Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a thread titled My first quick and easy mods! in the Interior forum:
js479 said:
...I also got a fire extinguisher for the door cup holder...Here are some pictures.
I think they made this door cup holder specifically for this fire extinguisher!
I bought the same fire extinguisher, at Home Depot, and put it in the cup/bottle holder in the passenger side door. I turned it so that the guage and safety pin are protected:


By itself, this extinguisher is not sufficient for an SUV, especially when used off-road, but it's better than not having any fire extinguisher.

This "Kitchen / Garage Fire Extinguisher" is made by Kidde:
http://www.kidde.ca/utcfs/ws-463/Assets/466294 Datasheet.pdf

Kidde has another extinguisher, called an Auto Fire Extinguisher, but it has the same rating and specs as this extinguisher.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
291 Posts
dpatton said:
By itself, this extinguisher is not sufficient for an SUV, especially when used off-road, but it's better than not having any fire extinguisher.
Funny Story:
One day I had to go to work early. I got up, showered, ate breakfast, then strolled out the door to load up my X.
As I was loading up I heard a guy yelling. I looked over and noticed a guy on a motorcycle, he was pulled over and had his helmet off. I was saying something but I couldn't quite understand him. I assumed he wasn't talking to me and I proceded to put my bag in the X. I then looked back at the guy on the bike and he looked right at me and said "blah blah blah.....fire" (i couldn't hear him) and he pointed down the street. So i looked down the street and didn't see anything. I looked back at him and he screamed at me "THERE IS A CAR ON FIRE!" I looked again but this time took a few steps back to better see down the street.
Sure enough there was a car on fire. I grabbed that $10 fire extinguisher from the drivers side door and ran down the street. I put out the engine fire, turned off the car, and then called 911.
Point of the story, that $10 fire extinguisher saved a man's life. I feel plenty safe with it. I'm planning on buying another one for the passenger side as well.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
210 Posts
I've been through fire extinguisher training more than once and I'm always surprised how little you need to put out a fire if you know what you're doing.

Ask your local fire dept when is their next training. They are usually happy to train people.

You can save someone day even with a small 5BC extinguisher.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
178 Posts
I have the Kidde Auto Model mounted in the "Beer Cooler" under the floor in the back. I thought about mounting on the rear door or in the drink holders but if you get hit there, that is a hella mess to clean. Plus my buddy who is a cop siad that sometimes the FE will blow in hot temps so I hope that if my does blow, that the floor cover will contain a lot of the mess.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
The Extinguisher has always been an element in all vehicles I have owned. thanks god I have never had to use it
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
alpine7513 said:
I have the Kidde Auto Model mounted in the "Beer Cooler" under the floor in the back. I thought about mounting on the rear door or in the drink holders but if you get hit there, that is a hella mess to clean. Plus my buddy who is a cop siad that sometimes the FE will blow in hot temps so I hope that if my does blow, that the floor cover will contain a lot of the mess.
Problem with that location is when you usually need it, you need it quickly.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
559 Posts
What happens if you get T-boned? Wouldn't you risk injury if the FE is in the door?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
max6spd said:
What happens if you get T-boned? Wouldn't you risk injury if the FE is in the door?
You just gave up your location. LOL :) If it exploded, it wouldn't be that big of a blast. The dam thing is pretty sturdy. Maybe you'd get a handle in your leg if it happens just right? I like that location, if there is a fire it's right there, and it looks cool. No one has got T boned yet, but with sliders I seriously doubt anything would make it in that far, remember, the vehicle is going to give on the tires sideways. MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
178 Posts
Muzikman said:
alpine7513 said:
I have the Kidde Auto Model mounted in the "Beer Cooler" under the floor in the back. I thought about mounting on the rear door or in the drink holders but if you get hit there, that is a hella mess to clean. Plus my buddy who is a cop siad that sometimes the FE will blow in hot temps so I hope that if my does blow, that the floor cover will contain a lot of the mess.
Problem with that location is when you usually need it, you need it quickly.
I may be fat, but I am a swift fat bastard when fire is involved
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,484 Posts
I used a 10 BC to save a couple who crashed and caught fire, They both got knocked out and could not run. We (fellow driver) used the FE to fight our way to them and pulled them out. Mind you, that 10BC don't do much, just enough if you use it right. Now, had they had one in the door, we could have used it. He was a painter and the stuff he uses was exploding in the back of the truck. I'd say for sure, sure! It will keep a small fire from getting very large, but it has no hope of making a large fire small. I should go get one! MC
 

·
on line
Joined
·
358 Posts
So what kind and size of FE do you have? The dry chemical are very inexpensive but make a smelly mess. The CO2 are clean but cost more. Halon are clean and great but are very expensive. The small 2 lb FEs will only piss off a fire, 5lb are a minuim and a 10 lb would be great.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
my buddy who is a cop siad that sometimes the FE will blow in hot temps
Carried one on floor next between seat and door (in AZ) over 5 years offroad. Never had any issues.. Anyone seen DefibVT's FE location? In the window sill (allowing for larger canister) in back w/ rubber straps holding it still. Very nice..
 

·
on line
Joined
·
13 Posts
The only thing that worries me about the door location is the FEs flying around in a rollover. Same location could be made secure with some kind of strap or something.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
27 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your roof after the fire?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
rca2222 said:
The only thing that worries me about the door location is the FEs flying around in a rollover. Same location could be made secure with some kind of strap or something.
I know, old thread, but it was already brought to the top. :)

No worries about storing it in the door. It fits snug enough that during a roll over it's not going to come out.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top