Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck had a grand total of 1600 kms on it when I took it off roading today.

Went with a couple of friends who do this a lot more than I do. There was a Jeep and an original Brit military long wheelbase, right hand drive land rover in the group. Before we even hit the dirt the trash talk started with them taking bets the X wouldn't make it cause it is a citified stock truck. I should have taken that bet. :violent1:

A few kilometers in we found a pretty deep mud hole. While I am fairly certain the stock X would have gone through this I really didn't need to fill my cab up with water seeing as the thing still has that new car smell.

In another mud hole the rover got stuck and had to be towed out. It was pretty amusing to see the exhaust burbling away under water.

We did a couple of reasonably deep river crossings which were slight pucker factor for me. I hit one deep puddle a bit too fast and a wave came over the top of the hood and sloshed halfway up the windshield. That one was scary cause I had both front windows open at the time.

But the X went through everything I asked it to and it did it in complete comfort. I had the air-con running while bluetoothing music off my iPhone. :iconbiggrin: The others were choking on dust in their open top trucks.

I even managed some trail kisses .... which I understand are required in order to call oneself a true offroader. I half tore off one of the front splash guards and managed to nearly crush the trailer hitch electrical hookup.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Nice. Congrats on getting out there. As you have learned, the mudflaps quickly break off if you dont remove them, and the trailer plug mount tab gets quickly bent and broken too. Many of us remount the harness connecter in the bumper itself. Sweet old LR too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks like a good time! Hopefully you got around to the rear diff breather extension with all the water crossings. Couldn't tell from the pics but if you still have your mudflaps and side steps on I would remove them they will eventually break and could cause other damage to your X.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't even think of the rear diff breather. Guess I will need to check that.

Are the mud flap rivets plastic or metal?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Nice pictures, glad to see you getting out and using it.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't give a second thought to skipping pretty much every one of those big mud holes that you didn't have to go through to reach your destination. Mudding for the sake of mudding is grossly overrated. 30 seconds of fun for a year of chasing gremlins around and trying to figure out what bearing is failing here or what electrical problem is there. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Washed the X and discovered a nice dent and big scrape behind the front mud flap. FAAACK! :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Washed the X and discovered a nice dent and big scrape behind the front mud flap. FAAACK! :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Well the first one is over with now:cheers: Everything after the first one is easier. Pretty soon you will be going down tight trails getting that WEEEERRRRKKKK (that's the noise sagebrush makes here in NV) sound from the brush and ya won't even batt an eye. Wear those scars proud man:salute:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the first one is over with now:cheers: Everything after the first one is easier. Pretty soon you will be going down tight trails getting that WEEEERRRRKKKK (that's the noise sagebrush makes here in NV) sound from the brush and ya won't even batt an eye. Wear those scars proud man:salute:
Yeah, probably not ... for a while anyway. Wife ain't too happy about a damaged truck that we have only made two payments on so far. :violent1:

Made an appointment to have the dent fixed and its gonna run about $230 to get it straightened. :angry5:

Oh well, these are learning experiences. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yayyyyy, its all fixed. The boys down at Dent Clinic did a great job removing the dent and they even polished the paint to get rid of the majority of the scratches. Just have to fix up the mud flap and reinstall it and she will be nearly as good as new.

Never did take any pics of the damage. Was too depressing a thought to bother immortalizing it in a picture.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, probably not ... for a while anyway. Wife ain't too happy about a damaged truck that we have only made two payments on so far. :violent1:

Made an appointment to have the dent fixed and its gonna run about $230 to get it straightened. :angry5:

Oh well, these are learning experiences. :D
just remove the mud flaps. that's what i did and it makes a big difference on clearance.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yayyyyy, its all fixed. The boys down at Dent Clinic did a great job removing the dent and they even polished the paint to get rid of the majority of the scratches. Just have to fix up the mud flap and reinstall it and she will be nearly as good as new.

Never did take any pics of the damage. Was too depressing a thought to bother immortalizing it in a picture.
and i forgot to mention: if you want to do more off roading, you may want to remove OR replace the step rails. i know they're cool and all but if you dent those, they are so flimsy that they sometimes dent into people's doors and put a big dent in there. just fyi
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
216 Posts
One of the first things I did to my X was remove the step rails and mud flaps. It's actually easier to get in and out without the rails and you don't have to worry about damage on the trails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts