Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and new to modding the Xterra. I previous modded STi's and Focus RS's. But never a SUV, Truck etc. I have a few grand to sink into my X to start and figured I'd start with a lift and tires. My question(s) would be which tires do you recommend, make, model size etc? I already have the Rough Country 2.5 lift coming to my house. I originally wanted 35's but I don't know if that's possible with just the 2.5" and I'm hearing so many conflicting statements about fitment. So I decided to settle on 285/75r16's. But now I'm second guessing myself. I have seen a few on here with 305/70r16's. I must say they looked good. I'm a fan of the wide stance. I could just do the 285's with a 1.5 spacer. But of course I'm hear a lot of people saying they're bad. So basically I'm open to recommendation and advice! The tires I'm looking at are Goodyear Duratracs, Toyo Open Country AT3's & possibly Yokohama Geolandar's. I want something quality but aesthetics are a must as well. Please help me! I'm driving myself crazy with all the options out there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tires are personal preference. Everyone on here will tell you what they have is the best. Ko2, wildpeak are both highly suggested. You can make any tire fit. Just depends how much cutting you want to do. Dont research your RC lift. It is not well liked on here. No cutting for 285, melt mod depending on tire. 305 going to require trimming. Anything larger more cutting.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
427 Posts
Wheel spacers will also require cutting.

2.5" spacer lift will cause pretty bad cbc on street driving let alone off-road. You'll likely want spc upper control arms to get rid of the coil bucket contact.

I had a mazdaspeed 3 a while back. Absolutely loved modding that and the immediately noticeable difference mods made driving it. The X is a bit different. Most mods you do just make it slower on the street. You don't really notice their effect until off-road.

Do some research around Titan swaps. That may be something you will want to consider and if so, are better off not buying $500+ spc upper control arms for the Xterra. Maybe return the 2.5" spacers and go with 1.5" or even 2" for now to avoid needing the upper control arms.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey I also started out like you, I had a stanced G37 (work wheels, air lift, carbon fiber everywhere, etc) If you have an automatic 2005-2010 look up the SMOD issue and get the radiator replaced. As for wheels, if you have stock wheels with 33's then all you really need to do is the melt mod. If you use spacers then you might also need to trim some of the plastic from the front bumper where it might rub on full turns (at least it did with my -12 offset wheels) I was also going to start with rough country but ditched them for a real suspension lift (if you're gonna offroad i suggest something else) look up All Dogs Offroad, they have a lot of good items. I had BFG KO2's and they were great. My brother also has the Falken AT3W's and he;s liking them so far. But now I have 35's and I'm trying out the Yokohama Geolandars G003 MT but I haven't really driven them that much yet for a good review. With a Titan Swap and 35's I had to cut some of the front fender (rear portion) and my lift is 4" so with only 2.5 you will definitely need to cut more so I don't recommend them and you'll also need to re gear for a better ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Honestly, unless you fully Titan swapped then I’d stay away from 35s. If you must go that large then pull out the angle gri her as others have said. Also get ready to replace a lot of the suspension components as they just aren’t engineered to handle that much rolling weight. Finally, even if you have the highest gear ratios it’ll fee like a dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already have buyers remorse on the RC lift mainly cause after looking into it more I decided I might want to go higher. I'm not looking to break the bank and want a balance of everyday functionality but something that can still preform decent on the back roads. So basically from my understanding is. The 2.5" lift, while garbage will do be okay to get some larger tires on the X. 285/75r16's will be fine, possbily some slight rubbing but nothing the melt mod can't fix. 305/70r16's will also fit but I'll have to cut sections out of the fender lining? I'm totally fine doing that, just worry about it rubbing on the frame or something that could cause major damage. The 305/70r16's should also fair better than 35's in terms of drive-ability. Also not entirely sure how spacers negatively impact the turning on the X. Will it increase rubbing or does it decrease it?

I appreciate all the solid advice thus far, just want a final verdict before pulling the trigger tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
You will need higher gear ratio with 35s...
May feel like a dog if you are used to X “street performance”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts