Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went Hunting in Pagosa Springs And found some old Jeep trails on Jackson Mountain with some nice rock climbs and stream crossings and Mud. Finally got the Rig Dirty and on some rock water and dirt. Buddy of mine was with me who has a Frontier Pro 4 x Stock told me he has all new respect for Xterras

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Good thing your buddy found a wonderful new realm of respect for xterras...considering he is basically driving one in that frontier.

Atleast you guys got out and enjoyed them though. This post is relatively useless without pictures though:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Good thing your buddy found a wonderful new realm of respect for xterras...considering he is basically driving one in that frontier.
Having owned, both an '09 Frontier and a '10 Xterra, I can positively say that the Xterra is noticeably better offroad than the Frontier. A lot more maneuverable on tight trails also...

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
There Xterra wheelbase is 106.3" and the Frontier is 125.9".
I was well aware of the wheel base differences when I made the comment. The ground clearance, approach angle, departure angle, and breakover angle ALL end up being very similar to the Xterra.
While those measurements do make a big difference at times. The absolute biggest difference between two such similar vehicles is the driver.
It's like comparing a Wrangler Sport to a Wrangler Sahara etc etc.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It would be more like comparing a Wrangler Sport to a Rubicon (owned that too lol). Its really not just the driver. Same driver, the Xterra went over a lot of trails and obsticals that the Frontier struggled with. I always made it with the Frontier, but I spun and drug the frame rails and skids a lot more. I wheeled both all over CO. I beat the crap out of the poor Frontier, but it always made it up after a few attempts. I rarely hit the skids or struggled with the Xterra.

The difference is the weight over the rear axle, the break over angle, and the difference in ground clearance (small). The Xterra also has a much better turning radius.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts