Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is old news to some of you, but I hadn't seen this before. I happened to go to the Nissan Canada webpage for the Xterra, and it's mentioned on there.

Car and Driver, April 2006:
2006 Hummer H3 vs. 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD vs. 2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD vs. 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD - Comparison Tests

Fourth Place: Hummer H3
Third Place: Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD
Second Place: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
First Place: Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...f-road-4wd-vs-2007-toyota-fj-cruiser-4wd.html

"In this test, the Xterra prevailed because, no matter what we threw at it, it remained friendly, flexible, and practical."

·
Read Only
656 Posts
I read both the C&D and MT articles when I was truck shopping. Both reinforced my driving impressions. Hummer was not on my shopping list, but the 2 Jeeps and the FJ were. Wish 4Runner had been thrown into this mix. Nice to know that the press and the pro drivers viewed our trucks so favorably. But even if they didn't, who gives a sheet? After all, my opinion is all that counts when I'm buying.

·
on line
232 Posts
What's funny are all the flames on the X on the FJ board from the MT article. We were seriously looking at the FJ but couldn't pull the trigger because it just didn't feel right. The X felt like we were home again. Besides, all of those web wheelers are hung up on magazine numbers anyway. I guarantee that I could take a stock X and out drive 9 out of 10 of those guys offroad in their stock FJs. Set up a course with off camber muck on a tight trail here in the NW with trees hugging the sides of the trucks, and the FJ will be finishing WAY after the X because you can't see out the FJ! You would need 2 spotters for the damn thing! That being said, I still like the FJ, just not most of the monkeys comments behind the wheel.

Not that I'm hung up on numbers, but does anyone know what the RTI is on the X with the sways detached?

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mosi said:
That being said, I still like the FJ
When I was shopping, it took less than 1 minute to eliminate the FJ (same for others as well, such as the Hummer) because that's how long it took for the salesperson to show me that the rear seats didn't fold flat.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
dpatton said:
Mosi said:
When I was shopping, it took less than 1 minute to eliminate the FJ (same for others as well, such as the Hummer) because that's how long it took for the salesperson to show me that the rear seats didn't fold flat.
I sat in it and saw the blind spots and it was over for me.

·
on line
82 Posts
I test drove the FJ and everything in it sat wrong to me. The visibility out the front, the rear blindspots are terrible, the seats were also a little too close to the floor for my taste. On the road it was not pleasant to drive and being that I only have one vehicle...that's a pretty big deal breaker. If it was a second car, I could see it being fun. I'd still rather have the X.

That being said, I do like that the seats in it are waterproof. Maybe I should buy some Scotchguard and just spray down the seats in the X though.

·
on line
82 Posts
I don't think Scotch guard makes them repel water, but makes them stain resistant. There is probably something you can do to make them repel water. I just read in another post a couple days ago that someone sprayed their seats with scotchguard and thought it was a good idea.

I would be more worried about the stains than the water personally.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
dpatton said:
Mosi said:
Bigtime X 2 on the fold flat seats! In this day and age what were they thinking? This is my 1st import. But the fold flat seat was what pulled me to it, plus the fuel mileage. And it looks cool. You just can't beat an X for the money! Plus I like power. MC

·
on line
236 Posts
i agree, for the price you cant beat the X, I just wish we had more aftermarket support. the FJC already has a crawler out for it, and buch of other cool stuff that we could get.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
bigwilly11189 said:
Anyone Scotchguard their seats??......

Do you just have to spray somehting on them?
I did, but for stains, not water.

And yes, it comes in a spray-can.

·
on line
204 Posts
I sprayed my entire interior with Scotch Gaurd. It comes in an aresol can and you can pick it up at almost any department store Target, Kmart, Walmart, Meijers, etc... I applied a good cover to my carpet and seats, and if I remember correctly, it took about two and a half cans. It does leave a strong smell in the X for a couple of days, and you want to make sure you give everything time to dry before hopping in.

·
on line
551 Posts
The Xterra was the last vehicle we considered as a replacement for our Dak. In fact I didn't even consider it until I was looking on data on the FJ and read a head to head comparison on Edmunds(?). Stacked up real good with the FJ and after trying out the FJ and it's pitfalls (rear access, blind spots) it was quickly eleminated and off to the Nissan dealer. One drive and it was all over but the signing.
BTW we're having a major blizzard today and I swear I've seen more X's on the road than at any other time. Stock too. Must be garaged till needed.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bigwilly11189 said:
Anyone Scotchguard their seats?
Maybe the moderators could move these postings into a new thread, both so it doesn't hijack this thread, and so the topic of treating the seats is easier to find?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts