Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup...just thought I'd let the masses know i've officially ditched the gibson muffler and had something else welded in its place. More info (and some pics) to come, but keep in mind it's 90% Gibson (all the piping from the original kit) and 10% other (muffler). Honestly, the only way I could be any happier is if the jack-hole that did the welding had done a better job - the sound is perfect, ground clearance is amazing, and top end power is SUPERB.

Back in the days of having a stock exhaust, I remember my x would CONSTANTLY be shifting up and down all the time...almost like it couldn't find the right gear or something. Anyway, when the gibson went on, I noticed it remedied that problem of overshifting completely, but it still felt really restricted. I also noticed my gas mileage was still not any better than 15mpg on 99.99% freeway miles (cruising @ 65 w/ cruise on the whole way). The dealer insisted it was my driving style, but i had a friend drive it and he actually confirmed it...his brand new v8 tahoe gets better gas mileasge AROUND TOWN than i do driving ONLY FREEWAYS. (what a load of crap...i couldn't believe it) Anyway, that exhaust sound got old really quick so i improvised and had the company i used to work for get me a universal muffler. After 3 tanks of gas and the same exact driving conditions i've noticed my freeway mpg is up to 17.XX!!! Not spectacular, but i'm definitely happy with that. One of the biggest contributing factors I believe that helped her was the straight-through design. Not only is the tone of the exhaust note PERFECT, but it never gets old (even my gf who hates exhaust drone more than anything commented on how nice it sounds...score!)

I will try and get some good pics and maybe a video or two up after i move...things are smashed into a box right now.

***One more thing to note: I've come from the quick car camp, so i understand the x is in no way "fast", however I have to comment that once i had replaced both restrictive exhausts with the current one, my top end power is amazing (yes, i said amazing). Getting on the freeway was decent before, never having been too much of a problem...but now you stomp, she screams and gets you going QUICK. It also seems to pull through the power band ALOT smoother than ever before. I guess all things i've said are somewhat obvious benefits of having an aftermarket exhausts...i guess i was just so unimpressed with the gibson that this new one shines so damn bright!

·
on line
750 Posts
Good to hear. I may look into a new exhaust in the next year or two. I get tons of overshifting driving in the mountains and I have a feeling it's because the engine is not breathing as well as it should.

At the very least, I will have the Y pipe redone into something less retarded.

·
on line
896 Posts
TXterra37 said:
xterrock said:
Just replacing the stock muffler with aftermarket while keeping stock pipes makes a noticeable difference.
Hmm, never thought about that route. Any pointers as to aftermarket options available for us?
it won't matter, they are just going to cut the muffler off, get you a new one, then weld it on. I got one for about $60 that was a clone of the flowmaster 40 series, sounds awesome

·
on line
750 Posts
I've rarely seen a crappier Y than on our trucks. It always blows me away that car companies would make a kick ass motor then ruin it with terrible exhaust pipes etc.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
My fiancees 2003 3.5L Altima is even worse. I know I know its a nissan, and the engineers who do the exhaust on one vehicle probably have an influence on others, but still... I am willing to bet that alot of the nissans are like that.

·
on line
443 Posts
yea, I am boing to have mine replaced soon. already have the new muffler so might as well finish it up.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
If you get the correct inlet outlet positions and size, the muffler lines up and fits perfectly with the stock pipes. I got the ultraflo.

·
on line
15 Posts
there are some people on this forum that do not like the Banks exhaust but it addresses both issues. The muffler is a straight through design and there is a very noticeable difference. And even with the lift kit I still get in the 19 mpg range at 65 mph.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
XterraDude said:
Quick question that kinda pertains to this thread. Welding exhaust tube, would that be Mig or Tig welding? How difficult is it to weld a new muffler on??
i think most exhaust shops Mig weld. it isnt hard at all if you remove the entire exhaust. just lining up the pipes is the hardest part.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
matrix12480 said:
XterraDude said:
Quick question that kinda pertains to this thread. Welding exhaust tube, would that be Mig or Tig welding? How difficult is it to weld a new muffler on??
i think most exhaust shops Mig weld. it isnt hard at all if you remove the entire exhaust. just lining up the pipes is the hardest part.
Agreed- it is not too hard. MIG will work just fine; TIG will be pretty. Turn the heat down and take your time, though; that exhaust tubing is fairly thin gauge material. I welded on a glass-pack in lieu of the factory muffler years back when I had a Chevy Silverado, and it was a pretty painless job.

·
on line
63 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Nice, just have to hook up w/ a local muffler shop?
PM me if you want the place I use.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
matrix12480 said:
it isnt hard at all if you remove the entire exhaust. just lining up the pipes is the hardest part.
The guy who did mine left the stock exhaust on the car and Sawzalled the muffler off and welded in the new muffler. This way there will be no issues of pipes not lining up and clearance problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts