Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to be the guinea pig? The pics don't with the lights on makes me kind of weary how bright the lights are going to be. Or, it could be that they are just angled to try and avoid as much flash as possible to reduce any blurring. If someone does decide to purchase them, can you please post rear shot pics with one LED tail light on one side and the other stock tail light with the other to compare light output.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=120194486382&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Im interested to see what they look like installed

·
on line
1,638 Posts
This was actually a mod I've been planning to do to my stock tails. Nice to see what it could look like. I was estimating the total cost of parts to be in the area of $50 at most.

·
on line
59 Posts
hey guys, this is what i did to my stock tails. I actually recommend this over those ebay lights because it uses the stock housing and reflector so you get the 'full-circle' effect...not just a bunch of LEDs crammed together. Plus, you'll save lots of $$$. You could find a pair of LED bulbs for about $15 shipped. Resistors are cheap too...at your local electronics store.

I spliced a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor to the bulbs (note the quick-disconnect splices for easy removal). I mounted the resistor on an aluminum plate i made at work. This acts as an extra heatsink to make sure the thing doesn't heat up too much (it barely gets warm even after leaving the flashers on for several minutes)

Next I stuck on some all-weather velcro to the back of the plate:

then I mounted it on the inside of the housing like this:

This is how the LED bulb looks. It's an 18-LED 360 degree bulb I got off ebay (be sure to get red....its the brightest)

And this is how it looks when lit up:

Here's a video I took to compare the LED bulb with a stock bulb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz4D3kWlCbA

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Wow awesome job man, looks like ill be doing this to my tails. A little off topic but do you have that Avatar picture in full size?

·
on line
59 Posts
wow that was quick...lol

thanks, and yes i do have my avatar pic in full size. It was taken here in Vancouver a couple of days after i bought it in '06. Do I smell an XOTM nomination? :bounce: j/k

·
on line
1,206 Posts
lol...
That is an awesome pic man. Submit it!!

·
on line
59 Posts
hollywoodstylin said:
X-Prophet said:
Here's a video I took to compare the LED bulb with a stock bulb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz4D3kWlCbA
When looking at the video, I didn't see any difference in actual brightness of the tails. They looked the same to me. However, the LED light did flash a little faster.
The bulbs are about the same brightness.....but my whole purpose wasn't to get a brighter signal. I just wanted the quicker response time of the LEDs. They're not necessarily flashing at a faster rate...just more responsive and crisp. LEDs go ON/OFF. Stock bulbs fade in and out.

·
on line
59 Posts
jackattack said:
x-prophet --

Is that mod just for the turn signals? Can you do the same with the brake lights/tail lights?
actually....it's even easier for the brake/tail lights. You don't even need a resistor, since there is no flasher. Simply swap the bulb and you're done. Just be sure that the bulb is a dual-beam 3157, and not a single-beam 3156 like the turn signals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts