Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this X a couple months ago and am ready to start modding it. The only thing I've done so far is take off the mudflaps. I want my mods to advantage me towards beginner to moderate off-roading, but no large rock crawling or anything that extreme.

I have ~ $200 to $250 (am a student) to spend. I know its not much but you've gotta start somewhere. What should I buy first?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any company recommendations?

·
Registered
648 Posts
floor mats.......they are worth the money

I have husky, many people like weathertech. one way or another do the front and rear foot areas

·
on line
2,243 Posts
tow strap, fuel.
Go drive, determine what your problem areas are and address those.
Just tacking stuff on is good for looking like a poser to the locals. What is a hot setup in one terrain isn't necessary what will work somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would save up money and go off road stock a few times. $250 bucks isn't really enough to make any decent off road improvement. You could buy a compressor, tow strap, and a shovel as a little bit of initial recovery gear.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would save up money and go off road stock a few times. $250 bucks isn't really enough to make any decent off road improvement. You could buy a compressor, tow strap, and a shovel as a little bit of initial recovery gear.
^^THIS

Compressor, tire deflater, tow strap, shovel, tire plug kit...

Get rid of the stock side bars before you bend them to h3ll.

Save up for a 2" lift, 33" tires, full skids, sliders and bumpers lastly.

I wheeled mine bone stock for about 3 months. After grinding the side bars to a pulp, WITH 33" tires and listening to the undercarriage grind on big rocks, I chose the lift first. Just FYI

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome! The best recommendation may be to RUN! A boat is a hole in the water in which you pour money. Wheeling your X turns it into a metal box on wheels into which you shovel money!

Help us help you, what model X and where are you located. I ask because if you don't have a Pro-4X or Off-Road model, with your budget you might want to start with buying someones take off OEM skids. I think a number of us have them kicking around that don't want to ship them and would let them go cheap. When your ready to go with real skids you can resell them. Also depending on your model, you may be running 31" or 32" dia tires. Out of your budget range but think about working towards 33" dia aggressive ATs or mud tires if appropriate (muddy trails and not a lot of road travel).

Sliders are obviously out of your budget but they really do provide important protection for you pinch joints. In your budget is a heavy fabricated diff cover. This is important because your diff is the low spot and as you drag it over rocks it's not uncommon to catch the edge of the stamped OEM cover and peel it back enough to drain your diff. & it doesn't like running dry. Lights, heavy rubber floor mats, rear recovery points along with the list of accessories previously listed will eat up you cash flow for a while. As far as tow strap, that probably should read snatch strap. The difference being the snatch strap stretches to allow a "dynamic" start. & no metal hook ends they may come flying back at you or your buddy pulling you out.

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lots of good stuff, would agree with the people who told you to wheel stock first so you understand what each modification does to help you in your new hobby.

The one thing no one mentioned is a CB radio set-up. You can get that done for under $150 and that would be the only mod I would suggest to do before your first outing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
also i would do the fog light bypass, it'll run you like 20 bucks in wire/relay etc. this will allow you to turn on all of your lights, (fogs/high/offroad) or just your fogs (useful in campgrounds to not cast light into others campsites should you be arriving late at night

·
Registered
385 Posts
hgdude it must be tough to be you. When I read down to the point I thought I could be helpful I did go back up and reread the message to see which model he had. And it's not in the message. Apparently I didn't reread the tile, just the message. So if you have a problem with my missing it please feel free to never read any of my posts. There is an app for that.

Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts