Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just got a 2006 X about 2 weeks ago and have been doing research of what upgrades I should get. Heres my current list that I have:
Calmini 2.5" Suspension // http://www.purenissan.com/2_5_shackle_kit.htm
Shrockworks front and back bumpers // http://www.shrockworks.com/Nissan/
Havent decide on tires yet, between probably 33-35" tires, I'm not sure of what to look for in a tire and also I know its hard to find specific wheels for X's, is there someplace I should be looking that I'm probably not looking?
6x PIAA 6" Daylighters, 4 for the rack 2 for the front bumper.

Okay now what I really need to know, what order should I be getting these upgrades in? I kow that before I get tires I will need to get the lift, but lets say if I order the bumpers without getting a lift or tires (mind you my X is running stock) will it weigh the front and back down to much to the point where I wont be able to go over anything? Please any info would help! I need to know mainly if theres anything else I need to get to get the lift and such. I plan on installing everything myself as I dont want to spend 500+ to install something that I could do in 1 full day. PLEASE KEEP IT IN LAYMAN'S TERMS, I'M NOT SUPER EXPERIENCED WITH WORKING ON VEHICLES. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
First off welcome......

Okay, there is no way you will be able to run 35's with that lift, Im running 35's (barely) and have about 6-7" of lift..... so you will be wanting to get 33's (285/75/16 or **255/85/16 in metric).

That lift you picked is a pretty good budget lift, but I know that some people (mcampana) will probably ring in and say to get the top gunz spacers for the front rather than the calmini ones (it doesnt really matter unless you want to really really pinch pennies).

Now the shrockworks bumpers will add weight but not too much to where you wont be able to go off road or anything. but honestly if you really want to go wheeling then your first purchase from shrockworks should be sliders.

Now the lights... well i dont know much about lights soooo someone else will have to chime in on that one.... but im sure that if you are planning on running six of them then pretty much anything will do!! You dont plan on running baja races or anything, right?? LOL if not than any set of lights that put out ~55w will do fine!!

As for the order that you should purchase things.... this is what I did....

1. sliders 2. lift 3. rear bumper 4. tires 5. different lift (lol) 6. front bumper 7. skid plates 8. BIGGER LIFT 9. BIGGER TIRES

**Second tire size edited.

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awsome, thanks for the info... if I was to get the 35's I was planning on upgrading to the 5 inch calmini lift... and I'm not sure on what your stance is on the calmini lifts... should I go with a different brand of lift, also, will a 5" lift be to hard for me to install by myself being that I dont have much experience? Will the 3" lift even be to hard?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well you are asking the right person!!! I had no experience with lifts at all previous to this truck!!!

here is the deal... you will spend alot of money on tools and such, so if you want a shop to do it I wont fault you at all..... but..... I have put everything on my truck myself (with some help from my Pop who doesnt know his left arm from his rigtht).

I had the AC spring lift with adjustable ranchos..... then I switched to radflo lift.... Now I am running the 5" calmini lift with extended radflos. All of this was installed by me...... so It can be done by someone with little or no experience!! Just make sure you ask alot of questions..... everyone here will help even with the stupidest questions!!!

If you plan on getting the Calmini 5"lift.... then I would order it now... It took about five months to get to my door from time of purchase. As for the other calmini lift Im sure they have it in stock. Check out my thread on how you can make the calmini 5" lift even better...

check here.... http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3197

Good luck!

·
on line
26 Posts
Welcome to the board !

I would sugesst putting the lift in before adding the bumpers, just because they will add some weight to the truck and cause minor drooping once settled. The lift will hide that.

Now, if off-road is your game get the sliders and skids, first.

As S_e_X-Terra stated the 35's will not fit with 2.5 Calmini lift, but a 255/85/16 will. Now, the other thing to consider is how much on-road driving you do. You might want to consider an AT over the MT if you are doing alot of road driving, but would still like the ability to hit some off road trails. Many guys run the 265/75/16 BFG AT's. It's about a 32 inch tire, looks fairly aggesive, and has great reviews.

My purchase order is as follows and is like this because I'm an idiot and failed to do my research.

1. Shrock front and back bumper 2. PRG mini deavers and spacers 3. Need to save more money!

What I would've done had I not jumped the mod gun.

1. Sliders 2. Skids 3. Tires 4. Lift 5. Bumpers 6. Winch

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know, I almost ordered my new bumpers this morning lol, glad I didnt now. Also what other mods can I do that will be like >200 that will maybe add fuel efficiency. Also I do plan on doing loads and loads of offroading as this is what I got the X for but to get to these offroad places I will be driving 2-3 hours one way probably once every two weeks but also I am a delivery driver so I put about 100 miles a day on her. I care more about the X then I do my job and have a job as a manager being offered to me as opposed to being a pizza driver. Basically what that entire ramble was saying is I do quite a bit of driving but I can cut it down if the looks of the tires are worth it, I'm willing to cut my budget.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well put switch!!!... everyone should be as honest as you when it comes to "jumping the mod gun" (I know i did thats why i whent throught three different friggin' lifts LOL)

Any way 285/75/16's are 32.8x11.2

And....... 255/85/16's are 33.1x10

So they are both basically 33's but one is a skinny tire and one is slightly fatter.... both sizes are being run by multiple people and nobody has anything bad to say about either size of tire!!

hope this helps

·
on line
26 Posts
Thanks for encouragement S_E_X-Terra !!! I guess it comes down to MC's quote "Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards." So true.

Fuel efficiency that's a tough one. Keep your tires inflated, your loads light, and drive with your windows up.

With as many miles as you are driving on the road, I personally would go with 265/75/16 BFG AT's. You can get an 8 ply tire (D rated) or a 10 ply (E rated) it's couple dollar difference from D to E. These would probably be better mileage wise, then the MT's. Now, I've never had MT's so somebody may chime in and let you know about their experiences or you could search as this has been discussed quite abit.

Now as for mods check out the linky below. One that really interested me was the diff breather mod.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2742

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay Atom... you are talkning about driving alot and gas mileage now... earlier you were talking about a lift and big tires..... Trust methose two things do not go together!!

If you want big tires and a lift that is great (I love it) but if you are talking good gas mileage then that is a totally different thing (trust me I have tried everything with 35 inch tires)! There is not a good way (or any way in fact) to get good gas mileage out of a truck that has big tires on it. Even if you regear it (which none are available right now)... you still wont get the same gas mileage as with smaller tires and factory gears.

Okay I did my ramble... the only things that can slightly increase fule effeciency are... 1. intake (this may not even increase it... dont trust what the manufacturer puts on paper) 2. exhaust with mandrel bent pipe (this will help slightly) 3. headders (this will also help slightly)

other than that I dont believe there is anything!!!

(I have intake, exhaust, and headers on my truck and I still get piss poor gas mileage)!

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No what I said is I'm willing to give up my gas mileage but I would like to try and increase it as much as possible. I wasnt talking about shrinking down the tires or anything to get better mileage but rather new exhaust, intake, etc. Looks are more important to me then paying a couple extra bucks when I fill my tank.

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also S_E_X what is your gas mileage on your truck? Is that it in your avatar? That thing is seeeexy if it is, got any more pics?

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is one of the sickest X's ive seen to date, excellent work on that thing. Also are there any other mods you guys would recommend, I've been reading forums and things for days because literally before I got the X I had NO experience in working on cars but the day I got it I felt like a mechanic and just wanted to do stuff to it, sadly I dont know anything I can really do upgradewise.

·
on line
641 Posts
switch540 said:

You should distinguish the Front bumper from the Rear bumper.
You want to get a Winch in conjunction with the Front bumper,
because you need to know the winch will fit into the bumper, but
you also likely want to have the winch before the bumper arrives,
so you can 'start installation right away'.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Whoa, Nelly... slow down there, Atom...

I am gonna go a little against the grain here (maybe). You said the X is only 2 weeks old. Can I ask your four-wheeling background? I mean, the X is my 2nd or 3rd offroad toy, and quite a bit different from the rest. I would recommend spending sometime getting used to your rig in its stock form; this will really help you to know and appreciate all the mods that you are spending your hard earned money on. The X is a pretty capable rig in its stock set-up, and I would take it through some easy and moderate trails and get used to how it reacts to things. I know how easy it is to jump on the mod bandwagon because it is what everybody else is doing, but what others are doing may not work for you! I speak from experience on this one... I spent about $4K bolting locked/geared Toyota axles and 35" MTRs on a Samurai that wheeled just fine with the 33's it had, only to part it out later for <$3K - only because everybody else was doing it. MC's quote is true, so listen to those who have been there!

That being said, sliders should be first on the to-do list. The X is pretty low in stock form, and sliders are great cheap insurance. I told myself I wouldn't do any real wheeling till I got them, and man am I glad I didn't. I bolted up my sliders the week of my Moab trip and used them plenty!

Soon enough you'll discover the need for a little bit of lift (that is where I'm at - got the X back in Nov). Like I said, the X is just a tad low, but a few trail runs were what drove me to that realization; ie, first hand experience.

What is next? I dunno. Future trail runs will show me to where to best spend the next few bucks, or maybe the basic set-up will work just fine. Remember, it is how you wheel, what you need, your budget, reliability, warranty, etc, etc. But get it there and use it and discover what it can do. Then, build to suit your needs.

That's my philosophy. Happy 'wheeling! :cheers: ~Steve

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome advice, thanks for taking the time to write that post rocky. I definitely agree with you on the taking it slow, its just so hard and I'm so excited. But also I have been planning on getting an X for a good year or two so I have been saving my money for a long time and have a good chunk of change to throw away into my new toy without even thinking twice about it, all in all right now I have like 2000 to put into it right away which is why I wanted to know what I should start with. I think I decided to order the sliders and skid plates in the meantime while I'm waiting to get enough money for everything else. How long does it generally take shrockworks to send out the sliders/skid plates?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well if you ae lucky he has the skid plates in inventory, but the sliders I doubt that he has those on hand... so you are looking at around 6 weeks or so (I guess... I have never really waited for anything... well except the front bumper). Im one of the lucky ones that live really close to Jim's (shrockworks) shop. Just order now and expect to get them in a couple of months... If he has some of the stuff on hand he will send those right away.

OH,,,, by the way.... that is awesome that you have enough money to... Uh... Ummm... Urrr... "throw away" at your X but know this... what you get will never be enough... like it was stated earlier.... know exactly what you want/need before you buy it.

Take me for example... I have the shrock rear bumper without the tire carrier.... Now I must buy a new one because i didnt have the foresight to see that I would need one. (A 35" tire is too much of a pain in the ass to get on and off the roof of the X). Also I went through three different lifts before I was finally satisfied with what I have now (and I still want more [body lift anyone?]).

Lets just say that mods are addictive and you will never be satisfied... especially since you get to look at my truck and know that yours wont ever look this good :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
on line
26 Posts
dpatton said:
switch540 said:

You should distinguish the Front bumper from the Rear bumper.
You want to get a Winch in conjunction with the Front bumper,
because you need to know the winch will fit into the bumper, but
you also likely want to have the winch before the bumper arrives,
so you can 'start installation right away'.
Had I made my mod purchases with a clear head, I would've bought the Shrock rear bumper /w tire carrier, first. Then the Shrock front bumper. Ideally, you would
want your winch before you installed your front bumper. However, in my case I would rather buy the bumper before my winch, because I want to improve my angle of attack and I personally don't mind removing the bumper to install the winch later on. Of course the front bumper is also and instant gratification mod; unlike a winch that would sit in my house waiting a couple months for it's new home to arrive from Shrockworks.

As for a winch, I would go with the Ramsey Rep 9.5E with an Amsteel line. My decision is based on the fact that we know it will work with the Shrock bumper, Ramsey makes a solid product, and it exceeds my needs. I would go with the Amsteel line for the obvious reasons that it super strong and will reduce the weight on my front end dramatically.

Atom, as far as how long does it generally take Shrockworks to send out the sliders/skid plates it's a gamble. You could realistically expect 6 to 8 weeks+. However, if Jim just finishes a batch or has some pre-made you'll get them sooner. His products are killer, so the wait is way worth it! After you order your sliders and skids get those tires. They will make your wheeling capabilities better, make your rig look sick, and also give you a true lift!

S_e_X-Terra said:
Lets just say that mods are addictive and you will never be satisfied... especially since you get to look at my truck and know that yours wont ever look this good
Mods are like crack !!! So bad that I my girlfriend suggests I join XMA. She also insisted I never scream "Eddo's X is hot, damn hot", while we're bumping uglies ever again or my ugly will not be bumping anymore. She just don't understand.

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whoa whoa whoa okay... I went to go and order my sliders and it had an option for if you have a 2-3 inch lift, does that mean that the sliders are different for an x with a lift? Will I need to get a lift before the sliders so I dont have to buy another set of the sliders post-lift? thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts