Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a better bike rack, the cheap Amazon specials have got me this far but when I got them I knew they just don't do the trick for the long term.

Of course I have a few issues to overcome. I did some looking around to see what others are using, but I see a lot of you are going with interior or roof mounting options, and that is a no go for me. In camping loadout it has to be a hitch mount, and even that is in the way because I'm living out of the rear hatch on trips. I use a rear slide out as a kitchen.

Low mounts that the bike rests on by the wheels work well. When I take the bike off, the slide comes out over top of it so I can still get to things. It's still in the way but not so much I can't get around it. Although this product has caught my attention, sort of a swing away for hitch mounts: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/ however I'm not crazy about extra junk to rattle, stick out and kill my clearance, or worry about failing.

For the bike rack, I found what I think might work, but it's a nice mess of business misadventure.

First I found this: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

Then I found it was some kind of issues between companies, I'm not sure who did what to who so it's hard to pick an ethical side, but at it's most simple, it appears the designer parted ways with what is now called 1UP and has his own very similar but none the less interesting offering here: https://quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-2-heavy-duty-1-bike-rack

Of the 2 I think I like the "Mach 2" better (they tried to steal each-others names so it gets confusing....) for the changes made to the design. That guy appears to be a designer of sorts, and I can see where he's been trying to make improvements. Frankly having designed stuff myself, I like that he's trying to find things to make it better.

However, the current company named 1UP seems to be in a much more professional position. I could place an order now and probably get a product. The QUIKR STUFF vendor seems to be ran by the designer mentioned, the rack I think I like better, doesn't seem to have anything going for him even if I wanted to say "here take my money" I can't find where to put it, how much it will cost, or anything. So my assumption there is a lot of talk but he's not actually open for business.

Have any of you guys used these mounts on an X and have any recommendations or advice? Or just share my situation and have some ideas?

I'd like to take my bike on longer trips that may incorporate rough roads, so called "overland" style trips so the rack needs to handle being bounced around, and have good security and a way to lock most everything up securely.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 1UP is a recent, good lightweight system that I've seen others I mtb with use. Not familiar with quality of Quickrack nor can vouch for the durability of either on long trips and rough wheeling. I've been using the Thule T2 on my 2" receiver for years, very beefy, durable, tried and true, never an issue, although heavier at about 60 lbs. You can dual lock each arm at the release handle and cable loop. Since I have the tire carrier, I use a 12" extender but an 8" should also work. The T2 has been upgraded and it's even better, extension available to add 2 more bikes. I have a pic in my Garage.

Good luck w your choice, report back.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I have a previous model year of this one.

https://www.yakima.com/fullswing

They're spendy, but solid, carry and lock up you bikes, and swing completely out of the way for easy rear hatch use.
Hey Rob thx for providing the info. Does that carrier also work well with the MaxGear gas can holder rear bumper set up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
3,965 Posts
Hey Rob thx for providing the info. Does that carrier also work well with the MaxGear gas can holder rear bumper set up?

Honestly, I do not know. I haven't used the bike carrier since I got the Bumper. It swings the bikes all the way to the side of the truck, but I don't know if it will swing them out far enough for the gas can carrier style. It absolutely would work with the non gas can bumper.

That said, you'd need an extension.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'll put a vote in for 1UP. My parents love their double bike rack and, if I ever get my lazy @$$ back into mountain biking, I'll be buying one as well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Another thing to consider is if you have a carbon frame, best to get a rack that does not hook on the top tube, esp when on rough roads. Even with added padding you will mar the frame, my bud’s Nomad had his clear coat rubbed off. Racks that clamp on the tires are best.

One bummer about my older T2 is since I’m on the 33” spare, the Shrock swing arm will not clear the rack’s step up, meaning the tire hits it as it swings out. You can swing it some and open the hatch only partly. Keep this in mind, and not sure of the latest gen T2. A drop extension can solve this but of course will lessen departure angle.

It sure is a beefy rack, I’ve taken it on plenty trips since I also race mtb for a shop.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've had my 1Up for about 7 or 8 years. Never let me down. One big plus is that it's a single tray rack and therefore very light and easy to install and remove from the truck. If it were much heavier I'd probably leave it on all the time and it would weather much faster. I also have one of the add-on trays for the rare occasion I haul two bikes. Big fan of modularity and lightweight. Loading unloading of bikes is no more than 30 seconds, no joke.

·
TNX Veteran
3,543 Posts

Check out what MaxGear built for me which I use with a bike rack: https://www.thenewx.org/forum/70-product-reviews/275656-maxgear-rear-bumper-review-warning-lots-o-pics.html

I experimented with LOTS of bike racks with my previous swingout carrier (Shrockworks). Not a single hitch-receiver I found was going to fit without an extension.
If you get an extension, you should also get a little clamp thing that makes the extension not rattle around, otherwise your bikes will be flying evreywhere.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've been reading up on all the racks you suggested.

Another thing to consider is if you have a carbon frame, best to get a rack that does not hook on the top tube, esp when on rough roads. Even with added padding you will mar the frame, my bud’s Nomad had his clear coat rubbed off. Racks that clamp on the tires are best.
I think this has made it as a feature I'm definitely looking for. Not carbon frame fancy yet but I do have a rather nice bike, my current rack has already wrinkled the frame decal, I'm glad a decal touches there instead of paint, but I don't like it none the less. I mean it is a MTB after all so it's going to get banged up, but if I can limit it to accidents, that would be nice.

I've had my 1Up for about 7 or 8 years. Never let me down. One big plus is that it's a single tray rack and therefore very light and easy to install and remove from the truck. If it were much heavier I'd probably leave it on all the time and it would weather much faster. I also have one of the add-on trays for the rare occasion I haul two bikes. Big fan of modularity and lightweight. Loading unloading of bikes is no more than 30 seconds, no joke.
Sounds great and what caught my eye on them. I frequently alternate between my X and my 4runner, and it would be nice to quickly swap the rack from one to the other. It's been getting a bit annoying choosing vehicle based on the bike rack.

The feature that bothers me on the 1UP is how it mounts in the receiver without a hitch pin, seems it's some kind of friction ball lock. I'm all about no rattle but I do like the safety of a mechanical stop so that even if it works loose it's not going to eventually work out of the receiver. I've read of a few incidents of 1UP's parting company with the vehicle and while it seems very rare it gives me pause, especially since I have a habit of finding wash boarded gravel roads a lot and the likelihood of it working loose seems to favor folks who drove on rougher roads.

Now some had solutions to lock the rack to the hitch with a bike lock or some jerry rigged contraption, but you pay that much for a rack I'm not too pleased at the idea of figuring out stop gaps because of a design problem.

That is a feature it looks like that designer that somehow has become QUIKRACK seems to have addressed in the latest design. It has a part that grabs the hitch pin hole, and even though it retains the friction lock it has that as a safety.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anybody.suggest the Rockymounts Monorail? I'm stoked on mine and it's really beefy... Really beefy. I recently got rear ended (rack was up, no bike) by this guy and the rack took the full hit unscathed, his car.. Not so much.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I recently got the newer Thule T2 XT Pro (?) and have been impressed so far. Expensive, heavy, and solid. It’s pretty high though swings down so that I can open the rear hatch all the way even bikes on it. I have an aftermarket rear bumper with integrated hitch, though no gas or tire carrier, so I can’t say comment on the compatibility there. And it locks in tight to the hitch.
https://www.rei.com/product/117245/thule-t2-pro-xt-2-bike-hitch-rack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
+1 vote for the 1up. I bought the HD version 3 years ago and have used it extensively off road (drove it through Elephant Hill and Bobbies Hole once) and it has never failed me.

Not touching the frame is critical, the tires add enough compliance that the vibrations of off road doesn't effect the bike at all. I haul everything but the fatbikes with mine.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck w your choice, report back.
I went with the 1UP super duty single. First drive with it today. Very impressed with it so far but will see how I like it after several loading/unloading sessions. I threw my bike on yesterday and was like, that's it? Naw I got to do something else.... I did overdo it with the locks a bit but I probably won't do that except when traveling. Although I've had dirtbags case my bike before while I was IN the truck, so I always lock it.

My only real concern with the rack was addressed as I got the super duty model which is made to fit only a 2" receiver, not the 1.25" lawn mower, oops I'm sorry, car hitch. A locking pin was included and you stick that in the regular hitch pin hole and it acts as a safety to keep it from falling out if it by chance loosens itself and as a theft deterrent. It was the 1.25" hitch or dual hitch models that had a cheesy hack method of a safety lock.

It looks like the "newer design" Mach 2 one model is wrought with start up issues, apparently people have been waiting years to get that one. They are not 1UP but was started by the original designer of what is sold as the 1UP. I got the 1UP in a few days.

I'm not sure how necessary it is but I got the license plate mount and am going to rig up some lighting that plugs into the trailer plug. On the road out of state I may move my plate out there to avoid any hassles. Actually with just the one bike on it my plate is more visible now than with my old rack when loaded. But when folded up for storage it entirely covers my plate.

I'll try to get pics later if I think of it when I ride this afternoon. I think it fits the Xterra nicely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use the Kuat NV 2.0 base and it has been great for the last three years. I moved from Nevada to Virginia with it and my bikes never budged or did I even worry about them back there. It holds the bikes by the wheels so you don't have to worry about damaging your bike. It has a locking hitch pin and a hand tightening cam that basically tightens up the connection to the hitch so it doesn't wobble.

The only issue I had was that the Nevada sun faded the front wheel cradles when I kept it on the truck all summer, but one call to Kuat and I had new front arms in about 2 days. It is a little heavy as well so that is why I just leave it on the X most of the time and I ride about 4 days a week so no point in lugging that thing in and out.

Also with the new trend with longer and slacker bikes pay attention to the wheel base. A lot of racks were designed before the new trend. I have a Whyte S-120 coming next week and it is going to barely fit on my rack. The Kuat has a max wheelbase of 48 inches and the S-120 in Medium has a 47.8 wheelbase so hopefully I don't have to buy a new rack.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a photo of the setup from last week. 1UP rack fits the Xterra perfectly. Holds the bike nice and snug up to the rear.

You can open the hatch if you lean the bike down and with the bike off I still have full access to my pull out slide.

Unfortunately, between the weather and my riding buddy suffering an injury, we didn't get to hit any trails despite being right in MTB central of the Smokey Mtns. We did hit up the Hub and Sycamore cycles in Brevard.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
Airmapper
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing