Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a kid at Christmas, I am waiting for that E-mail from Jim, telling me my Sliders are on the way. Ordered mid Sept. and checking my mail every day. Anyone else out there waiting for a delivery? Do you find yourself doing other small mods while you wait? Is anticipation half the fun?

·
on line
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MC, I told Jim I wished I COULD order the bumpers at the same time.
All his products look awesome, and probably perform even better.
I just need seeds to plant the money tree I guess. lol.

·
on line
54 Posts
Ordered mine the first week of September. I got the skids I ordered after a couple of weeks...still waiting on the sliders. Does any one know if he waits until he has enough orders to build a batch of the sliders, or do they take that long to make?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
my sliders got to me in about 11 days... i ordered bare steel... seems like powdercoat is what really takes time.
Ordered my rear bumper(powdercoated) about 2weeks ago so now i play the waiting game... oh, but it's so worth it!!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
jwd270 said:
Ordered mine the first week of September. I got the skids I ordered after a couple of weeks...still waiting on the sliders. Does any one know if he waits until he has enough orders to build a batch of the sliders, or do they take that long to make?
I think it's TOP SECRET. But you know it would be smart to do them in batches to keep the cost down.

Someone pulled out in front of me, 1st thing ran through my head was swerve abruptly to miss this guy, over the curb through the front yard of the Mayor, over a statue, take out the lady pushing a baby buggy, and my skids should make it over all five of the kids on battery operated cars.
I'm NOT going to wait for another bumper!

You know I am kidding, but you get the Idea.
MC

·
on line
67 Posts
Thinking about it...

So after some extensive research, Jim's skids seem to be the best. Here's my problem though. My off-roading will be limited to fireroads and remote campsites, and snow-covered mountains in WV. So I'm not as brazen with the off-roading as some of you. The Shrocks look great in pics! I need some frame-mounted protection, that can double as a step of sorts. Are there options that I'm missing? I hate the OEM ones.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
SHROCK!
i use'em all the time for getting to stuff on the roof... and (since you're not doing any harcore wheelin) when you skid off that snow covered road onto some boulders they'll protect your rockers!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Shrock! I am not an extreme offroader but the shrocks have paid for themselves already. And yes as in other posts they work fine as steps.

·
on line
376 Posts
yea maybe one day I'll get me some........... i sure with they were cheaper.........
I many have to find an alternative

·
on line
1,884 Posts
XterraOverload said:
yea maybe one day I'll get me some........... i sure with they were cheaper.........
I many have to find an alternative
Remember you do get what you pay for. The OEM side steps cost as much as the shrocks (Approx and at the dealer) yet are really only eye candy and steps. True sliders (SHrock or others) not only look good and provide steps, they also save your rocker panels!

·
on line
641 Posts
Re: Thinking about it...

xterrapickles said:
So after some extensive research, Jim's skids seem to be the best. Here's my problem though. My off-roading will be limited to fireroads and remote campsites, and snow-covered mountains in WV. So I'm not as brazen with the off-roading as some of you. The Shrocks look great in pics! I need some frame-mounted protection, that can double as a step of sorts. Are there options that I'm missing? I hate the OEM ones.
Prior to getting my X in September, I had a 1992 Pathfinder(since 1992). I plan on getting Shrock sliders for my X, but all I had on the Pathfinder was a set of aftermarket running boards. They were installed before I picked up the new vehicle from the dealer. I don't use my truck for "off roading", but more like you do - getting to places that happen to be on gravel roads of various conditions.

A couple of times(once out 'on the road') between 1992 and 2006 I had to take off part of the running board to 'straighten things out' after hitting a rock, but I never bent them very badly. One advantage they have over steps or sliders is that they provide more protection to the rocker panels from rock chips.

Here are some photos of my Pathfinder 'in action' to show some examples of they type of terrain I'm referring to:
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=5745&pic=5
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=4189&pic=3
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=7111&pic=5
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=5744&pic=8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts