Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the alignment redun today to get ready for my trip to ky next weekend, and they did their free "vehicle check" when it was there. They came back to tell me that my battery is"low" and showed me a graph/chart thing indicating so. Now i got my truck in may of 06, i dont think i should be needig a battery any time soon. I do have the winch hooked up to it, but its never on! I used it once to make sure it works and thats it. Any thoughts there? Think they are full of shit or what?

·
on line
896 Posts
I bet they "just happen" to have the battery you will need to get. Sounds like BS to me. I would take it to autozone, pepboys, etc.. and let them test it,plus it's free

·
on line
1,361 Posts
with every one else complaining about their battery, FS might be right. Start researching a battery you want now, bring jumper cables if you don't have them with you already.

Oh, hit autozone or someone else who does battery test for free for a second opinion.

edit: Beat me with the autozone comment.

·
on line
463 Posts
Take the graph to your local Nissan guys and say, " Wha's Sup ?"
I would guess that the charge could be low however, given the vehicle is 1 1/2 yesr old, there should be warranty ?
Jim B

·
on line
735 Posts
The batteries these came with aren't maint. free. you can pop the covers off and top up with distilled water. recharge and load test. Also you should do an electrolyte test on such a new battery before buying another one. I have heard a lot of stories about cheap oem batteries, but I'd charge and check first.

horn?? I'd recommend doing what I did and take a trip to the junkyard and get a pair of delco horns off of a camaro or caprice etc. Those sound proper.

·
on line
192 Posts
We had our hyundai 3 months and took it to jiffy lube to get the oil changed on it. They came back and told me that my battery needed to be changed immediately, and they dont understand how it even starts on such low voltage.

5 years later, it still works like a champ

·
on line
527 Posts
travis said:
We had our hyundai 3 months and took it to jiffy lube to get the oil changed on it. They came back and told me that my battery needed to be changed immediately, and they dont understand how it even starts on such low voltage.

5 years later, it still works like a champ
But its a hyundai I can jump that with a AA battery lol j/k

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i had my dad's chevy die in the parking lot of a shopping center once, walked next door to the Mr. Tire and told them i was dead in the parking lot and needed a new battery, they insisted on doing a diagnostic to check to see if that was really the problem, i didn't have much of a choice since i was dead in the parking lot and needed a new battery, well, 45 minutes later they decided to go outside and jump it, pull it into the bay, spend 30 more minutes looking under the hood, walk inside and tell me the battery is dead.....and then stared at waiting for me to tell them what to do......

long story short, they replaced the battery, didn't clean the terminals on the wires, truck died again 3 days later, i had it towed to my mechanic's shop, he took one look at it, laughed, cleaned the terminals and it's worked fine ever since......needless to say Mr. Tire paid for the new battery, the towing, and the bill from my mechanic

sometimes they try to do something small to make more money off you, but it ended up costing them in this case!!!

·
on line
135 Posts
The only true way to test a battery's efficiency is through a complete charge, discharge, recharge monitoring test cycle. That really can't happen during most of these kinds of maintenance checks as that process takes time. All they can really do is measure voltage and amp power of the state the battery is currently in. That dosen't mean the battery is bad. It just means it's not at its full capacity, which recharges when you drive your truck. The alternator is reponsible for charging the battery and if a vehicle sits for a while, the battery will naturally deplete - much like a laptop battery on a computer that has not been used if a few weeks.

Batteries need excercising to remain efficient, and the only way to do that is to use it fully and recharge it fully. So, if a battery is a little low, that does not also mean it's bad. It means it's being used. Keep in mind that electrical problems with batteries can also be that the alternator can't adequately recharge it, and that's why most shops want to do a full check - to rule out the alternator as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts