-20 mpg. I noticed the best mph at 80mph.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I just drove mine from Canton Ohio back to Tampa Fl. It did real well and I averaged 18-20 mpg. I noticed the best mph at 80mph.
Really? I notice better around 90mph myself. I think that's where the Xterra's excellent aerodynamics shine.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Extensive testing has shown that 92mph is the optimum speed for aerodynamics. Especially if you run Mud terrains and are lifted.
I can't argue with that logic or reason. But I would add that additional armor does help to lower the center of gravity and create better down forces. Also improving mpgs.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Snow? Ice? What are these things you speak of? :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Suputin,

I'm glad your journey was a safe one! Anytime during your travels did you engage your 4Hi?
I'm asking because my two sons and I are heading up to Tadoussac next weekend and it's about 420Km north east of Montreal, however, the weather has been pretty wicked here of late.
The road up to Tadoussac past Quebec city is very hilly and winding, so just wanted your input as to how you drove your truck.
Sorry to hear about your windshield. Does your insurance cover road hazards such as this, without charging you an astronomical deductible?

Happy and safe Holidays

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the wife and I are planning a trip to Comox in the new year and are still deciding if we are going to take the Coq or the southern route

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snow? Ice? What are these things you speak of? :)
Its Canada .... these things happen sometimes. Not my pic but this is what the majority of our drive looked like.

There was one section where the temperature was just right and the car tires burnished the icy road to an incredibly slick condition. Even crawling along at a walking pace it was near impossible to stop. We saw three vehicles in the ditch within a couple of kilometers in that area.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hey suputin, did you take the coquihalla highway or the southern route ?
Coquihalla. That section was actually very good except when we hit dense fog coming down into Hope.

Hi Suputin,

I'm glad your journey was a safe one! Anytime during your travels did you engage your 4Hi?
I'm asking because my two sons and I are heading up to Tadoussac next weekend and it's about 420Km north east of Montreal, however, the weather has been pretty wicked here of late.
The road up to Tadoussac past Quebec city is very hilly and winding, so just wanted your input as to how you drove your truck.
Sorry to hear about your windshield. Does your insurance cover road hazards such as this, without charging you an astronomical deductible?
The vast majority of the time we ran in 2WD as there was no need for 4WD. It was only when the road got really slippery and the back end was all over the place anytime I touched the gas that I went to 4WD. It was pretty interesting as we were in 5th gear running at about 90km/hr and anytime I got on the gas the back end would spin.

Even with the traction control and VDC operating the back end can get pretty squirrelly on a really slippery surface which gets kind of annoying after a bit.

I was a bit surprised by just how much traction there was in 2WD on snow and ice. I do not ***** foot around when driving. We averaged 93 km/hr on the entire trip.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Its Canada .... these things happen sometimes. Not my pic but this is what the majority of our drive looked like.

There was one section where the temperature was just right and the car tires burnished the icy road to an incredibly slick condition. Even crawling along at a walking pace it was near impossible to stop. We saw three vehicles in the ditch within a couple of kilometers in that area.
I think I'm going to leave that kind of weather to you. I kinda enjoy being able to swim in my pool - heated to a nice warm 78 degrees - on Christmas Day... :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
the wife and I are planning a trip to Comox in the new year and are still deciding if we are going to take the Coq or the southern route
Take the Coq. My general rule is leave Kelowna (or mainland) at around 9:30 AM and be at the other side by 3:30 PM - which is PLENTY of time (barring miserable weather).

In my experience you usually manage to avoid the really dense fog on either end at those times, as well as the temperature change where the moisture turns icy and vice versa. Plus, you're maximizing daylight.

Grew up in this area and have been driving the Coq for almost 20 years now (god that makes me feel old).

Just take your sweet ass time. There's no rush, and you'll be fine. I can't tell you how many times I've driven that road in the winter and have been passed by a dumbass in a pickup / SUV doing 120 km/h only to see them in a ditch 20 minutes later.

Monitor the conditions too and if the weather sucks, just overnight in the Okanagan and wait for the roads to clear up. Patience goes a long way on that drive.

Also, this time of year it's required to carry chains in the vehicle OR have winter tires equipped. $500 fine otherwise.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are you still on factory tires? I just switched to Hankook RW11 i-Pike, studded, cause I'm in Northern BC (no other explanation needed here I guess ;-) People are used to cracked windshields here, you gotta replace it very often around here. Mine is due too..

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Speaking of vdc......during my first snowfall witb my X i was like "WTF....This thing sucks at donuts"...thennnnnn i turned off vdc and then i had fun
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I hardly ever take her out of 4 hi when the roads are bad.

I love the drive to van, all the different ways. You just gotta take your time .

Rock chips are unavoidable if you are following someone, I swear they use grating rocks as gravle in the mountains.

I got like 5 big chips last year in rogers pass alone. Man do I hate that **** I want a bulletproof windshield with peelable 3m

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts